A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,367
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Men's Ties / Neckties  (Read 103130 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grrr betsy
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004 02:57:01 PM »

i make headbands out of them.
i just cut them, sew up the cut end, put a button on the cut end and a button hole and on the pointy end and voila insta headband Smiley and everyone always compliments me on them. they say "is that a tie???" haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Betsy
io
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004 01:20:07 PM »

i overheard a woman once talking about a patchwork scarf she had made out of her husband's old ties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shirley Ujest

Nothing to see here, move along.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004 10:31:46 AM »

I've always felt that ties could be sewn together (somehow) to make a funky quilt topper.

Not exactly sure of the vast quantity that would be needed, but they could be used to make a kinda starburst pattern atop a simple background.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
klippedwingz

Are you a Llama, I asked my friend, Dave?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004 12:46:35 PM »

I have seen ties used on quilts before and they are fabulous. The texture is so great.  If any of you ever have a chance to go to the art museum in Columbus, OH there are some wonderful fabric creations there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flashy1innit

In search of the perfect monkey handpuppet.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004 08:42:29 AM »

I made the chokers, too, then I used the remnants, along with some ribbons, to cover some bookboard I made into journal covers.  It makes a nice, patterned accent.

A friend of mine had a pillow made out of pieces of her dead uncle's ties all pieced together and trimmed with rickrack at the intersections.  It was a show-stopper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheeshoo
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2004 09:10:19 AM »

There are 2 tie threads on craftster that I've seen right now:
Tie Purse and Tie Skirt that both have some good ideas. I've been following these because I also bought a bunch of cool ties recently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbian7
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2004 04:39:36 PM »

does anyone have information or links for making skirts, etc using men's neckties?  I bought a huge bag (over 100 ties!) at a thrift store today for $3.95, and I know I can do something with these. Even a quilt would be good.  I know there's a book called "Daddy's Ties" about quilts that I want to buy, but I can't find any other link ideas.  I heard an old copy of Sassy Magazine had something, but I need more info. Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparetoast
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2004 10:15:26 PM »

try searching craftster for neckties.  many craftsters have suggested making bags, bag straps, chokers and the infamous tie skirt.  i will be posting a tutorial for my recent tie crafts soon unless someone beats me to it.  have fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbian7
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2004 10:22:04 PM »

Thank you--I saw the projects after I initially posted.  I'm obsessed with ties now, and see them in everything!!!  Dresses in magazines...I see how ties could be used for ruffles, straps, pockets, and other details.  Ditto for purses.  I haven't been this inspired in a long time!  I cannot wait to see your tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Waxwing
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2004 11:12:25 AM »

A friend of mine used old ties as inserts in the side seams of her jeans to make them bigger. The shape of the tie makes a cool flare at the bottom of the jeans! I'm in the process of making my own pair right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make it over, Wear it out; Make it do,
or Do without.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simple Lunar New Year Makeup Tutorial
Identical Twin Sisters Get the Hair Makeover of Their Dreams
Two Twin Sisters Get a Whole New Look
A Great Tip to Help You Get the Perfect Haircut
Learn How to Measure Your Own Face Shape
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...