A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hoarding or crafty behavior?  (Read 1458 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004 09:22:11 AM »

I found a good use for guita strings, they make great styrofoam cutters, and the really thin ones I use to cut my cinnamon bun dough with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
Tere
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004 09:53:26 AM »

Hi,
In reply to your question "do I have a problem?" I think its only a problem if its disrupting your life in some way, or if its disrupting the life of someone close to you. If it makes you happy, do it!  Smiley
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redpurse
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004 10:23:11 AM »

I've only recently acquired the crafty bug but my husband is already a little nervous I think.  His mom is a super-talented woman who mainly works with fabric and jewelry (she used to have the best shop in our little town).  Long story short, she had collected so much fabric over the years that the sea was never-ending.  She had tried to organize it but those tupperware containers mentioned above only work if you know what's in the containers.  It was incredible for a budding crafter like myself because she was so generous with her beads, tools and fabrics (I've learned so much!) but I think it became a strain with the people around her who liked order.  She recently moved and had to purge... it took DAYS!!!!  She had a sale and was so sad afterwards because she had let go of so much for next to nothing. I think she's fine now.  She's got a nice collection of just the stuff that was most valuable/useful.   

Sorry about the longish post...  I think the moral of the story is that if you're selective about what you keep from the very beginning, it can be a lot less painful in the long run.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vintagechick
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004 10:04:16 AM »

So, I went home yesterday rather depressed after reading this post since I realized I was becoming my dad (AKA King of the Pack Rats) Sad...anyway, it inspired me to get to work organizing my craft area.  Turns out the task was so overwhelming I didn't even start...actually I got inspired by an empty picture frame, some packing styrofoam and a pillowcase and now I have a nifty bulletin board!  Of course, the problem is, where does it go?  It doesn't look nearly as nice when placed on a huge pile of stuff.

The afternoon wasn't a total loss, though...I did manage to give away all those CDs I got at work day-before-last.  Turns out they'll work great for ornaments for kids to make...friend of mine signed up to do a craft at her daughter's school Christmas party. 

BTW, thanks for the ideas on guitar strings.  I haven't been able to find many ideas for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TattooAnnie

Revolution begins with a book & an open mind!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004 09:23:57 PM »

I think it just comes with the territory...if you're crafty you're gonna amass a certain amount of junk. The odds are stacked against me in this case...my mom is a pack rat who runs her own store (art&craft consignment&classes)...she knits,crochets,tats,spins yarn,does collage,beads,makes soap&paper,cross stitch,etc.  AND is an avid thrift store/rummage sale shopper....which means she has a ton of stuff (which she is aways wiiling to share (lucky for me!!!)
her mom was the same way, only more into collecting things than crafts...I think its genetic, honestly!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"GIR...why is there bacon in the soap?"
"I made it MYSELF!!!!"

www.TattooAnnie.ets y.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elle Fanning Explains Why She Refuses to Wear Jeans
Fall Fashion Trends: What To Wear To Work
Who Rocked The White Cape: Gwyneth Paltrow Vs. Sienna Miller
How to Make a Baby Chicken Costume
How to Make Stylish Yarn Bangle Bracelets
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...