A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
764 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Organizers have to swap?  (Read 2093 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

akredhead
« on: February 13, 2006 11:38:19 AM »

Do organizers have to make craft projects for swaps they have put together and are running?

I am happy to organize but sometimes I don't have time or the inspiration to make the crafts for the swap...

Is this considered Uncool?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleHeather
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006 06:58:00 AM »

I know I've been in swaps where the organiser hasn't swapped, either for time reasons, or for not having the right number of people.  I think it's fine, and don't see why someone can complain, if you're giving up your time to organise Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Princess Dukki
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006 09:11:49 PM »

I dunno... I'm kind of turned off by the idea of an organizer not being involved in the swap. I would feel weird being in a swap run by someone who wasn't excited enough by the theme to be involved in the swap itself. If there is *NOBODY* else who can/is willing to organize, then I understand, but I would rather be in a swap run by someone who wants to swap with everyone... otherwise there just seems to be a certain amount of disinterest, which just makes it feel... off. Mechanical, even.

Now, I've never been in a swap run by someone who didn't do any swapping themselves, but I've refrained from joining swaps in the past for this reason. It just bugs me... maybe it's unfounded. People have unfounded pet peeves all the time...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What was that for?! Chickens are not your brethren!
DithMer

Have a good one, and learn everything you can.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006 10:26:22 PM »

i've organized a swap where i didn't participate, because of both time restraints that sprung up after i had agreed to organize, and an uneven number of people. the reason i felt ok doing this was that i decided that since i wasn't participating in the swap i was organizing, i would be the swap angel for that swap.  so if anybody got flaked on, i could take responsibility and still get to craft in the swap!  i think organizers not participating doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of interest... sometimes people have their own reasons for not crafting at that time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006 10:49:09 PM »

i've organized swaps that i didn't particpate in. once it was because i wasn't really that into the theme (i'm not into pride stuff), but they needed someone to organize, so i offered because i thought it was a cool swap, even if it wasn't my thing. the other one was the green purse swap, and it was partially a time constraint thing, and partially that i realized i would never ever use a green purse. but green was the colour people wanted to do after the black purse swap and the blue purse swap that i organized, so i organized it.

i don't see a problem with it. organizing take a lot of time, and sometimes it's hard to participate as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Princess Dukki
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006 11:05:18 PM »

i've organized swaps that i didn't particpate in. once it was because i wasn't really that into the theme (i'm not into pride stuff), but they needed someone to organize, so i offered because i thought it was a cool swap, even if it wasn't my thing. the other one was the green purse swap, and it was partially a time constraint thing, and partially that i realized i would never ever use a green purse. but green was the colour people wanted to do after the black purse swap and the blue purse swap that i organized, so i organized it.

i don't see a problem with it. organizing take a lot of time, and sometimes it's hard to participate as well.

Well, both situations you listed I totally understand. You were the organizer of the other swaps, so you kept up tradition (and quality) by organizing the green one... and the pride swap *needed* an organizer, so you stepped up Smiley

I've just noticed on some idea boards that people just say "I'd like to organize this" with no appreciation whatsoever for the theme being suggested, they just want to put it all together.

since i wasn't participating in the swap i was organizing, i would be the swap angel for that swap.  so if anybody got flaked on, i could take responsibility and still get to craft in the swap!

And I think that's awesome too! I came across wrong, it just seems like some people are only interested in organizing for the sake of having a new project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What was that for?! Chickens are not your brethren!
Morning Star
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

feel my chest when i look at you, baby you, you got my only heart.

suppose i said, you're my saving grace?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006 12:52:16 PM »

I've done it before, too.
I was going to participate, but it was time and money that held me from being in it. but I said I would organize. I was excited about the theme (disney! haha), but I just couldn't do it.

So I think it's ok, as long as you don't let go of any of your organizing duties
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-mayor west?
-how do you know my language?

i made an info blog for my swap partners.
http://mon-seul.livejournal.com/

i now have a wist list!

www.wists.com/morningstar
akredhead
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006 04:31:55 PM »

I think that is a great idea!!!

i've organized a swap where i didn't participate, because of both time restraints that sprung up after i had agreed to organize, and an uneven number of people. the reason i felt ok doing this was that i decided that since i wasn't participating in the swap i was organizing, i would be the swap angel for that swap.  so if anybody got flaked on, i could take responsibility and still get to craft in the swap!  i think organizers not participating doesn't necessarily indicate a lack of interest... sometimes people have their own reasons for not crafting at that time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
star69

Summer swappin' fever and writing inspiration!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006 12:20:49 PM »

I am currently organzing a swap and I'm not participating because I know that as myself, at this time, am not able to spend the time to make the proper items. So, the swap was idea, and I want to others to enjoy themselves. That's how i think of it. Then again, the last swap i co-organized, my partner never sent to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fadeawaydream
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006 12:26:05 PM »

I was actually just thinking about this... For some reason, I have this itch to organize a swap (I just love organizing things!), but realistically, I know that I don't have the time to craft for it, if that makes any sense. I don't think I could do it though... I'm purposely holding off on organizing until I finish up some other swaps so that I can have time to craft. So, although I wouldn't do it, I can understand the many reasons why others would.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bacon, Pea, and Fresh Herb Pasta Recipe
How to Grill Stuffed Caprese Turkey Sliders Recipe
Grilled Chimichurri Steak Recipe
Peach Barbecue Chicken Burgers Recipe
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...