A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
311 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: canada post - exorbitant prices?  (Read 2645 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jasfitz

nobody's little weasel

View Profile WWW
« on: February 13, 2006 02:02:25 PM »

Hi guys: just curious as to your thoughts...

Um... is canada post extremely overcharging?

what would cost me 5 dollars to send in the states seems to cost 13 dollars to send here.... I paid 14.65 today to send a CLUTCH I had made from toronto to BC. had I not selected tracking also it would have been 1 dollar less.

I very rarely send things from within Canada: I usually send to the states, which is seemingly way cheaper...

I don't know: on all crafty sites, people seem to charge between 3 and 6 dollars to ship their merch, but frankly, I can't understand how that's possible considering it cost me more than my materials just to send the darn thing, in a bubble envelope mailer.

thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jasfitzdotcom - goods that make you giggle!
NessaGurl
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006 07:27:51 AM »

I agree...I recently sold an item on etsy, and spent almost more on shipping then the cost of the item...I lost money on that sale and immediately put my shipping rates up. It was my first sale, so I didn't mind but I learned my lesson. I think Canada Post is more expensive in general. For instance, when I do swaps, what might cost $7 with shipping confirmation in the US, would cost us $18-20 Canadian. If your shipping to the US, its WAY cheaper to ship without shipping confirmation, but I usually prefer a confirmation. When shipping here in Canada, you can purchase prepaid envelopes at the post office. I think the cheapest is $9.99 and I believe it comes with a tracking number ( but you should double check that). You can buy the envelope and stuff it as full as you like, and pop it in the mail. I've done that before. You might want to look into that next time.

I wish we had an alternative postal method other then Canada Post...Grrrrr

I really have to get started on building that teleporting device  Wink

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
jasfitz

nobody's little weasel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006 07:33:21 AM »

ooh, thanks for the prepaid envelope tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boyscraft2
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006 07:50:00 AM »

Thats does sound kinda expensive. In the US there are several Parcel Postage Companies: FedEx, DHL, UPS, and ofcourse the goverments' USPS. The competition helps keep prices down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NessaGurl
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006 08:38:57 AM »

We can ship by Fed X, UPS and DHL (but you need a business account to ship with DHL), but it is more expensive then Canada Post. Although UPS just opened stores recently, so I guess I should check out their prices now that they have a physical location.

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006 10:26:14 PM »

it's sometimes cheaper to do fedex ground than to do canada post when shipping to the US. my little postal scale was the best purchase ever, now i can calculate the shipping myself and decide which way to ship it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
jasfitz

nobody's little weasel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006 10:31:35 PM »

a postal scale?!

*swoon*

sigh- i was just reading throuhg the swap threads on shipping.... so I guess this is no big shocker- everyone already knows Canada Post is ripping us off within our own country. le sigh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006 10:36:35 PM »

a big reason why canada post is so expensive is because canada's so spread out. within the US, the cities are a hell of a lot closer together. that's why sometimes it's cheaper to mail to the US than it is to mail within canada.

i got my postal scale at staples. it was about $40. they have cheaper ones, but their weight doesn't go as high. i thought about getting the cheaper one, but decided i'd probably end up needing the fancier one later anyway, so what was the point of paying for two in the long run? the $40 was actually pretty cheap, they have digital ones that were over $100!

it seems pricey, but i figured out that even sending three oversized packages through fedex ground instead of canada post saves me MORE than $40, so it's really worth it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NessaGurl
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006 05:55:05 AM »

crafty_dame...I've never sent through FedX..how does the process go? Do they pick it up from your house or do you take it to an outlet? Just curious. I think I might look more into the Fed X thing as well as getting a scale. Also, all the Fed X packages are tracked is that not correct?

Thanks for the info

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

craftydame

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006 10:36:35 AM »

i do fedex ground, and none of the fedex stores in my area are open after 6, so i always did it through kinkos/fedex. it's probably easier to go into the store and do it.

to go through kinkos/fedex, you need to sign up for an account online with fedex, so you need a credit card. and you need the postal scale. you measure your package, weigh it, input that info into the fedex website, it gives you a page with a bunch of info and a barcode, you print that off. then you take your package to kinkos/fedex , fight with the employees there, eventually convince them that it's really okay to accept it (i don't know why all kinkos employees are such idiots!). they give you one of those little plastic bag things that you stick your info in, then you attach it to your package.

you don't pay for it at kinkos, it comes off your credit card through your online account.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Steven Ujifusa on His Book A Man and His Ship
Garret Kramer Talks About Stillpower
Sherry Jones on Her Novel Four Sisters, All Queens
Beach House Memories Book Trailer
Michelle Harrison on Her New Book Unrest
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...