A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Men's Ties / Neckties  (Read 92884 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2004 10:55:41 AM »

I'm going to make a tie skirt with all my Dad's old ties. he was going to throw them out!!!  Shocked I was outraged! So i rescused them and made a belt and a bag, but have run out of ideas, so it's gonna be a skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
begin again

my original tape measure purse, still going strong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2004 02:40:47 PM »

And as ties are naturally cut on the bias they make great bias tape substitute, especially the silk ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OTsoccer3
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2004 10:10:48 PM »

I actually have made a watch out of a tie. The first time i bought it at a local store (webpage: www.thinkneves.com) For much cheaper than the online price (they now sell them at urban outfitters for way more than that too!). All you have to find is a wide watchface, a silk men's necktie (or a slim one, just not one that is too chunky bc it won't go through the watchface) velcro and snaps. then, well, you cut out the slimmer part of the tie off (can use the rest to make a tie coin wallet) then mesaure where to put the snaps (after mesauring the two wrap-arounds you did on your wrist) and velcro goes right below the watch face. Oh, i will just have to make a tutorial for this someday. But, i cant get to my watch at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OurJuliet
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2004 01:56:59 PM »

I followed the directions of another post on here...and made the neckties purse!  I've gotten tons of compliments on it...and it was SO easy!

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL497/2403833/4743051/62614428.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL497/2403833/4743051/62614421.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmelinda
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2004 11:30:50 AM »

This isn't really a *craft*, but I think you who appreciate the neckties will like it anyway.  Several years ago, I was at a get-together at the home of someone I didn't know very well, and she had the coolest Christmas tree.  She had gotten a real tree (I think this wouldn't look as good on a fake tree) and had draped neckties all over it, like you drape that "icicle" stuff, only bigger.  She had specifically used the "old" type of ties, you know, from the 60s or 70s, slightly tacky, and for the "star" on top of the tree, she had a Shriners fez!  It was really great.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
LED18z
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2004 04:07:58 PM »

I have a friend who's sewing neckties to a dress for homecoming. I can't wait to see the end product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2004 09:27:11 PM »

I've started making belts out of thrist store ties.  I cut the widest part off of one, and sew that end onto the thin part of another (extra points if they clash!).  Attach a D-Ring to the thin part of the first tie, and thread the wide part of the second one through it, and VOILA!!! A belt.  Usually, I stencil the logo from one of my favorite bands on the end that hangs down...and sometimes some lyrics around the rest.  If my camera was working, I'd take some pictures.

~K
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005 09:40:08 PM by taped_on_wings » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
Banannasock
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2004 06:40:06 PM »

use em as belts
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dani24

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2004 09:24:13 AM »

My boyfriend is probably going to have me committed when he comes over this weekend.  I now have probably 200 or more ties sitting in my living room.  One of the thrift stores right by me had a bag of about 30 ties for $2 a few weeks ago, and I snagged it.  About a week later, there were two similar bags for $2, which I grabbed.  And then last night I went back, and they had 4 bags waiting for me!  I've gotten some odd looks from people in the store though.  Expesically last night when I bought 4 large bags of ties, and two large bags of buttons.

I've been making pillows out of them.  And will be making some clutches/purses and maybe some make-up bags, as gifts.  I may also try making a lampshade with some.  And I'm going to make some of those flowers made from neckties another Craftster posted a few weeks ago.  I'm also considering making a throw blanket out of some of them, too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbian7
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2004 08:53:49 AM »

Good for you!  That's excellent.  The craftster who posted the necktie flowers also has some incredible projects on her blog, so check that out.  The clothing brand Riley sells a couple items made from ties (check ebay for inspiration), including ties running down the sides of sweatpants, for the side of a tube top, a tie as one strap on a halter top, etc.  There are also a couple of craft books still in print involving necktie projects, including "Daddy's Ties" by Shirley Botsford, and "Tied Up" by Design Originals.  Basically, the possibilities are endless, because ties can be thought of as small pieces of beautiful fabric to be utilized in any project.  I bought a couple of pin-up ties on ebay (the vintage hand painted ones are little works of art), and want to showcase them in a skirt.  I'm obsessed with ties now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Not To Do It in Backgammon
End Game in Backgammon
Middle Strategy Tips in Backgammon
Starting Rolls in Backgammon
End Game in Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...