A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a box full of crayons and nothing to do  (Read 5593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kiana

I could never know.

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2004 08:09:38 PM »

i just found this website and i am *more than* ecstatic.

so here's my first question: i've got a bunch of crayons, and i'm wondering if anyone has any unusual ideas for crayons besides the suncatcher and the candle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abricot
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004 02:12:30 AM »

I remember when I was in school we melted bits of the crayons and used it to decorate jars.. We poured the melted bits inside the jar and swirled them around to make abstract patterns...

Might make for some pretty interesting vases/pencil holders, etc... I'd assume though having the jars placed in a sunny place or around excessive heat would cause the crayon to melt again... but maybe there is a way to seal it?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004 07:16:01 AM »

With my kids, we've recycled the crayons - either in regular or mini muffin tins, break up the crayons and put them in the tins (use liners, of course!). I preheat the oven to 350, then put the crayons in, and shut the oven off. Should melt in 10-15 - if not, put the oven on low (250 or so) just for 3 minutes or so. The kids get fun new shapes in crazy colors. I'm thinking of trying to do something like this but with candy molds in heart shapes and maybe a hot bath for Valentines Day favors for school!I'm thinking maybe a waterbath in the turned off oven ... hmmm, I'll let you know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
MissRoo
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004 07:35:20 AM »

I've always wanted to try this:
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel1133&rsc=tc12&page=1&site=
Crayon hearts for Valentines Day! It's just the right time for it, too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004 07:39:26 AM »

MissRoo, thanks for that link, that looks too cool! I think this is a definite good kid project too (other than the ironing part of course!) - just think, you could do different colors and shapes for different holidays - Easter eggs, Red, White and Blue stars, leaves, - such possibilities! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
marisa

making it up as we go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004 07:40:49 AM »

crayon mosaic:
what if you  used the muffin tin idea but with a whole flat cookie sheet (or what i think is technically called a jelly roll pan, but god knows why - what the hell is a jelly roll?).
you could cleverly place the crayons (or pieces) to melt together into a really beautiful design and then hang it on your wall.  i bet while it's still somewhat fluid you could swish a fork through it to swirl the colors.
but this could be a total disaster as i have not tried it. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss_mom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004 07:46:59 AM »

Marisa - cool idea! 2 things I think of off the top of my head .... (and yes, it's called a jelly roll pan - it's like a cookie sheet with slightly higher sides) ... line whatever you are using with either waxed paper, parchment paper or foil (the foil could actually add a cool texture to the design!) and second, think about how you want to hang it before it cools, so you could make some sort of holes in it while it is still slightly soft.

Along that idea, you would probably use cookie cutters as molds, poke holes in them, and make some sort of sun catchers out of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VaguelyVogue
Lauri Loves You!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004 08:34:59 AM »

... but maybe there is a way to seal it?!

i wonder if resin would work?

you could put the melted wax in soap molds and make cute little crayon shapes as gifts for little kids! like get a fuit mold or something and but purple crayons in the grapes shape, red in the apples  ect...  candy molds would work well too, i remember seeing a consignment website somewhere  and someone sold really cool crayons that were recylced, i cant even remember what they looked like or where it was but if i find it illl post it!
now i wish i had some old crayons to use!!

LaURi C.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004 09:33:50 AM »

if you have an old, flat frying pan that you don't care to use for cooking anymore you can try this idea.

we used to take an old crepe pan and melt little bits of crayon onto it, then throw a piece of tissue or tracing paper on top to suck up the wax. we'd then take all the different pieces of paper we'd done this to and starch them to our bedroom windows. Looked like funky stained glas, and it was pretty opaque so made for good privacy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiana

I could never know.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004 10:24:02 PM »

I've always wanted to try this:
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel1133&rsc=tc12&page=1&site=
Crayon hearts for Valentines Day! It's just the right time for it, too Smiley

ok, i totally didn't want to make sun catchers UNTIL i saw this link. they're so gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Sound-Off: Taylor Swift, Rihanna and Demi Lovato
5 Summer to Fall Fashion Trends
Top 5 Pool Party Looks For Summer
7 Different Ways to Style the Same White Tee
DIY Beach Babe Tip-Off
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...