A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,556
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Green Day "Jersey" stencil dress - opinions PLEASE! Imgs  (Read 4264 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 09, 2006 07:22:09 AM »

This is my very first project posted - so please be gentle with me.  Shocked
My daughter is big into Green Day right now - so I wanted to make her a GD themed gifty for Valentine's Day. I didn't want to make anything too literal - like a shirt that says "Green Day" or something like that & she always wears skirts and such anyway...so... I found this cool kinda mod~esque/ cheerleader dress at Goodwill and stenciled the American Idiot heart grenade on the front and then made the back like a team jersey with the name "Whatsername" (from the album) and used her birth year as her "number".

That is the front.

close up of stencil front

Back of dress

Back of dress closeup

I wanted to keep the paint looking "motted" because that is how it looks in all of the artwork for the album and I wanted to make it look "authentic".
I would _really_ appreciate anyfeedback from some Green Day girlies before Valentine's Day - because I do not want to give it to her and have her not like it.  Cry    That would just embarass both of us. Is the theme / execution cool?Should she get it  - or should it go back to Goodwill?
Thanks in advance!
Rev. Rachel
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009 02:03:34 PM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Being cool is not a competition - It's a cause!!" ~ me

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
PurpleHeather
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006 07:26:14 AM »

Hi Rachel - I think it's fantastic - I'm 24 & I'd certainly wear it.  I particularly like the front heart, and using whatsername for the name is clever too Cheesy.  I think if my mum had done me something like that as a teenager I'd have adored it.

Out of curiosity, how old is your daughter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tuatara
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006 07:42:01 AM »

i love green day and i LOVE that dress!!  i'm 29 and i would wear it!  i really think it is fantastic

i agree with purpleheather ... if my mum had done something like that i would have been SO impressed!  you must be an awesome mum!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006 07:58:54 AM »

Thanks soooo much! You guys are too sweet.
My daughter is going to be 12 in two weeks. I have a GD dress for her birthday that I am working on as well.... it is a recon of a man's XL t shirt that I Frankensteined with a skirt from the thrift and some other odds and ends I had around. I have to get it finished soon though.  Shocked
I always worry about my various DIY projects in RE: to her because I am "old school" punk and we were all about the DIY thing, but I don't know if the new school is so much like that. She gets tired of me saying "We could stencil that" or "Don't buy that we could make it & it'll be cooler". Back in the day I would NEVER have worn a t shirt or dress or something that anyone could have gotten at the mall!  I think this dress is okay though - as far as "Mom made" goes. Especially now that I have a few trusted okays from hip crafster chicks! She can tell her friends she made it to spare herself embarassment.THANKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
ambear
if you want me to, i'll cook and sew.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006 08:05:15 AM »

its an awesome dress.
also, keep saying that you can diy to your daughter. it sinks in eventually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

je suis riche, mais sans un sous.
http://www.sambaelegua.com/listen.html
sam07

learning to hex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006 08:27:53 AM »

One day your daughter will thank you for your creativity! My mom alway said the same things-we could make that, lets get something at the second hand store and rework it( for us it was creative and practical because we were poor). Please try to involve her in the projects, you both will treasure that time as you grow older. I trust her creative judgement still even if our styles are different( she's more birkenstocks and overalls and I'm more 4" heels and skirts). I have 5 daughters and i try to encourage each one to find her creative gift and use it. Thanks Mom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laragazza
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006 08:42:14 AM »

Oh wow, that's reelly awesome!  I think this offically makes you the coolest punk rock mom ever, and your daughter really dig it.

I loved when my mom made me things, and even asked my mom to make my prom dress (which she did, and it was sparkly and purple and hot pink and i loved it and spent the entire night doing miss america waves at everyone.)  Your daughter is lucky she's got a crafty mom who is involved in her life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sam07

learning to hex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006 09:25:55 AM »

just a quick thought, maybe pick up some black and white striped knee socks( or tights) or maybe red and black. This might help her visualize the outfit
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006 12:23:26 PM »

Sam07 - that's a FAB idea! I wish I had thought of that back in October when everyone had black & white striped tights for Halloween. I suppose THAT store at the mall has striped tights. (Shot Topic) I could also make a matching arm warmer or "sleeves" to go along in stripes. Knee socks would rock!
You are so right about doing stuff with your Mom. I never did anything like that with my Mom because it really was not her thing, but I do know that at least my daughter has picked up thinking beyond what is being mass produced and force fed to the masses by "working" with me. She has no interest in looking like everyone else and she seems to respect the work and thought behind one of a kind things. THAT is the most important thing I want her to take away from it all. Okay - enough mushy mom speaks...
Thanks! I had been so worried about the dress being okay - I couldn't see beyond that. Some go alongs to make it all pull together is a fabulous idea!
Thank you sooo much for the kind words everyone! I don't know if I am the coolest punk mama though... the most embarassing in public places, yes I have been told.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sam07

learning to hex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006 12:30:49 PM »

If you live near a Target they usually carry striped socks for cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glenn Talks to Rebel Artist SABO
Interlochen Camp
Quilt as You Go - Strip Quilt
New Monopoly Rules
Emmy Submission: The Future Of Us
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...