A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,666
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Turtle neck shrug from Scarf Syle  (Read 669 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

verycrafty
« on: April 03, 2006 08:40:43 AM »

HAs any one made the turtle neck shrug from scarf stlye? It looks pretty cool and comfy to wear. I would love to see pictures and hear what yarn you used. I am thinking about making it but I would like to see others with it first. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
killerdaisy
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006 03:38:18 PM »

i'm making it, but i haven't finished

it's miles of 3x3 ribbing, so i only knit on it when i'm at the hair salon or on the phone with somebody for an hour...it's the hospital-waiting-room type knitting for me, so i imagine it'll be a WIP for awhile

it is fun & my one sleeve seems comfy so far. i'm using cascade 220 quattro & (b/c its ribbing) didn't bother to check guage. seems to fit just fine so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
verycrafty
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006 03:53:28 PM »

Oh I'd love to see it when you are finished! I googled the quattro and all those colors look pretty. At first I didn't like this book but I think i might keep it around for that pattern. However, i was thinking since I am cheap and skinny, I could pull out at least 6 stitches from each side. You know, trying to economize a bit but still kepping in the pattern. What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
killerdaisy
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006 08:06:10 AM »

since it's pretty simplly constructed, it's a really flexible pattern. & since it's ribbing, i imagine you could subtract 20 sts & it still work out okay. the only thing to consider is that your decreases at the top of the sleeve will be different & you may actually want to increase a couple if you subtract a bunch of sts on the sleeves - that way the turtleneck won't be too tight (yuck, tight turtlenecks)

yeah, i wasn't sure about the busy-ness of the quattro with the ribbing, but it's working up to be pretty. plus i scored the quattro on ebay, so this project will be way cheaper than if i'd made it with the rowan yarn, plus the yardage on the quattro is great! fewer ends to weave in!!

i'm not a big fan of mohair content either, so i think the 100% wool is a better choice for me.
if i made another one i might do it in superwash so i don't have to worry about accidentally felting it.

have you picked a yarn or do you have any you're thinking about?
yeah, i felt the same way about scarf style when i first got it, but now i have almost every page bookmarked as a future project :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
verycrafty
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006 08:45:02 AM »

no I don't have a yarn in ming for it yet. I was thinking something super comfy though. Except, where I live at, I don't have a lot of exposure to nice yarns. The best yarn areound here is LB. patons and Moda Dea! LB cashmere does feel nice though, at least for lion brand. I might have to look at some that quattro some more though. Is it really itchy? I dislike itchy stuff around my neck Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tiegan

The Dude Abides

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006 08:29:28 PM »

Im working on this project and after finishing one of the arms and getting through about 1/8 of the second arm Ive left it sitting on my needles and have not touched it for about 3 months now! Shame shame I know- but YES the ribbing makes you crazy- kind of boring so you want to do it somewhere-where you can just zone out- watch TV or something interesting- cause just watching those rows of ribbing will put you to sleep! hee hee
Oh yeah I used a self stiping yarn which has some kick but results- but its to thick I think- thicker than I would have wanted- it's about a sport or worsted weight. If I were to redo it(which I might as fall gets closer)- Id use my casherino I have in my stash. Much better weight for this project. :-)
Other than that I think it will look kick butt when done. I'll try to remember to post here when I get finished! :-)
Hugs Elphalba
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pop into my Blog and say Hi!
http://pumpernickelandrye.wordpress.com/

Non judgement day is near.
butterlite
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006 05:18:58 PM »

if you need some cheap really nice yarn, try www.knitpicks.com  you can get some great yarns for a better price than what you'll pay for moda dea! I used Andean Silk in Pitch(black)...its the alpaca, silk, and merino wool mix for one for my mom, she says it's not itchy at all, and it cost me less than buying regular yarn from AC Moore.

If you google the turtleneck shrug, you should come up with tons of pictures of it, that's what I did when I wanted to knit it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sour Cream Apple Pie Crumble Recipe
Chocolate Spiderweb Cookie Recipe
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies Filled With Vanilla Cream
Baked Pineapple Ice Cream Floats Recipe
Raw Donut Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...