A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quilting with transparent nylon?  (Read 1126 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zenochka
« on: February 08, 2006 04:58:36 PM »

Hello! I am making a quilt for someone and she wants it quilted with transparent nylon. Have the quilt top done and all the layers basted together. Just wanted to know if there were any tips for quilting with it before I start? Never tried quilting with the transparent nylon before. Thanks!
Cheryl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

employed = hardly any time to sew :-(
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006 05:19:07 PM »

I'm not sure that's a great idea.  I guess I'm concerned with how that's going to effect the fabric.  It seems like over time, it will cut the fabric and the quilt will disintegrate.  Anyone else?  Or am I being crazy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006 05:32:28 PM »

Your question intrigued me because I have high hopes of one day doing a lot of quilting (but I'm snowed under with other things right now).  In the meantime I read a lot of quilting books and I'd heard of this thread and the way it eliminates need for matching thread colours.  Of course, the only quilting book I own (The Complete Idiot's Guide to Quilting) doesn't mention it anywhere I can see.  Anyway, had a look online and found Thread Theory at http://www.quiltbus.com/threadtheory.htm.  There is an information section on the invisible threads.  I'd suggest contacting a guild too, as they would be bound to have members who will have tried the stuff and might be happy to tell (or show) their results and any tricks or tips.  I hope you will post a picture of the finished work.  I love spending study time furtively flipping between my half-written essays and photographs of handmade quilts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
Stephannie

Dig that crazy sound.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006 05:40:58 PM »

I've machine quited with transparent nylon, and I don't think that the end result is all that bad.  It's tricky becasue the nylon breaks very easily.  If you use a stitch that is too small then you may get tearing over time.  The only thing that I'm not a fan of with the stuff is that any intricate stitching/quiting you do isn't as noticable because you can't see the thread.  And, you see more needle holes.  But, if that's okay then sew away!  Be sure to use a monofilament though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006 06:28:24 PM »

I've quilted my last few quilts with clear nylon thread and love it!

Especially for stitching in the ditch because if you aren't perfect and miss the ditch, the thread doesn't show up.

What I did was used the clear on the front and a thread that matches the back on the back.

A lady at the local quilt store was the one that got me into this and her only recommendation was that I try it on a scrap piece before starting to quilt to make sure that my machine would recognize the clear thread (I guess some don't).  Also to make sure the tension is proper - in other words, try it on scrap and make all the adjustments before starting.

The thread I used never broke no matter how small my stitches were, maybe different brands act differently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006 11:12:11 AM »

i've used transparent thread and i like it a lot too. actually i've never had a problem with it breaking. i'm fairly new to quilting so i first used it b/c like the other poster said i was having trouble stitching straight in the ditch. sure you can see some needle holes if you really look for them, but i think it also looks nice b/c it blends in so well that it doesn't detract from the block. the only thing that is a b*tch about the thread is that you're working with invisible thread. i needed a lot of light to thread the machine and i was very careful cutting off my strands so i didn't have stuff in the carpet for the cat to eat. but i like using it overall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006 04:07:39 PM »

I have also used it. Some nylon thread is lighter weight than others; try to get one that is a little heavier to minimise breaking. You might have to lower the top tension of the piece as well. Also use a lighter weight cotton thread for the bobbin, as it can pull through to the fromt if too heavy.
As mentioned, the quilting will not be as obvious, and invisible thread can sometimes be a pain to work with, but it shouldn't do to much damage.

Oh and don't iron the quilt on too high a temperature, as I found out... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zenochka
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006 03:04:28 PM »

thanks for all the tips! I tried it on pieces of scraps with the same fabrics and batiing I'm using and like the way it turned out so tomorrow I'll start quilting the quilt!  I'll post a pic when I'm all done!
Cheryl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zenochka
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006 07:26:51 AM »

I posted a pic of the finished quilt in the completed quilts section, it's the princess quilt. The transparent nylon wasn't that bad at all to work with. I definitely plan on using it again for another quilt!!
Cheryl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Best Spring Perfumes
Rouge New York: A Makeup Salon
Black and Gold Dual Eyeliner at Badgley Mischka NYFW 2014
Model Molly Sims LIVE
Get the J Crew Model Glow
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...