A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
808 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Neat Idea- labels for sewn items  (Read 1245 times)
Tags for this thread: label  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

froggerng
« on: February 08, 2006 08:07:12 PM »

I really wanted to start putting labels in all my purses and makeup bags, but I wasn't about to shell out big bucks to have them woven for me, and I like all my stuff to look really professional, so...

I remembered about this iron-on transfer paper we used when I used to work at an embroidery shop.  Basically, you run it through your printer with the design mirror-imaged, cut out your design, and iron it on t-shirts, pillowcases, etc.  I shrunk my design down to about 1/2" by 2" or so, and ironed the little cut-outs onto 1/2" seam binding.  Voila!  I now have totally professional-looking labels for my purses!

If your logo doesn't fit onto seam binding, you can always use plain white woven cotton.  The iron-on transfer seems to seal the edges enough that unraveling doesn't seem to be a problem, but I would satin-stitch the edges or use Fray-Check, just in case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy store!
http://viridian.etsy.com
Trendy Wendy
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006 08:23:41 PM »

I was trying to make labels for my bags too.  This is what I tried that worked great .
I printed out my logo on computer paper.  Cut it out then used clear contact paper on both sides and trimmed it then you can sew it in it your item.  Its like a plastic tag.  I like it because I can use color in my logo.

I havent tried the iron on transfer I did see a tutorial for it but havent tried it yet.

Wendy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GirlyGirlBags
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006 08:24:09 PM »

How does the transfer hold up?  my parents made me a t-shirt using that iron on stuff and it totally fell apart, cracked and peeled.  I'm glad I came across this because I want some labels for my purses too.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

froggerng
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006 08:27:02 PM »

I like the transfers because, if the directions on the transfer paper package are correct, it's "washable."  That means durable to me, and even though I don't encourage people to just toss my handmade pieces in the washing machine when they get grungy, it's nice to know the labels will come out lookin' good, lol! 

The plastic would be a good idea if I ever decide to put labels in my checkbook holders or wallets.  Those can really get a ton of use if people throw them in the purse they use every day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy store!
dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006 08:28:30 PM »

I put the transfers on 1" wide white satin ribbon and iron a fold in it. Looks just like clothing tags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

froggerng
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006 08:29:18 PM »

I think the trick is to iron them long enough, and use a lot of pressure with the iron.  I haven't had trouble yet.  I guess sewing around the edges helps too, because you're sewing through the plastic transfer layer too.  Keeps the edges from pulling up, which leads to rips and tears over the long run.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy store!
GirlyGirlBags
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006 11:53:13 AM »

AHHHH, I will defintely have to give that a try!  thanks for the tips, I"ll let you know how it works out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarawearsskirts
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006 10:12:39 AM »

another idea - i was thinking about tags this weekend, and was considering trying my iron-on transfer pen on a bit of light fabric - i don't have a good logo to print out, and i don't mind my tag looking a bit handmade, since the bag is handmade, and i think the consistency is nice.

i'll have to post back after and let you know how it works out.

-sara.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006 10:19:56 AM »

vanityandagun did a little tutorial on doing this with ribbon a while back http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=40044.0

good idea on the seam binding. i may give that a try instead of the ribbon.

it works pretty well, though i've got to work on making my text clearer. that and get my printer back from my friend. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006 10:23:18 AM by SewPixie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dan Gutman Talks About the Christmas Genie
Meet Author Mem Fox
Tough Enough Book Trailer
What Will You Do in Your First Ballet Class
Deirdre Imus Talks About The Essential Green You
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...