A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i need help with batik  (Read 1538 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TwilightDancer
i dye therefore i am

View Profile WWW
« on: February 13, 2006 08:27:02 AM »

ive been doing this for 3 years--- and i just completed my biggest piece- problem is- i didnt get all the wax out cuase it was so big and its been thru the wash and dryer already- is there still hope for getting the wax out if i boil it again- Huh

and ive heard of folks adding soap to their boiling water so the wax comes out easier-never tried it- what are the results?

and is their a dyeing forum? i dont see one...Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mangetout
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006 08:32:23 AM »

Hi - don't know much about batik i'm afraid but i do know that i got candle wax on my shirt once...not sure if it's the same thing.

I got some greaseproof baking paper and put it on top of the stain, then ironed on top of the paper. The wax came right out onto the paper.
Not sure if you could do the same thing with a batik, but hope this helps anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TwilightDancer
i dye therefore i am

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006 08:40:07 AM »

im not a fan of ironing- but the wax is pretty thick and in a lot of areas- might be quicker to just boil it again if i can....

thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chilan
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006 12:19:01 PM »

I would use the iron.  I did quite a bit of batik work in one of my classes, and what we did was to iron the wax onto newsprint.  You can see it absorbing into it....  Then some people went on to boil it and run hot water to cold water on it (I think that was just to not risk getting to much dye in the washing machine) and then machine washed it.  The only problem there ever was; for some reason, the dye ran completely out when someone washed it, but it only happened once, and we still don't know why.   But if you have already washed it, there shouldn't be that problem.  So that's what I do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blueblythe
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006 12:28:42 PM »

My mom told me that she used to take her batiks to the dry cleaners to have them take the wax out. I usually just iron it with newspaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brokendove
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006 04:47:35 PM »

Hi,

I would simply boil it again...

here is some instructions on my site on how to batik dye for those who are curious..and want to have a go

http://www.craftbits.com/viewProject.do?projectID=542

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Website is
http://www.Craftbits.com
http://www.Craftbits.com.au
& now www.craftgossip.com

Free & Funky Craft Projects
Step by Step instructions
Soap & Beauty Recipes
Knitting & Sewing Projects
and 1000's more projects
chamaecyparis
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006 08:02:58 PM »

I third the ironing idea.  I've always ironed stuff between newspapers, then dry-cleaned it to get any wax that was left out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mleak
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006 08:41:00 PM »

In my surface design course we were taught to iron our pieces until very little wax came off, and then take it to the dry cleaner.  That seemed to get everything out.  No buildup, no stiffness, but just right!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmoore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006 11:01:13 PM »

I have always started out ironing, and then taking out the last traces by boiling in soapy water. You want to make sure your dye will not run in the heat.
 I have heard that dry cleaning works, but I have also heard it has to be a specific dry cleaning process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananas
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006 02:41:00 AM »

yeah, i think you maybe should just iron it. what i do is just put 3 pieces of newspaper on top and underneath, and put the iron on the highest temp. i dunno if it will work if you've already washed it tho, but heck, give it a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Over-the-Top Chocolate Gifts
How to Make a Homemade Apple Crumble
A Sweet Dessert Cup You Can Eat
Tips For Making Lemon Meringue Pie
Five Takes on the Chocolate Chip Cookie
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...