A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Attempt at Cold Process Soap  (Read 2695 times)
Tags for this thread: cold_process_soap , lye  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

charmcity
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006 02:23:04 AM »

Well, I just wrapped up and I swear it never traced! I stirred the stuff for an hour and it was still pretty thin. I did use olive oil, which I hear traces slower.

Hopefully it works! I'm thinking I may have to try again another time just to see.

How did you do yours? What oils did you use?

If you use only olive (or a very high percentage) it does take a long time to trace.  Did you stir with a spoon or with a stickblender?  If you're going to make soap regularly, invest in a stickblender, it will save you a lot of time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pumpkingirl
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006 06:17:08 AM »

I used a whisk, but I think I will try again with a stick blender. I ended up just pouring it (cuz I thought it was wrecked) and this morning it's the consistency of apple sauce (sort of). So, I guess I'll scrap that batch and try again.

Is there an easy recipe for newbies out there or should I just try the same again with the stick blender?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midwest Craftster!
charmcity
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006 01:49:11 PM »

I think it's best to keep it simple when you begin.  What oils/butters do you have easy access to?  You can make a very nice soap with only olive oil. It takes longer to trace, as you've learned, and it takes longer to cure.  If you have some coconut oil, palm oil and cocoa butter, you can make a lovely soap.  One thing I would recommend is that you always run your recipe through a lye calculator. Don't just go by recipes in books or posted on the net. Here's a link to a very good lye calculator:  http://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php

It's also a wonderful site for purchasing oils, scents, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmyE
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006 06:21:30 PM »

I also second the stick blender. I had one at home before hand but didnt want it to be for soap making (I wanted a seperate one for that) my first batch my husband and I stirred for over an hour and then I got out the stick blender and it traced in no time. The two batches Ive done since were both with the stick blender and I have reached trace within 20 mins. I do stop after a min and stir for a min or so while Im doing it as well!

The second batch will be better for you! My first batch was coconut and olive oil and was just my begging bar that likely will be used for household things as it has more coconut oil than I would like in it and will likely be drying.

Read anything and everything you can on soap making,  it is so interesting and makes all the reading worth it. I have been reading and slowly getting into it for months now but want to be sure I know as much as possible about it all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Store!!
www.mysweetloveablegoods.etsy.com
pumpkingirl
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006 05:48:16 PM »

Thanks for all the tips!!!

My soap is really soft right now, like if I push on it hard my finger makes an indent. So, is that basically no good, or does it take a while to harden?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midwest Craftster!
charmcity
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2006 08:05:00 PM »

Thanks for all the tips!!!

My soap is really soft right now, like if I push on it hard my finger makes an indent. So, is that basically no good, or does it take a while to harden?

If you made it with all, or mostly, olive oil, it will take longer to cure.  Full water CP soap takes about 4 weeks to cure.  Full water olive oil soap may take 6+ weeks to cure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Do You Dress Like a Hippie?
How to Pull Off Leather in the Summer
Best Tips For Preparing Your Feet For Stiletto Season
How to Wear Black Overalls for Every Occasion
How to Find the Right Bra
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...