A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
813 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cow Skull- real  (Read 6652 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006 05:20:42 PM »

doesnt't seem wierd to us here either. RIght now I'm looking at a bin with two horse skulls and various bones in it. My son is a fabulous artist and was going to use these for his work. We have had these items sitting on our roof in the sun for over a year yes winter as well. They are very white and bright and nothing  gross on them at all. He did have them in the garden near an ant pile for a few weeks but the roof and sun thing worked just great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chamaecyparis
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006 05:26:29 PM »

The best option is dermestid beetles.

If you use these, just be careful.  I've heard that if they get loose in your house they will eat everything!

And, I don't think you are wierd, but that's probably because I'm even wierder, and often have projects involving animal skulls or bones or hides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosie posie
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006 05:30:18 PM »

I was going to say exactly what teapotdkny suggested. Ants and sun will take care of it.

You think you're weird... my stepmother lined a Santa Clause doll's cloak with roadkill fur. Trust me, bones are much easier to deal with than hide. Or pelt, or whatever you call it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrl82
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006 05:35:54 PM »

cool. I want a real skull. I wish my dad still hunted so I could get one. all well... Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come and join the Inuyasha Swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=78764.0

Celebrate all things Fae in the Fae Swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=79942.0
crafthippie
I <3 System of a Down!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006 05:37:55 PM »

lol I feel for you; weirdly enough I use to have MANY skulls hanging around my room and decorating my backyard! Tongue

To git rid of all the nasty bacterial you have to let it soak in water and every week or so or when the water starts to get yucky change the water. When the water stays clean, then you can go ahead and soak it in your regular old hyrdogen peroxide and that'll bleach it out; that is if you want it bleached!

I once say a cow skull on this big piece of polished wood and it was a clock! It was awesome! You could even paint "tribal" symbols on the forehead area or whatever! lol Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Bombed and being bombed are the same things on different sides of the fence."
         ~Serj Tankian - System of a Down <3
kraphtee87
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2006 02:38:11 AM »

Wow!  I wasn't expecting such a response!  Cheesy There is no biological material left on the skull, or else I wouldn't've picked it up at all.  Ew.  There is, however, a spider web in the brain cavity.  Roll Eyes (kinda like some guys I know  Wink)  I'm just gonna brush that out and leave it outside for a little bit.  It's deffinitely dried out and everything.  My mom is a bit weirded out.  She was like "You know.. Jeffery Dauhmer collected animal skulls."  I was like "Well he also killed those animals, so HA."  She was just crazy-talkin' me.  You know how mothers are when they don't understand your wild creativity.  Roll Eyes I didn't tell her that I had to cross over a barbed wire fence and through a crapload of little trees to get it.  haha.  I'm contemplating which method to use to whiten the skull.  I don't really wanna leave it outside on my room for a year, that's for sure.  I want it in my room NOOOOOOOW.  I'm very impatient.  Grin  The skull does have horns, but they're little and one got its tip broken off.   :oI just remembered something!  I think there might be another skull in out barn, and it has bigger horns. *dances around*  I'll have to go look today.  I'll be home alone, and won't be bugged by one of my parents for being weird.  Wink  Well thank you so much for all your input!!  I promise to post pictures once I finish my project!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scrappygirl085
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006 02:46:05 AM »

My husband (a deer hunter) did this a few years ago.  Instead of the traditional taxidermied deer head he -- after removing the tissue and letting it dry -- used one of those big pots like you would fry a turkey in and boiled it clean then soaked it in  bleach/water, which not only turned it a nice white but the bleach killed all leftover bacteria and smell.  DO NOT USE STRAIGHT BLEACH. 

I suppose you could spray it with a sealer afterward, but it may not be necessary.

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grrl82
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006 05:01:44 AM »

There is, however, a spider web in the brain cavity.  Roll Eyes (kinda like some guys I know  Wink

he he Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come and join the Inuyasha Swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=78764.0

Celebrate all things Fae in the Fae Swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=79942.0
Stifflersmom
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006 06:39:59 AM »

Georgia O'keefe used cow skulls all the time in her paintings, so you are in good company!

I think it'd be interesting to paint it in a "dia de los muertos'' sugar skull style.

Post some pics if you can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
magpie_eyes

I like shiny things!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006 06:44:26 AM »

Ah, such fun!   Are you familiar with Georgia O'keeffe's skull paintings?   I think skulls are very pretty - it is the natural progression of nature.  Have fun with it!  lol, I just went to post this and it told me to review my post - Stifflersmom said the same thing - ah well, great minds think alike...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Tofu is Made
How Chinese Vinegar is Brewed
What is the Origin of Vinegar
Chicken Lo Mein Recipe
Spicy Tofu Curry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...