A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Being Efficient  (Read 949 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2004 04:06:20 PM »

I'm curious to know what ways you find most efficient to make something.

I make handbags, and I am having trouble deciding what is better: cutting out everything at once for say 10 bags, front & back pieces, lining, straps, pockets, etc., or doing it one full bag at a time.

I think preparing many bags at once, and then sewing them each up quickly would be more efficient, but I find myself lost when I have so much on the go.

What method do you find most efficient for sewing up handbags for your business?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plainmabel
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004 04:23:30 PM »

I sort of do inbetween.  If I'm making a bunch of the same bag, I first cut, iron, and interface everything.  From there, I make one at a time.

Although, if the design requires I change presser feet or thread colors or something like that midway through, then I do all the cutting, all the outers, all the linings, and so on like an assembly line so as not to have to change feet/thread/whatever over and over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plain Mabel :: Extraordinary Gifts and Accessories
Awful Cufflinks :: Everyday stuff, just better.
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004 05:30:34 PM »

my mom has been a crafter professionaly for 20+ years and she has learned that it is much quicker to cut them (she does dolls) and then makes them in a marathon session cut cut cut, sew sew sew stuff stuff stuff sew sew sew finish finish finish . So I thought I would share her years of experience with you.     
*h
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Becky65301
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004 05:54:22 PM »

Yeah, what hillarybillary said... that's the way to do it for maximum time efficiency, although it certainly cuts alot of the fun out of it.  But if you are cranking out multiples of the exact same thing (or close to it) doing each step, to each thing, before moving to the next step. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewing stars
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004 05:30:13 AM »

I am not sure about handbags, but I assume the principle is the same, when I am making lots of creatures at once I cut them all out keep them in ziplock bags (so I don't loose any small parts) and then do all the sewing at once. But in order to go even faster I put the colors together, like Sunday I sewed three things all at once that all needed black thread, and then sewed three others that needed to be sewn in brown thread.

Another quilter's trick to conserve thread is not to cut each piece's thread after sewing it, but pull a tiny bit of slack and sew the next piece, and the next piece. Then pull it all out and snip the tiny bits inbetween to separate them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photographing Birds in Song
Attracting Birds to Your Garden
Setting up a Pond for Garden Bird Photography
How to Photograph Garden Birds
Dragonfiles Photographs
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...