A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wanna sew Circle skirt with me?  (Read 4904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PurpleHeather
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006 03:53:44 AM »

Will anyone be making this with a ridged self-fabric waistband?

I had a dance skirt when I was about that high which had three buttons for the side fastening - one on the waistband and two on the skirt portion.  I was hoping to be able to recreate this, although it might take some experimentation!

i've made a tonne of skirts like this Amy - feel free to PM me if you want some help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wakeupdonnie
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006 12:56:51 PM »

Eeee I think I'm gonna try. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMegan
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006 11:43:49 AM »

I made this one a couple days ago...it was my first time using a zipper so that was exciting  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/puffylilshu/skirt.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/puffylilshu/skirt2.jpg
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 02:38:24 PM by meleriffic - Reason: Changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

one_daddio

Breakin' the law every chance I get

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006 08:34:53 AM »

I'm glad to see this didn't finish without me.  Smiley

I bought fabric a couple of days ago and would like to sew this weekend. I would like to make this with a rigid waistband but I'm a little scared. I've never done one before and I don't know how to go about doing it without a pattern. I bought elastic and was planning on using that unless one of you can walk me through a waisband.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mermaidsvoice
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006 07:56:40 AM »

I definatly want to try a circle skirt with you! I've been really if-ish about trying one, so it's good that someone started this sewalong. I've got smarmy's tutorial from http://www.whatthecraft.com/. Hopefully I follow directions well!

-Gem-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have been Changed for Good.
one_daddio

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006 10:42:18 AM »

Mermaid.. Smarmy's tute is a good one. I like the variation where she offset the center whole.

My only concern (and I'm wondering if I screwed mine up because of this) is the size of the center hole. I thought rather than having the hole the same size as the "where it will sit on the waist" measurement that it should be bigger, so that it would fit fairly easily past the biggest part of the hip. Then I used elastic to get it back down to the waist measurement. My my rotten neice, er um model, hasn't tried it on yet so I don't know how that plan worked out.

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts with this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mermaidsvoice
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006 11:26:14 AM »

Mermaid.. Smarmy's tute is a good one. I like the variation where she offset the center whole.

My only concern (and I'm wondering if I screwed mine up because of this) is the size of the center hole. I thought rather than having the hole the same size as the "where it will sit on the waist" measurement that it should be bigger, so that it would fit fairly easily past the biggest part of the hip. Then I used elastic to get it back down to the waist measurement. My my rotten neice, er um model, hasn't tried it on yet so I don't know how that plan worked out.

Does anybody have any experience or thoughts with this?

Yeah, after re-reading it I was curious about that. I don't know if this would make it less of a circle skirt or not, and I hate gathering, but if you're (I'm) doing the stretchy waistband thing with not so stretchy fabric, wouldn't I need to cut the waist a little bigger and gather it so there is something to stretch over- say-my big butt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have been Changed for Good.
one_daddio

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006 12:20:56 PM »

Yeah, after re-reading it I was curious about that. I don't know if this would make it less of a circle skirt or not, and I hate gathering, but if you're (I'm) doing the stretchy waistband thing with not so stretchy fabric, wouldn't I need to cut the waist a little bigger and gather it so there is something to stretch over- say-my big butt?

That was exactly my thought. My fabric that has no stretch to it whatsoever. I made the circle big enough to fit a butt through it and then gathered the waist around the elastic. I made the non-stretched elastic the same as the "where it will sit on the hip" measurement but the finished hole looks like it's going to be too big. Because I don't wear skirts I don't know whether that elastic should be stretched tight when it's being worn. Mine was made so that it won't be. It still hasn't been tried on yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleHeather
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2006 04:27:37 AM »

I've got about 3 circle skirts that I need to make after the easter holidays, so I'll try to come up with a tutorial for circle skirts with waistbands.  Realistically, it'll be the end of April before I'm able to put it up, as my hard drive on my home PC is corrupt, and I don't know when I'll have time to reinstall windows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
MMVA 2014: Most Memorable Red Carpet Looks
AOL Experts: Molly Simms Coredrobe
How a Teen Vogue Assistant Dresses for Work
How to Wear Man Shoes
Two Ways to Style the Mom Jean Trend
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...