A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need a super easy, under 10 hour afghan/throw pattern!  (Read 10669 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Anastasia_Beaverhausen
« on: February 13, 2006 05:32:09 PM »

I JUST learned how to crochet and only know single crochet with 2 strands of yarn.  Does anyone have an incredibly easy and insanely quick throw pattern I could manage?  preferably something that can be done in 10 hours or less and with a single crochet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AuntBecky
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006 07:25:06 PM »

Unfortunately, single crochet is such a small stitch, that it tends to go pretty slow.  I can recommend a super easy pattern that uses double crochet, and you cand finish quickly, but single...oh, that's tough.

I love the look of the granite stitch.  I started an afghan using that, but I had problems keeping count.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/cwe-2colorAfghan.html

This is really pretty and fairly easy, but make sure you count your stitches so that you don't accidently increase or decrease.  If you're new, I'd suggest making it in one color instead of trying to switch back and forth.

The other pattern that looks great is to single crochet in the back loop only.  It makes a ribbed effect. 

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-watr.html

They describe this as advanced beginner, but it is really easy to do. 

Let us know what you end up doing and post a picture.  Good luck and have fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006 07:41:07 AM »

I would also suggest you learn the double crochet as an afghan in single could take a long time and use lots of yarn.

My favorite simple and quick afghan is to take two strands of yarn in either complimentary or contrasting colors (depending on the look you want) and use a size 10 hook (size P) and then make a chain approximately the width you want the afghan.  Then double crochet into the 3rd chain from the hook and into each stitch across.  For Row 2 and on, ch 2, turn, double crochet in each stitch across.  Continue until the afghan in as long as you want and finish off.  You can either leave it like this or using the same yarn, single crochet around the entire outside of the afghan making a border.

I've made this a number of times and it works up very fast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arabella
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006 08:44:07 AM »

there's the 5 1/2 hour throw - I've heard it really can be completed in about that time.

double crochet is easy!  it's just as easy as single crochet!  (if not easier!)  you can definitely do it!

here's the pattern link:  http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/cjif-5.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuvCrochet
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006 03:45:24 PM »

i agree. single crochet will take YEARS.  I make a few hats from single crochet and I hate sc by the end of them
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006 08:05:17 AM »

I have one!!

IT takes FOUR strands of yarn together. Yes.. FOUR! I've only made it in red heard super saver... it IS a yarn hog, that's for sure. I don't remember how many balls it took of each color, but I want to guess it cost me about $30ish total.  Maybe (just guessing here) 4 skeins of each color?!)

Using a big huge hook (I forget what size.. but it's blue plastic and you can get it at walmart/micheals etc) chain 61 LOOSELY. Skip 1 chain and *sc 60 times (to end of row), chain 1, turn. Repeat from the * till it's as long as you want it to be. The 60 chain stitches across come to about 60 inches..  Once you get into the swing of things, each row of 60 stitches can be done in about 5 minutes or less.. and is about an inche tall. So your afghan will grow 20ish inches an hour. 10 hours is MORE than enough! And this makes a really nice heavy afghan that looks lovely with the right color combinations.

A suggestion for color combinations:
Pick 1 varigated colorway.. and then pick 2 colors from that color way.. use 1 strand of that color and 2 strands of the other color .. you can use a neutral color for the 2 strands to tone it down a little.. or ofthe brightest color in the colorway to make it pop.

Good luck!
Jas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006 08:26:57 AM »

Using a big huge hook (I forget what size.. but it's blue plastic

That would be a Q hook.

This sounds like a great pattern - I'm going to try it sometime for a baby size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006 08:49:33 AM »

I've done two afghans the way that artsygal describes... using 3 strands of worsted weight (a Bernat acrylic I think?), and a size Q hook. In fact, one of them was the first crocheted thing I ever made, and it is still one of my favourite afghans - very warm and cosy!

The first one I made using 2 strands of dark green, and one strand of dark green//pink variegated. So it is mostly dark green with flecks of pink throughout. I made another one for my mother using three different solid strands of dark pink, light pink, and pale green. If I was to do another one, I would do it with one variegated and two matching same solids, like the fist one I made and as artsygal suggests. The other one was still nice, but more bland.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OK, I just checked the pattern I used way back when for the first one, and my notes say, "72 oz. worsted weight yarn, use three strands tog, so 24 oz. each strand".  Hopefully my notes are accurate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006 08:46:12 PM »

Whee.. I'm glad people are liking my 'non-pattern' as I call it. I've made it a few times - each time it was given away as a gift. I'll try to get one of the people I  gave it to to take a picture of it for me if he can.. I just realized I don't have a pic of one to put wiht the rest of my finished works.

Jas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
crochetfairy
~~YaRn FrEaK~~

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006 08:44:18 AM »

there's the 5 1/2 hour throw - I've heard it really can be completed in about that time.

double crochet is easy!  it's just as easy as single crochet!  (if not easier!)  you can definitely do it!

here's the pattern link:  http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/cjif-5.html

I have made this afghan before. It really is as quick as the pattern says and double crochet is awesome. Except I used redheart yarn instead of the jiffy yarn it calls for. The afghan still turned out nice. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pm me if you want to do a personal swap

swap partners check out my wist http://www.wists.com/crochetfairy

www.yarnfreak.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Clothes to Buy Your Baby Before Knowing the Gender
Three One Piece Ideas for Boys
Three Dresses Ideas for Girls
3 Ideas of Bottoms For Boys
Top 3 Shirts for Boys
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...