A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black Tunic Top and ? skirt  (Read 5515 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 11, 2006 06:30:30 PM »

I am going to try to show you some of the clothes that we have made for big girls, namely me right now.  And I hate pictures of me most of the time so I hope that you appreciate them.  Oh and if anyone wants the pattern numbers let me know, I don't feel like looking for them right now.

This is a black tunic top, pretty good design

It is hard to see that the bottom is triangles because of no contrast with the black jeans which by the way are "just my size" from walmart and they are very comfortable.  More expensive but more comfortable than the regular mens jeans that I bought at the same time. 

Well here is kind of a side picture maybe you can see the triangular sides (and yes this is my "London" boyfriend)

And a full length view of the outfit, note the skirt is also made of triangles
very chic I think

If you want to see it bigger Pm me and I will link you.  Oh and the guy here is my oldest son. 

The neat thing about this skirt is that it was made about a size 22, but my daughter who is a 12 wears it also. 

Do you think this is a good "big girl" fashion?

Modified:  I was digging through my patterns last night and found this, the pattern is McCall's 4162 if anyone wanted to know.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006 06:46:32 AM by mommabear1963 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommabear1963

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006 06:33:18 PM »

I think another good thing about this skirt is that the stripes are going diagnal rather than horizontal for sure but I also think this is better than the regular vertical stripe.  What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mserocks
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006 07:02:20 PM »

I like the horizontal stripes  Smiley Cute!

How old is your son? He's even cuter than the skirt!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi.

Ok, me too! www.wists.com/mserocks
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006 07:21:23 PM »

I love the diagonal stripes. They look really cool. So does your son. He's pretty hot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
mommabear1963

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006 07:29:17 PM »

Ha Ha, thanks for the compliments on the stripes girls, and on my son.  He is 21 and yes he is pretty cute and very sweet, but, sorry, he is married. 

And what? you don't like the English guy?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006 07:35:03 PM by mommabear1963 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dawnmari
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006 08:01:39 PM »

You look very good in the first picture ... funky!!  I love the v-neck on the top and the sleeves!!  Beautiful!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006 11:38:29 PM »

That outfit is great. You are a women that knows how to dress.
Skirt is gorgeous and shows how you can where shiny fabrics when you are a bigger girl. It is not only because of the direction of stripes but also the lenght and the combination with high shoes.
 The other think I like about that outfit is that it is modern and young. We all now that some of plus size fashions mack people in them look old and nobody deserves that every one have a writhe to look and feel young no meter what their age really is.

And your daughter in law is a lucky girl Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommabear1963

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006 05:40:05 AM »

And your daughter in law is a lucky girl

very!!!! **decides not to go into a whole bragging session on first born*** Wink

And thanks for the compliments on the outfit.  The best way to get modern and fashionable clothes that fit is to make them.  Well and shop the sales, often you can get really nice and fashionable stuff from like Dillards, Folleys, and some of the other stores that sell big girl clothes if you use the coupons and watch for the big sales which are about twice a year. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006 08:21:55 AM »

I have wanted to take on making a tunic style "triangle" top like this, but have been intimidated by it. I work more with recon than from scratch because I don't have a real sewing machine so I do everything hand-sewn and I HATE patterns. They make me angry - seriously... I sweat when I walk through that section of the fabric store because I KNOW they are mocking me.  Wink  You have some kicka&& sewing skills and you know how to dress for your shape well! You should not be so unwilling to take pictures!!!
What's wrong with your Beefeater boyfriend?! He does not look as impressed by your outfit as he should be!!  Cheesy
Hey, also, nice work on that boy you made from scratch. Looks really well done and professional too!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Being cool is not a competition - It's a cause!!" ~ me

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
mommabear1963

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006 08:28:37 AM »

Kitschy, I used to be so afraid of patterns that I made my mom do most of the sewing.  I would get the fabric and cut and mark the pieces but would not read the instructions or sew, I was so confused by them and intimidated.  Finally I got worried because her health and eyesight is getting worse and I was afraid that the skill would be lost for the family (I also have three girls, two boys) and that if I did not learn to sew well, that they would not learn the skill so I decided to start doing my own sewing. 

If I were you I would definately look into getting a sewing machine.  Even if it is a cheap walmart one to start.  I bought my daughter a $39 machine from a catalogue and it was just a dressmaker machine and she did not like it even thought it worked fine for simple stuff, so she found an old machine that my mom had given to her or something I don't know and she set it up and she loves it.  So you might also look for a used one somewhere, and then find someone who tunes and adjusts them for a reasonable price.  We have finally found a guy here that does it for like $30, it is so worth it to have the machine run well and not get frustrated. 

Anyway, keep plugging along and branch out into new areas as you feel comfortable or you just must have a certain thing, just do it, and if you need help we are here for you. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeanius - Selby Drummond on Ripped Jeans
Met Gala - The 2013 Met Gala Red Carpet Livestream
Vintage Bowles - Shopping Odetta Vintage in Paris
Jeanius - Jane Herman Bishop on Baggy Boyfriend Jeans
From the Vogue Closet - Wearing Plaids in Punk Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...