A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Guages and swatches and needles oh my!  (Read 436 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2006 07:26:37 PM »

I'm sitting here swatching for clapotis. I'm sitting on my bed, surrounded by 8 balls of noro silk garden... with THREE swatches going at once on 3 different needle sizes. And as i keep going from one to the other trying to decide which I like best.. here's some thoughts I'm tossing around about yardage...

Same size swatch, different needle size: If I were to knit a 5"x5" square of stockingette using the exact same yarn.. once on size 8 and once on size 10.. the size 8 one would use more yarn. This is because the size 10 gives me a looser fabric.. more holes in it.. hence less yarn being used. The denser fabric is using more yarn to fill al those holes.

Same number of stitches, different needle size: If I were to cast on 20 stitches and knit 20 rows of stockingette in the same yarn.. once on size 8 and once on size 10 needles, the size 10 swatch would use more yarn - because both swatches have a total of 400 stitches (20x20) but the larger needles make bigger loops, hence more yardage needed.

Am I on the right track? Am I completly wrong? Has anyone ever actually experimented with this? I tossed this out on the knitty chat room where I am now, and none of us have any idea.. so I figured I'd ask here.

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
djinnj
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006 07:55:21 PM »

yep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006 10:07:23 AM »

Same size swatch, different needle size: If I were to knit a 5"x5" square of stockingette using the exact same yarn.. once on size 8 and once on size 10.. the size 8 one would use more yarn. This is because the size 10 gives me a looser fabric.. more holes in it.. hence less yarn being used. The denser fabric is using more yarn to fill al those holes.

Same number of stitches, different needle size: If I were to cast on 20 stitches and knit 20 rows of stockingette in the same yarn.. once on size 8 and once on size 10 needles, the size 10 swatch would use more yarn - because both swatches have a total of 400 stitches (20x20) but the larger needles make bigger loops, hence more yardage needed.

Am I on the right track? Am I completly wrong? Has anyone ever actually experimented with this? I tossed this out on the knitty chat room where I am now, and none of us have any idea.. so I figured I'd ask here.
J

You've figured it right, but are you forgetting that even though you're making the same number of stitches on #10s in your second example, they measure larger than the same number on the 8s. So you'd need less stitches.

If you belong to yahoo's Clapotis knitalong - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Clapotisknitalong2005 - there are databases where people have posted the yarns and needles they used, number of repeats of various sections, and finished sizes. That can be handy to figure out which to use. It was easy for me -- I don't like using anything smaller than 10.5s and that's the largest I could use without it looking too loose, so I did. With Caron's Simply Soft though. Am waiting for knitpicks Shimmer to make another.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006 10:30:58 AM »

You've figured it right, but are you forgetting that even though you're making the same number of stitches on #10s in your second example, they measure larger than the same number on the 8s. So you'd need less stitches.

If you belong to yahoo's Clapotis knitalong - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Clapotisknitalong2005 - there are databases where people have posted the yarns and needles they used, number of repeats of various sections, and finished sizes. That can be handy to figure out which to use. It was easy for me -- I don't like using anything smaller than 10.5s and that's the largest I could use without it looking too loose, so I did. With Caron's Simply Soft though. Am waiting for knitpicks Shimmer to make another.

sue

Well.. at some point during this thought process it went into the theoretical... not so much about clapotis specifically, but about knitting in general.  But in this case I was thinking.. if I do it on size 8's and got to 6 repeats and didn't think it was wide enough... should I instead use size 10's and get to 6 repeats - it will be wider and use more yarn.

OR... if I use size 8s' and get to say 22 inches wide... and felt I was using too much yarn that I'd run out before it was big enough.. maybe I should switch to a bigger needle size.. it will take fewer repeats to get to 22 inches, and use LESS yarn than if I did it on 8's.

30 minutes to go and I'm still conflicted. But it's between the 8's and 9's now atleast...

Jas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled Pork Chops Recipe
The Secret to Grilled Brats
How to Make a Reuben Super Bowl Dip
How to Grill Chicken Drumettes
How to Make Kentucky Grilled Bone-In Pork Chops
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...