A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Michael's vs JoAnn's vs AC Moore  (Read 1948 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meowari
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2006 01:50:32 PM »

Wal Mart for fabric- Joann's and Hancock are two expensive and leave their sale signs up and won't give me the advertised price because the sale's over. That's happened 2 or 3 times at Hancock and at least once at Joann's, so I won't go to either unless I'm very very desperate. I go to Garden Ridge and AC Moore every time I visit my hometown and stock up on basics, Michael's if I can't find it at Wal Mart. I've been to the Hobby Lobby here a couple of times, but unless they're having a good sale, it's not even worth me hauling my tushy all the way there. We had a Fibercrafts outlet store here, but when I went by it the other day, a note on the door said they had closed the outlet store  Sad. There used to be a place called Piece Goods right by my house growing up, and they would have coupons for one cent notions in the paper every week... ahhh, the good old days...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006 06:59:23 PM by meowari » THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlyRoxx
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2006 03:19:05 PM »

I live in Southern Cali. We don't have AC Moore, but i wish we did. Sounds like they have an awesome yarn selection.

Personally i find Michael's and JoAnn's to be somewhat disgusting. Those stores always seem dirty. I only go to either one if i know exactly what i'm going for, and i'm in and out.

My favorite in my area would have to be Tall Mouse. They have a great selection of yarn and they have fabric in addition to anything else you can think of. That store gets me in trouble!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandalol219
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2006 03:21:27 PM »

Cheesy I love where I live now! I live 10 minutes away from all three, as well as a Wal-Mart. I dunno which one I like more..hmm...A C Moore's Scrapbooking section makes me drool, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi, I'm Amanda =]

I'm just getting back into this, but if any pictures are missing, let me know. Photobucket hates me.
funkyhooker
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2006 04:19:08 PM »

I can totally date myself by saying I WORKED at Piece Goods...... yikes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
Queen Of Fools

Avast, me hearties, yo ho!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2006 04:35:13 PM »

I currently go to Michael's most often because of their paper/rubber stamps/jewelry/kid's crafts section- and because there's a very nice and tiny man that's always very helpful there.  I love good service.  I go to A.C. Moore when I want yarn or to look at different beads, etc.  I very rarely go to JoAnn's because I'm don't use too much fabric- maybe once or twice a year for small bits to do things with. 

Holy cow! This thread made me remember about Hobby Lobby- there was one when I lived in Texas- and I looked it up and found out there's one here!  I'm so excited now.....(That's what happens when you move a lot, you have to find stuff all over again....don't even get me started on trying to find craft supplies in Germany.....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karmic

They shoot heroin, don't they?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2006 11:04:22 AM »

I have four craft stores close to my home : A.C. Moore (Good for ribbon and cheap t-shirts), Ben Franklins (ours has a HUGE supply of paints and frames), Hancock Fabrics (good for...fabric), and a Hobby Lobby (good for everything else). Out of all four I probably prefer Hobby Lobby because I don't sew as much as I used to and I love buying beads in bulk.

Oh, also a Walmart but most people do have a Walmart (or TWO) near them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2006 06:54:25 AM »

I'm a big A.C. Moore fan. The one around me has better prices on most things, the best yarn selection (I still haven't found a "LYS") of the chains, and a 40% off coupon every week. Plus, 70+ feet grab bags of ribbon for $1/ea. That said, they don't have fabric or some little things I've found at Michael's. But their staff is great too, here.
Oh, and this week ALL THEIR YARN is 33% off!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2006 08:11:51 AM »

I've got a Michaels and Joann with in walking distance of each other. There is also a HUGE art supply store, Guirys, in walking distance too. Ah, Guirys.......... I'm also close to a hobby lobby which is MUCH cheaper than Michaels. I love hancok but there really isn't one close. I am lucky enough to live close to DENVER FABRICS!!! Oh, that place rocks. Great selection and great prices. You can actualy buy silk there. I've bought bridal fabrics there. And it's the only fabric store I've ever seen where they sell folkwear and buckaroo bobins patterns. Then there is the evil Denver Fabrics anex- they take left over or remnants or ends of bolts and sell them really really cheap. I can (and have) gotten into so much trouble there......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
turtletrbl
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2006 12:27:16 PM »

I'm in Southern CA and I have to second GirlyRoxx, I love Tall Mouse!  They're the best for fabric paints, dye and quilt prints (I also like Leah's Quilt Fabrics, but their prices are at least a dollar more per yard and their selection of novelty prints is limited).  Tall Mouse is pricey but has wonderful coupon sales.

I do like JoAnn's for apparel fabric, denim and corduroy and the like.  Their sales are pretty good and I've never had a problem with them denying me a sale price.  The one near me has also expanded their yarn selection and I think the prices are more reasonable than Michaels.  I try to avoid Michaels -- they never have what I want and their salespeople are not very knowledgable.  Plus, they don't carry fabric at our local store.  My LYS is Yarn Lady in Laguna Niguel -- love the shop, faint at the prices but they do have some reasonable basics and the occasional good sale.   

We don't have AC Moore or Hobby Lobby here.  The nearest Hancock's is 40 minutes from me -- I make the trek only when they have sales.  I do think they have a better selection of certain things than JoAnn's, such as trim, novelty quilt prints, ribbed knit, patches and buttons and the like.  They don't carry the kind of basic apparel fabric I normally like to sew with, though so....like I said, only when they have sales.

I think the chains vary a lot from store to store in terms of customer service and the actual products they carry.  Some are great, some suck, and some really cater to a niche group.  It's important to try them out and "vote with your pocketbook" when you find one you like. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft_t_chic
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2006 06:24:12 PM »

I'm lucky because I am so close to the Jo-Ann's headquarters in Hudson. The store there is HUGE. I hate regular Jo-Ann's stores, and would much rather shop a Jo-Ann's ETC...better selection of EVERYTHING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

http://www.wists.com/craft_t_chic

Free gift with every purchase!
www.crafttchic.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rosette Beaded Pendant Necklace
How to Make a Beaded Pendant Necklace
How to Make a Basic Charm Bracelet
How to Attach a Clasp to a Chain
How to Attach a Clasp to a Nylon Cord
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...