A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,680
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Toddler Halter  (Read 11321 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« on: February 13, 2006 08:17:56 AM »

I finished this halter for my little girl this weekend.  The yarn is a wool/angora blend and I'm thinking of dip dyeing it in blue Kool-Aid.  I'm going to keep the very bottom pink, then I'm hoping the top of the pink part will turn purple and then the beige top and straps will be blue.  Has anyone ever dip-dyed in Kool-Aid before?  I don't even know if it's possible.  I'll do some beta-tests before I dip the halter.  Anyway, I'd love to know what you all think.  The straps cross in the back, thread through the top of the beige part, then cross again, thread through the bottom of the beige part, then tie. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LuvCrochet
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006 10:52:05 AM »

Very pretty. Perfect for summer
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006 02:26:01 PM »

wow that's pretty do u have a pattern for it? I wouldn't mind making one for my god daughter.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007 09:58:12 PM by Aelita » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
Tinytink84
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006 11:06:58 PM »

It's very pretty, and I love the pattern... But... It seems a little racey for a toddler...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."
Scott Adams

"Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."
Dave Barry
dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006 06:49:54 AM »

wow that's pretty do u have a pattern for it? I wouldn't mind making one for my daughter.

I made up the pattern, but it's pretty easy, I'll explain it to the best of my ability.  My daughter wears a size 5/6. So if you're daughter is smaller, I'd say decrease the starting chain by 6 chains for a size 4 and 12 for a size 2 (I'm just guessing at that really).  It's made in two parts, the top (beige) and the bottom (pink). Guess I should also mention that I used worsted weight yarn and a 6.5mm hook.

Top.

Chain 60 + 2 turning chain. 

Row 1:  One hdc in first ch, chain one.  Then do one hdc and chain one across.  I think you'll end up doing two hdcs at the end.  Chain 2 turning chain.
Row 2:  Dc in first chain 1 space, ch 1, then dc, ch one across.  (again I think you do two dc at the end).  Chain 3 turning chain
Row 3:triple crochet in first ch 1 space, ch 1, the tc, chain 1 across. Chain 2 turning ch.
Row 4: Dc in first chain 1 space, ch 1, then dc, ch one across.  (again I think you do two dc at the end).  Chain 2 turning chain
Row 5: hdc in first chain 1 space, ch 1, then dc, ch one across.  (again I think you do two dc at the end).  Fasten off.

Bottom.  (Shell stitch)

Join second color of yarn to the end of Row 5 of the top, chain 1.
Row 1:  one sc in first two sts, chain 3, skip 3 sts, 3 sc.  Do this until the end of the row, you should end up with two sc in the last two sts. 
Row2:  one sc in second st from hook, *5 dc into chain 3 space, skip one st, one sc into next st, skip one st.* repeat from * to * across. At end, one sc into last st in row 1.
Row 3:  Slip stitch until you are in the 3rd dc of the shell you made in row 2. *Chain 3, one sc into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th dc of next shell.* Repeat from * to * across until last shell. In last shell, only sc into 2nd and 3rd st. 
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you have formed the triangle.  Fasten off. 

Straps. 

Hold the halter up to your toddler and with contrasting yarn mark the logical place for the straps to be attached.  Straps can be made any way you'd like.  A simple braid, a crocheted strap, macrame, whatever.  The length will depend on how tall your daughter is.  My straps are about 18 inches.  It's a little long now, but I figure she can wear it for a few years that way.  Sew staps on with blunt yarn needle. 

Edging (optional)

After I attached the straps I did a picot border around.  Of course this is optional or you could do a different border or add fringe if you're going for a western look. 

If you have any troubles with the pattern, just ask.  If you do make one, please post a picture. 

It seems a little racey for a toddler...

I see how one may think that, but it does wrap around enough to almost meet in the back and the front is long enough that her belly is completely covered.  sure you can see a little skin , but honestly, she's 2 and I let her run around without a shirt on if it's hot enough. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006 05:08:29 PM »

ur daughter is 2 and she wears a size 5/6?  Mines is going on 3 in April and she is still in 24 mos to a 2T. She is very petite. I also let my daughter run around with no shirt on when it is hot or sometimes she runs around(the House) with just a t-shirt and her underwear. Sometimes I wish I was still little enough to do that lol. I can't wait to get started on that halter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

Tinytink84
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006 10:38:05 PM »

I understand letting kids run around topless at home... but I assumed that this would be worn in public, and its a little racey for that... it IS see thru...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."
Scott Adams

"Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."
Dave Barry
dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006 01:26:11 PM »

ur daughter is 2 and she wears a size 5/6?  Mines is going on 3 in April and she is still in 24 mos to a 2T. She is very petite. I also let my daughter run around with no shirt on when it is hot or sometimes she runs around(the House) with just a t-shirt and her underwear. Sometimes I wish I was still little enough to do that lol. I can't wait to get started on that halter.

Yes, my daughter is very big for her age.  She's about 41 inches tall.  My husband is 6'4" and I'm 5'11", so she comes by it naturally.  I hope the pattern works out when you dowsize it.  The thing to remember is that the foundation chain needs to be a multiple of 6 (+2 turning).  So maybe chain 42, wrap it around and see if it touches, if it does, your good, if it overlaps, pull out six. 

but I assumed that this would be worn in public, and its a little racey for that... it IS see thru...
Dude, dress your kids however you want, my little girl gets to wear a halter that I lovingly crocheted for her.  If you don't like it don't make it.  And you know what else, she gets to wear a bikini at the beach too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bonbonz101
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006 01:43:36 PM »

Very cute! I wish my mother knew how to crochet something like that for me when I was younger ...

It reminds me of a strawberry in the picture  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back from a long hiatus!
PM me about personal swaps Tongue

Wists: http://www.wists.com/bonbonz101
Style blog: http://mypolychromelife.blogspot.com
Check out my vintage Etsy store!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6023310

Smiley
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006 01:56:50 PM »

It is going to be worn in public( at least my goddaughter will when it is hot here) but it's not like a toddler has boobs and it is covering the stomach so it's not like the tummy is going to be out and one would really have to stare hard to see thru that top but I am going to make one or two for my goddaughter in some pretty colors. Wow ur daughter is already tall dntysgrplm and she must be solid for her age where as my goddaughter is small and frail looking. She looks like she might blow away if a good wind comes by here lol.  I am so glad to have run across this pattern, now I just have to make it lol.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008 07:06:46 PM by Aelita » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2013 Oscars Fashion
Star Crush: Chic, Stylish, Effortless Charlize Theron
Street Chic: Shoreditch, London Style
$50 Dollar Makeovers With Rachael Ray
Peplum: Una Tendencia Para Disimular
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...