A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: easiest beanie EVER! + tutorial  (Read 7290 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rach-i-poo
« on: February 11, 2006 11:24:07 PM »

ok. so, i (being the kind of person who can only knit/purl and usually only does a really long line of the combo to make a simple scarf) wasn't about to try complicated knitting patterns for a beanie.

but i came up with this (just by knitting a rectangle w00t!)...

How To...
with my awesome paint tutorial lol

1. knit (as in knit every row) a rectangle (length being the circumference of your head and width being however long you want the beanie to be)

i used normal kinda wool and used fat needles (actually i don't have needles, so i used thick handled paint brushes instead) so it would have large holes or stitches or whatever they're called and wouldn't be too tight (also gives it a little extra stretch)

2. using a needle and thread i sewed the two short ends together to make a tube.

3. then i wove the needle through the stitches around the top of the tube, leaving long ends.

4. then simply just pull the string (as if you were closing a draw-string bag) and tie it off.

and now you have (my version of) a beanie Smiley lol
i'm thinking it'd look even cuter with a knitted flower pinned to the side...

*note* make sure you knit the rectangle wide enough, otherwise you will end up with a beanie that resembles those little jewish hats (found that out the hard way lol)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

top shelf? bottom shelf? nope. can't find it.
KittieCat
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006 11:43:50 PM »

I am definitely going to have to try your tutorial out...your's looks great. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
autopilotstar
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006 06:52:09 AM »

I'm also one of those knitters who just knows knit purl and usually just makes a rectangle... and I have made some hats very similar to this one.  I just have one little tip I thought might be helpful.  If you want to lessen the bunching at the top (where you pulled it like a drawstring bag), then do this:

When you get near the end, knit two together across the row (by this I mean, instead of just sticking your needle through one loop, stick it through two, as if it were one).  You don't necessarily have to do it for the whole row, you could even do: knit two together, then just one regular stitch, then knit two together, then a regular stitch etc.  If you do that for the last couple of rows than there isn't so much bulk at the top and it will be smoother. 

I hope my explanation makes sense.  I'm not really up on all the cool knitting terms... haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rach-i-poo
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006 02:49:47 AM »

there's actually quite little bunching, becuz the stitches are so large. but thanks anyway Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissColee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Cakewrecks made me famous! http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/02/this-is-how-you-show-hungry-whos-boss.html

why is the rum always gone?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006 11:33:30 AM »

thats a great hat!
Try making this...  http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_needlework_knitting/article/0,,HGTV_3263_3298694,00.html

its rectangles too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inara
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006 12:33:19 PM »

What size paintbrushes did you use? (I love the idea, btw - wish I'd known about that two semesters ago, coulda snuck my knitting into class Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

http://effulgentstudios.etsy.com
http://inara-knits.blogspot.com
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006 06:07:28 PM »

So, yeah, I'm gonna make one of these RIGHT NOW b/c that's a fantastic idea!!  I wanted to make a baby knitted hat for my cousin's new baby but can't knit anything except scarves... so now I can make a hat and my SNB knitter friend has a flower makin' machine thingy for the yarn (so good with words, I am) and I can sweet talk her into making a tiny flower.  Oh you saved my life!!
thank you!!!   Roll Eyes

Great hat btw...what yarn did you use??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
rach-i-poo
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006 12:41:35 AM »

Inara: umm *tries to make out the words semi-covered in paint* the paintbrushes i used were; Westart 220 synthetic (made in india FYI lol) that i got in my high school art kit. the handles are maybe 13cm long from the end to the metal and 1.3cm in diameter at its thickest Smiley

Spurtic: i have absolutely no idea what kind of wool it is, i usually just get leftover balls from my godmother (i think i had that one for about 5 years before i actually made something with it...) it's really just normal wool... not too fuzzy, but soft and not itchy. i measured and it's about 3mm thick... sorry i couldn't be of much help lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elleislove

i couldnt help myself.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006 08:56:18 PM »

i here by declare you GOD.

=]

i saw this last night,
its exactly what ive been looking for.
i cant knit anythign except rectangles and squares,
soooo perfecto!

today i knitted the rectangle part.
im gonna go sew it up
ill post pics tomorow,
gotta get off now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WWW.MYSPACE.COM/BELLACLOTHING

BE THERE, YO!
stewarm9
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009 02:58:01 PM »

I'm also a very novice knitter, but I think I can actually manage this one! Just a couple questions, how many stiches di you make it (how many did you cast on for the width)? And also how did you sew the edges together? Just use more yarn? Or actualy needle and thread?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kerry Washington Shares Skincare Secrets
C&C Try: Rosewater
MAC Cosmetics Holiday Palette Review
How to Wear Gold Eyeliner
Birchbox Sneak Peek: December 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...