A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Please take a moment to congratulate and thank our newest Craftster Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss!
Total Members: 305,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shrimp explosion? (Loopy & Luscious)  (Read 4502 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emling
« on: June 23, 2004 06:57:29 AM »

Over the weekend, I gave Knitty's "Loopy and Luscious" a try.  I can't tell you how much fun I had with this scarf/stole.  It knits up amazingly quickly, and I got sort of a visceral pleasure out of working with two very different, but very high quality yarns (in my case, one ball each of  Rowan Kidsilk Haze and Blue Sky Alpaca Bulky).  Also a nice way to get some serious yardage out of some fairly expensive yarns.

Here it is modelled by my rocking chair . . .

. . . .and modelled by myself:

The end result is unusual, but somehow familiar--the only thing that remains is to figure out what it reminds me of.  Cotton candy accident?  Pink packing peanuts gone mad? Or, as my DH says, an explosion of cocktail shrimp?  What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004 07:35:14 AM »

firstly that is beautiful!! Smiley secondly i was all for the packing peanuts until i read your husband's shrimp suggestion. my vote is for shrimp..hehe but i didn't think that till you mentioned it. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004 02:29:14 PM »

yeah yeah yeah! that is so great-looking! the chubby pink yarn looks like cartoon earthworms to me, or maybe a small intestine? visceral pleasure indeed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
flamgirlant
just your average crafty broad

I may be a woman but I ain't no lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004 02:56:18 PM »

I love it!!  Been looking for a fairly simple, but funky piece to knit.  Thanks for sharing it -- and I LOVE your color choices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkkittypiper
Paper Hoarder

Can't cut a straight line to save my life...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004 03:39:17 PM »

One of a kind!  How long did it take you to make it?  It looks terrific, and I have to say I go with pink styrofoam packing thingies, yep most definitely. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where the wild things are is where I am most at home!
io
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004 04:08:05 PM »

ahh, that looks so lovely! not to diss the knitty version, but yours looks better!

i want to make it now, but being sensitive to wool and mohair and a strict vegetarian (so silk is out of the question too), i'll have to use different yarns.

looks a bit like silly string!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gretchen28
Live, Craft, Share!

Kitt, Let's Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004 11:01:28 PM »

ok i know i'm being redundant redundant, but you have crafted a beautiful thing!!   thanks for the pics.... and i second the shrimp thing.   but dammit, who doesn't love shrimp??   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a Banquet and Most Poor Suckers are Starving to Death
emling
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004 10:31:01 AM »

Thanks, guys!

chubby pink yarn looks like cartoon earthworms to me, or maybe a small intestine? visceral pleasure indeed

Hee, hee--I read that three times before I noticed the joke. 

How long did it take you to make it?

It took one evening of TV (maybe 4 hours?), and an hour or two the next morning.  It takes a few rows to get used to working with the fine gauge yarn on huge needles, but after that it was smooth sailing.

i want to make it now, but being sensitive to wool and mohair and a strict vegetarian (so silk is out of the question too), i'll have to use different yarns.

Any combination of lace-weight and chunky yarns should work ok. Apparently in Debbie New's book, "Unexpeted Knitting" (I think) she uses sewing thread--that makes the backgroud fabric really unobtrusive, and the loops take center stage.  So there's one vegan option for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krampalicious

fire in the disco!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004 11:49:28 AM »

i love fine gauge yarn on big needles.  the drape you get is absolutely luscious.  and i love your scarf, too.  it's different without being something a crazy old lady would wear to the supermarket.  fabulous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004 05:56:25 AM »

That is such a fun scarf!  I have to say it does remind me of coctail shrimp......and I think thats part of what I like about it!  Fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Draw Chibi Kakashi from Naruto
How to Draw the Rascal Flatts
How to Draw E.T. Extra Terrestrial
How to Draw Bugs Bunny
How to Draw a Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Summer Dress
Wonderful Washi
Meatless Monday: Aubergine, Tomato and Goat Cheese Bake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...