A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jewelry metal preferences?  (Read 967 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flamefeather
fnord

meow dammit!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2004 01:47:57 PM »

ok, I'm putting together a line of things to sell, and I keep runnig into the question of what kind of metal to use for jewelry.  If I use base metal components (clasps, earwires, pins, etc.) the final products will be cheaper, but less pretty.  But if I use Sterling, they will be more valuable, pretty much hypoallergenic, and prettier (I like the sparkle of silver) but the silver will tarnish over time, and must be polished. 

Personally, I'd prefer silver.  but as most of my own jewelry is silver, I may be a bit biased  Wink  The rest of my stuff is pretty artistic...  buttons made from my own designs, art prints, cloth pouches, and the jewelry.  The style of the website will be a Rennaisance Faire/Goth theme. 

So basically, I have a few options.

1: all base metal, surgical steel earwires
2: all sterling
3: one group of dressier styles in sterling, and a second more "fun" group in base metal
4: Base metal as standard, with an upgrade to sterling available for a charge. 

so yeah, any input will be VERY MUCH appreciated  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neany

So let your hips do the talking

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004 05:31:10 AM »

I think option 4 seems like the best plan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmelinda
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004 07:52:41 AM »

I struggle with this myself, and I've pretty much decided that if I use nice-quality base metal, that's okay.  The times I've used sterling, as you said, it does tarnish and actually ends up looking cruddier than the cheaper stuff.  My main thing, though, is that using sterling would cause me to have to price my jewelry a lot higher, and I like keeping mine inexpensive and fun.  I figure I wouldn't offer anything for sale that I don't wear myself.

I do make sure and use good quality, though, like I use non-tarnishing wire, I won't use the headpins that flake off when you bend them, I order higher-quality earwires from Fire Mountain.  For a while, I loved using "metallized plastic" beads in my own jewelry, not because of cost, but because they are so lightweight, and have a really nice matte color, but I noticed that over time, the silver finish wears off, so I won't use them anymore in anything I'm offering for sale.

Again, I just make sure that anything I expect someone to buy is nice enough that I'd buy it myself.  That way I not only feel confident that my stuff is nice, I also don't worry too much about people who don't want to buy it, because I figure they just have their own preferences.  I have done custom work for people who really wanted sterling or gold.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
PaleGemini
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004 02:03:52 PM »

I say use the most simple sterling and goldfilled findings for your finer work, leave the basemetal for your simpler designs. But definitely allow for upgrading to precious metal for an additional cost. And definitely, DEFINITELY shop around and buy in larger quantities....dont buy as you need things, buy ahead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.palegemini.com Baltimore Designers Reprazent!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Setting Palette Options and Sliding Palettes
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Grouping Palettes into Clusters
Adobe InDesign CS2 - File Handling Preferences and Type Tool Options
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Display Performance and Appearance of Black Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Guides, Pasteboards, Spelling and Story Editor Preferences
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...