A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,703
Currently Running With Scissors:
762 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SEAMSTRESSES? Pattern Sizing Questions  (Read 628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miss brianne

I'm addicted to Craft

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2006 03:31:34 PM »

Now I have been sewing for a very long time (since I was about eight) And My question is this:

Everytime I measure myself, pick a size and turn out the pattern it is too big.
I am wondering what the heck I am doing wrong. This just happened today. I made the vogue pattern in a size 16 (which claimed it would be about 2 inches to small, but I am working with stretch so I figured I was alright) and it ends up being HUMUNGOUS on me. What is wrong with me?!?!

I feel really lame!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NellyPie

"I'm a princess NOT a policeman!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006 05:20:12 PM »

From my experience, "Plus" sizes tend to run bigger than you measure and "Misses" sizes run a little small and junior's sizes run even smaller than your measured size. Go figure.

The brand and date/decade of the pattern makes a BIG difference too. My mom always told me cut a size up and then take it in, you'll be safe and get the best fit.

I'd like to know a better way to go about it too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please go see my shop!
http://www.NellyPie.etsy.com
turtletrbl
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006 05:24:07 PM »

Don't worry, I've been sewing since I was 9 and I just NOW figured out how to do sizing!  Here are some ideas:

First of all, are you measuring the correct waist?  Most people measure around the area where they normally wear their pants/skirts.  No, no -- you're supposed to measure around the area where you normally BEND in half.  This is usually around the navel or slightly above for me (but I'm long-waisted).

Your bust measurement is supposed to be taken in a straight line through your armpits, ABOVE your bustline.  I'm trying to figure out how to describe that -- the tape measure should go around your upper body, just under the pits and over the high breast area.  This will give you a smaller measurement than using your bra band size, which is the mistake I used to make.  If you are larger than a B/C cup, most patterns are not cut to fit you and you might have to alter for more fabric in the bosom area.  

Hips are pretty obvious, but for straight skirts, use the area where you are widest.  I personally measure the tops of my thighs.  

NOW, if you've done all that and it still doesn't fit, time to check your seams.  I sew with 3/8 inch seams, most patterns are designed to be sewn with 5/8 inch seams, so I usually have to size down.  

Also, check wearing ease!  Patterns will have numbers printed on them which indicate the finished garment's measurements when it is done.  Home sewn clothes are designed with tons of wearing ease, so if you prefer a fitted look you'll have to sew smaller.  Flat pattern measurement helps a lot -- I take a similar garment, lay it out on the floor, measure the areas where it fits and then measure the pattern piece (allowing for seams).  That way I can get a more accurate idea of how something fits.

Hope this helps....I know it's confusing but don't give up!  
Good luck! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006 07:14:05 AM »

If you go to kate diceys page she has an awesome learning zone, and inside that there is a diagram as to where to measure, and a list explaining how to measure.  you will have to go to the homepage, then click on learning zone, bottom of the page on the right. 

http://www.katedicey.co.uk/

I have been using her technique since I learned to sew clothes, and I never have any problems.

HTH

Michelle Giordano
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwilightDancer
i dye therefore i am

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006 08:38:52 AM »

my name is brianne too- neat!

make sure you look at the actual pattern pices for the "finished" size measurements thats usually printed on the tissue.

i screwed up all my bridesmaids dresses by reading the envelope and not the tissue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LRS
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006 01:48:41 PM »

It will help if you flat measure before you lay out a pattern.  Here's how:

Find a garment you already have that is similar fit and similar amount of stretch.  Lay the RTW garment flat and measure some places (bust and hips are usually the most critical, but I like to check shoulder width and back and front length too.) 

Now measure the pattern and compare.  Since you're a sewer, you already know to double the half patterns, and subtract seam allowance.  Or you can mark the seam allowance on the pattern and measure from seam to seam. 

Most of us find we need a combination of sizes, often larger on the bottom. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Donut head Homer - The special Halloween video - 39th Drawing
How to Draw Hugo Simpson - 49th Drawing
How to Draw Maggie Simpson - 28th Drawing
How to Draw Rainier Wolfcastle - 57th Drawing
How to Draw Bart Simpson - 3rd Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...