A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brown & Pink Vinyl Long Wallet-Clutch!  (Read 6362 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jasfitz

nobody's little weasel

View Profile WWW
« on: February 15, 2006 10:20:48 AM »

Hello Again!

It's my reading week this week, and instead of doing all the homework/studying I could be doing, let alone working on several large commisions that have been requested of me (weeeell, I'm actually waiting for my screen to dry so i can print) I decided I needed to stretch my sewing muscles a little and get experimental. This is my first time working on something so detailed in such a small format. So this is my own long-wallet pattern! It's definitely just a prototype, but as a friend of mine asked me to create something along these lines for her, it's (cross my fingers) still going to be used & loved, despite imperfections.

So, Without Further Ado:
Front:

Back: (zippered pocket)

Inside: (yes, there's another zippered pocket at the top!)

As an afterthought, full:

It has 6 card slots & I managed to fit 12 cards in them, a large paper money pocket behind them, a photo card slot, a zippered pocket behind that, and a zippered pocket on the back as well. the outside is vinyl, and the inside is a superhigh threadcount poly lining, stiffened with Interfacing.

I'm really pleased with it, despite all the obvious errors such as alignment and imperfect measurments. after all, it's just a prototype (my friend won't mind). It did take bloody forever, though. the next one, i won't be doing each card pocket individually. i thought It would come off as rather chic... but next time, I'll just do three rows with a line sewed down the middle, thankyou. I'm also not crazy about the closure. My friend specifically requested no magnetic snaps for fear of card damage... but she also insisted on not having a tri-fold.... so this was all i could think of (I thought velcro might come off as a little tacky).

The front design, i can't really take credit for. I was showing my friend another crafty site I admire, and she said, "something like that design would be perfect"... so inspiration credit goes to http://www.stitchpixie.com for her 'fifities wallpaper' stylings. (not to worry, my future attempts that i might sell will be using my own designs, so I won't be stepping on Cheryl's toes... I hope she doesn't mind this rendition!)

Sorry about the quick photoshopping- I clearly didn't notice that it made the edges look ragged... they're much cleaner in reality.

so, yup, what do you think? Ideas for the next attempt?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009 12:40:47 PM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jasfitzdotcom - goods that make you giggle!
ITZA
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006 12:39:13 PM »

So what do I think Huh

I think this is AWESOME and I think you did a lovely job.

Vinyl is not easy to work with -
 heck,
I even have trouble spelling the word vinly LOL

Seriously, You have done a great job, very professional looking wallet and you should be very proud of yourself.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookers

crazy is as crazy does

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006 12:49:08 PM »

awesome.  i basically taught myself how to sew, silk screen, make my own jewelry, ect. so its really frustrating me to not be able to figure this question out.

QUESTION : i cant seem to figure this out, or find an answer anywhere on here : HOW do you sew on those tiny buttons(or even sequins)Huh  I usually just end up hand-sewing them on, but its long & annoying, and i never get that "perfect" look.  See the way the buttons look on this wallet, you can tell they were sewed straight along with the seam.

...now that im looking super-close, maybe those arent buttoms, but just "cut-out fabric circles"? i dont know, but either way, does anyone know how to sew on buttons or sequins with a sewing machine, and not by hand??? Pretty please?

Thanks oh so much Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 brooke
jasfitz

nobody's little weasel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006 01:15:54 PM »

yup, I'm afraid they're just teeny circles cut out of vinyl.

When I've sewn sequins with a sewing machine, I'm measured the radius, and just made my stitch length a little larger than that (i.e. at 6 or 8.... but you're guaranteed to lose a few sequins to messiness.... safer to just sew by hand?

I can't say I've ever tried to sew a button via machine.... eek I envision too many broken needles.

ITZA: I always misspell Vinyl as well... you're not alone on that! thanks for your encouragement!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeorgiaN
Fierce Kitten Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006 01:28:45 PM »

Wow that looks awesome!

Where are you getting your vinyl from??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Georgia Nelson
Fierce Kitten Studio
http://www.fiercekitten.com/
brookers

crazy is as crazy does

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006 02:04:27 PM »

where do you purchase your "vinyl appliques" that are on some of your clutches on your website?  I cant ever find them locally, and whenever i search online, i only find cheesy "flower patches", butterflies, ect.  Not that those are bad, they just get boring after awhile.  I really like the silhouettes you use.  Any ideas where I can find them, either online or a craft/fabric store?
Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 brooke
felix-xx
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006 02:10:32 PM »

I think all the little imperfections just make it better.
I'd much rather have a wallet that i've spent so much time, and put so much into, than one that i could buy.
I think it's adorable, I think i may have to make a long-wallet now.
The only problem is that i'll have to make a purse to put it in!
Oh well.
It's absolutely GORGEOUS though, and i love the front.
I live simple, minimalistic decorations like that.
I think you did a magnificent job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want so badly to believe that there is truth and love is real.
jasfitz

nobody's little weasel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006 02:29:16 PM »

Georgiia N - thanks! I get my vinyl from the local fabric stores district here in toronto. I reccomend you go looking for upholstery stores.

Brookers: I'm glad you like my appliqus, but I'm afraid you won't find them in stores: I make them myself Smiley

Felix-xx: THANKS!! yay. You should just go ahead and make one of these as a clutch, and then you don't need a purse Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aneesah
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006 03:22:29 PM »

That looks awesome, I'm amazed at the construction and pattern. So professional and neat.  Smiley

Can I ask how did you do the see-through card slot? Is it vinyl too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
snowflake
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006 06:11:11 PM »

wow, i wish i can sew something like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Understand Bridge Tools
How to Give Instance Names to Symbols in Flash
How to Create Menus for Your Games in Flash
How to Add a Foggy Effect to Your Images
A Photoshop Introduction
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...