A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding gift ideas needed  (Read 819 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whitecalx
« on: February 13, 2006 03:46:44 PM »

But there are a few catches.

It needs to be done in a month (easier said than done as I have a baby and toddler!).  It needs to use very few materials or things I already have.

I sew some.  I knit.  Crochet a tiny bit.

Other (possibly) helpful info:
I don't know anything about the bride
the groom, my cousin, is really into video games and computers (its what he does for a living)
I know little about their style but from their registry she seems to like modern kitchen things, and a country look in the bedroom

Please help me!  I feel awful I can't fly across the country for the wedding so I need to do something really nice for their gift but am very short on $$$ so I need to make the gift.

TIA
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RebelScum

The Force is strong in my family.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006 05:25:47 PM »

Maybe you could make a small heat transfer to put on a T-shirt and make them "matching" shirts, like a set of old school Nintendo games shirts...  For instance on HER shirt you could put the Princess, on HIS shirt you could put a picture of Mario, something like that?   Huh  Probably depends on their sense of humor. 
For my sister's wedding, I made them matching t-shirts that said (in a foreign language) "I'm with Stupid".  Obviously, they're not actually going to wear them in public (at least not at the same time) but they loved them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluelise
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006 05:05:50 PM »

Easy gift ideas:

1. Put together a small cookbook for her. Include recipes that are popular in your family so that the bride can feel like she's a part of your family traditions now as well.

2. A big tote bag. For my wedding someone gave me a huge canvas tote bag with my new last name on it. At first I had no idea what I would do with it, but it's been so useful. I've used it to return gifts we received two of, to take items to pot lucks, to carry multiple gifts to my relatives' houses on holidays, etc. It's been great.

3. Embroider their monograms on towels, pillow cases, etc.

I hope this helps. Best wishes to you and to the new couple!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm up for personal swaps. PM me for availability and ideas!
http://girlinabook.blogspot.com
josita
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006 07:47:15 PM »

I've made wedding guest books. The thing is, you'd have to decide now and let them know it's coming--and you'd HAVE to have it done on time!

I made recycled paper and wrapped it around cardboard for the front and back of the book, with holes punched so I could tie it all together with ribbon. Then I bought decent paper (by the sheet, at a stationery shop - spent under $10) and actually used a ruler and marker to draw in the lines for guests to sign their name and address.

I made white or off-white paper and put in thread bits in the color of the bridesmaids' dresses, plus flower petals and bits of lace and so on.

The recipe collection idea is good, too. An alternative to the book: you could decorate a box and write recipes on index cards.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peariso
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006 10:40:33 AM »

one of the best gifts that we got for our wedding was actually a card that was made into a comic book with our "story"in it.  It was really funny and a little cheesy but very thoughtful.  We also REALLY appreiciated the gift card that went along with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all easier to stalk me by   http://www.wists.com/Peariso
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006 05:59:27 PM »

I'm dragging this topic back up..!
I'm in the same predicament..  I knit, I crochet a bit and I can embroider if forced.

My friend is getting married on June 2nd and I know her very well but hardly know him at all!  She's "gothy" only not-so.. and anything "traditionally weddingy" would be out of the question.

I'm thinking.. photoalbum?  I'm not very paper-crafty though and prefer knitted items so.. HELP!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whitecalx
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006 07:03:43 PM »

I think I've settled on a "Mrs. A...." embroidered apron for her and maybe a cookbook.  And something gamer for him since he loves to play.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caradee
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006 09:47:43 AM »

if you can afford a pyrex glass (or a ceramic one) baking dish (like for pie or lasagna) you could make a tote it fits in to carry food for a pot-luck. My mom has one and it's really useful, you could even make a small cookbook of recipes that suit that size pan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing. felting. dyeing. hot glue bandit.
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006 11:01:05 AM »

Oh wow, that's a great idea!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Caitlyn & Caroline Try: Chocolates
HuffPost Taste Test: US Vs. UK Chocolates
How to Make Baileys Sweet and Salty Krispies
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Latte Muffins
Homemade Cake Pop Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...