A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any big Ontarian groups?  (Read 726 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 14, 2006 04:30:25 PM »

So I was just ambly searching the craftster site, and I found Craftermath, a UK crafters group which holds craft shows, has some nice forums, and a blog with featured crafters/features on areas/all sorts of crafty goodness (Check out www.craftermath.co. uk or craftermath.blogspo t.com)

And the point of this post: does anyone know of anything like this in Canada, or specifically (to cut down travel time Wink), in Ontario?

I've so far found such... less "hip and with it" (ha) organizations such as Crafts Ontario (www.craftsontario.c om), and the Ontario Crafts Council (www.craft.on.ca)

And if there isn't a lovely organization like this, would there be any interest in setting one up, or any input on how one would go about doing it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlene

Feed you purse addiction 24/7!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006 09:45:53 AM »

That's a great idea.  Please keep me posted, or p.m. me with ideas.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dejavugirl
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006 06:20:57 AM »

I too would be interested in finding something along those lines.  (I'm in Ontario too).  In the meantime though here are some other sites I've found that are specifically Canadian, you might find something in one of their listings.

Canadian Arts & Crafts Shows - Listings of Guilds and Galleries http://www.canadianartsandcraftshows.com/guildsgalleries.htm

Arts and Crafts Canada - http://www.artsandcraftsnet.ca/

Craft-Search Canada - http://www.craft-search.ca/

Canadian Craft and Hobby Associations - http://www.cdncraft.org/

Craft Canada - http://www.craftcanada.com  - kind of disappointing

I'd like to see something that's just a little more indie and gritty, if you know what I mean.  I'd support something like that. 

I'd really love to see information about local craft shows that have less tole-painted birdhouses and more skulls-and-crossbones (for example), or see someone start organizing some.  Something like the DIY Trunk Show (the website for which seems to be gone now, alas).  I'm sure there are some things like that going on in Toronto but what about the rest of us who happen not to live in the centre of the Canadian universe?   Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

yamwam
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006 09:24:24 AM »

In Ottawa there's a biannual sale called Not Your Grandma's Craft Sale, in association with Ladyfest Ottawa (a feminist cultural festival). It's a small event, but if you're in the area it's worth going to take a look, because there are loads of talented local artisans selling handmade items ranging from earrings to T-shirts to toilet seat covers. For news about when the next sale will take place, check out www.ladyfestottawa. com. Their photo gallery is under construction, but this is one of the shops that participates: www.workshopboutiqu e.ca.

Anyway, I'm sure there must be something like this elsewhere in Ontario. Come on, even Edmonton, Alberta has a good alternative craft show (Arts vs. Crafts: http://members.shaw.ca/artsvscrafts/index.htm)! But if you can't make it to Ottawa or Edmonton and you really can't find anything like this in your Ontario town, you can't go wrong with the Signatures arts and crafts sale in Toronto (www.signatures.ca--also in Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Vancouver, I think).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loose pleats sink fleets

Wists
dejavugirl
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006 07:24:51 PM »

Well, Toronto's almost 3 hours away from me, and Ottawa is that much further, too bad since that sounds like the kind of craft sale I've been looking for.  I've been trying to find out if there is anything interesting in London (an hour from me).  You'd think there would be since not only is it a fair-sized city, but also with UWO there, there must be some funky and cool craftsters.  Sadly the only events I have been able to find are things like Home County Folk Festival which I do love and attend faithfully but which has such high booth fees that many craftspersons would have a hard time. 

Again, I'd definitely support some type of organization for Canadian / Ontarian craftsters.  Although not TOO organized, that's not our style... or at least it's not MY style.   Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Roronoa Zoro from One Piece Manga
How to Draw Stewie from Family Guy
How to Draw Vector from the Despicable Me Movie
How to a Draw a Minion from the Despicable Me Movie
How to Draw Boa Hancock
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...