A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: scavenger hunt?  (Read 4021 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kemerald14

Gimme a bweak... can't touch this!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2006 03:52:39 PM »

This sounds awesome. So I say we start on a list. Maybe we can all list one thing we want to be on it, then when we have 15 things, we can vote for the final ten? Or we could have someone write the list and that will be the one we use. Let me know what you all think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's the yellow button! Whoa, whose car is that.. it's a beast!
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2006 04:27:45 PM »

Ooh, everyone thinks of one, them we vote. I'm sure there will be some really creative things suggested!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2006 04:36:37 PM »

Kaesea~

most of the list can be personalized if you think of it... like you can do 'your state flower' or 'your partner's state flower', but you can't have the scatergories type game that way... because of course the state flower is what it is...
so if there were things VERY generic like 'flower'... and you used their state flower that would be personalized and could possibly not have been thought of by another...
Maybe the crafter could also add an explaination... SO, you have your list, and flower is on it, and you put a red rhodedendron flower, because your swap partener's state flower is a rhodedendron... and someone else uses just a red flower... you are NOT cancelled out, because you have made 2 connections (like when you play scatergories...) does that make sense? I could elaborate for those who don't know scatergories...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2006 04:42:10 PM »

In that case, there will be no winner because what are the odds that you are going to make exactly the same thing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2006 04:57:39 PM »

Well, I think the winner is the person who uses the most stuff on the list, right? (Like in a real scavenger hunt) So maybe the list needs to be really big? (but with a smaller minimum required) I don't know... just brainstorming on that one. Shoot me down if necessary.

And, as far as the cancelling out goes, it's not necessarily that you made the same thing, but that you used the same thing to fulfill the requirement of the list.

So, in the flower instance, if you and I both used a pink carnation to fulfill "flower," then we'd cancel each other out. Even if you made a pink carnation decoupaged toilet brush (oooh! lovely!) and I made pink carnation out of beer cans (mmm... classy!) We both used "pink carnation" to fulfill the "flower" requirement. So we cancelled each other out.

This is a verrry fine line... specific enough that people might use the same item to fulfill the requirement and yet broad enough so that we can personalize the crafts to our partner's preferences. Hmmm.

I like this more and more! Yeah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
highschoolcrafter
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2006 05:00:17 PM »

seems like its getting more complicated, but id still be in
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2006 05:02:14 PM »

I have totally re-written this post after conferring with Kaesea

Okay. If people are agreeable, we'll start signups, sometime between now and Monday [I'll post here when we do]. They'll run from Monday the 29th until Monday June 5th at 12 noon Pacific Standard Time. Part of the questionnaire will include contributing a few [3-4] scavange items to add to the list. THEN, you will craft using objects from that list. You will craft at least 2 medium, or 3-4 small items. You must use no less than 10 items from the list [although the more you use, the more points you get towards the prize.]

Do people want to contribute to the prize, or do you want to leave it up to Kaesea and I to come up with something really awesome?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006 07:29:09 PM by TheBon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
kemerald14

Gimme a bweak... can't touch this!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2006 02:30:28 PM »

I think I like the idea of one awesome thing. I know it's probably very simple, but I don't quite understand the whole scatergories thing. I'm a little confused about what we are going to do. Sorry if I'm missing the whole point!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's the yellow button! Whoa, whose car is that.. it's a beast!
onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2006 02:55:01 PM »

No worries! It has gotten rather confusing, hasn't it? Scavenger hunts are easy, but when you turn it into a swap, well... that's where the confusion comes in.

Okay, I think it's like this (TheBon, please correct me if I'm wrong):

When you sign up for the swap, you'll fill out the questionnaire. One of the questions will be to include 3-4 "scavenge" items for the final list.

For example, you would write:
- something with your partner's first initial
- something striped
- something round and green

When you get your partner assigned to you, you will also get a huge Scavenger Hunt list, comprised of everyone's contributions. You will recognize 3-4 items on the list, because you contributed them! (See my example list above).

Now, you will get to crafting. You will use as many items from the list as possible in your crafts. To combine my example with a fine one earlier, using the above items, you might buy a wooden letter that is your partner's initial, decoupage photos of tennis balls on it, and glue chenille bumble bees to it (assuming your partner like tennis and bees... it would be nice if they liked the stuff... that's kind of the challenge of all swaps, right?)

You will craft at least 2 medium or 3-4 small items (unless someone wants to speak up now about that number -- is that enough? We'd love feedback) using as many items from the list as possible. If 10 people sign up for this swap, there will be 30-40 items on the list, so that's quite a few.

You should use at least 10 items on the list. In my above example, I only used 3. You can always make more crafts if you need/want to... I've never heard anyone complain about getting "too many" items in a package. Smiley

After all of the items have been received and posted, the person who has included the highest number of items from the list wins (just like a scavenger hunt!)

As for the "Scategories" rules as to who wins, that could still be up for grabs (again, feedback welcome here), but here's how that would work:

If I used tennis balls in my package for "green and round" and you used tennis balls in your package for "green and round," then we cancel each other out.

So if we keep using the example above, you sent the decoupaged letter w/ tennis balls and bees. I embroidered my partner's initial on a pillow along with zebras playing tennis (this is just getting weirder and weirder, isn't it?)  We did not use the same things for "initial" and "striped" (you used wood, I used thread, you used a bee, I used a zebra), but we did use the same thing for "green and round." So we'd each get 2 points: one each for the initial and striped thing, but cancelling each other out for duplicating the tennis ball.

Whew! Perhaps we should just count things straight up (therefore, 3 each in the above examples) and then if we need a tie breaker, we can apply the Scategories rules? It might end up easier, but then the fights that break out at Scategories games are always so much fun...

So, what does everyone think of all of this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2006 03:01:33 PM »

The canceling out thing sounds a little technical for a swap and odds that we would do the same thing are not very good, but the rest of it sounds great! I like the idea of making a prize, but if oher people don't want to send out too much, then I guess we'll leave it up to ya'll.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Achieve the Glamour Look in Photography
Photo Clam Ballheads Review
Kenko Lightmeters Review- KFM-1100 and KFM-2100
How to use the Photo Master Target
How to Edit a Composite Image
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...