A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
731 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with those styrofoam MEAT TRAYS.......!  (Read 2275 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dharmadog
a.k.a. "Cheaterpants".

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2006 08:26:54 PM »

Not sure if someone has discussed this before, but just FYI.....

Those yucky meat trays that come under chicken and ground beef? The ones that take FOREVER to decompose.....?

Archaeologists want 'em!!

I used to work for the archaeology staff at Monticello, and after artifacts are cleaned and labeled, they have to be stored SOMEWHERE. Cardboard breaks down quickly, so the material of choice is old foam trays. Since you'll be storing something well, FOREVER, we used to put small artifacts on the trays, wrap it in plastic wrap, and stack those in boxes for all posterity in the museum. We NEVER had enough to them.

If you have them, wash them off with soap and water, dry them, save them in a box, and mail them or give them to any local university or museum that has an archaeology department. We used to get boxes of them in the mail at Monticello, addressed to the museum "attn: archaeology department".

Just FYI!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For crafty madness and general musings, visit my blog:
http://eatingtacoswhiledriving.blogspot.com/

Shop to help the animals! View handmade items by Rabbit Moon Artworks at http://www.craftersforcritters.com/index.php
honorhappy
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006 08:22:20 AM »

Good to know!  What about styrofoam from take out?  Also, I'm sure that the craftsters on here would love that university address, if it wouldn't be any trouble.  (I'm sure that others would want to give to their local colleges or state, but I'm actually in CA).  I'd love to save those trays from the dump!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BambiKhantastic
Craftster's Resident Tattoo Artist

Taloola Rocks my World!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006 04:34:08 PM »

That's an awesome Idea. I use them for painting trays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dharmadog
a.k.a. "Cheaterpants".

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006 04:38:52 PM »

Rather than paying for postage to mail, look around in your local area first for colleges or universities with archaeology programs. Give the local university a call, ask if they have an archaeology department, and ask anyone there is they ever need donations of foam trays to store artifacts in. I live in Virginia, so there are TONS of historical museums doing excavation--all those colonial president's homes and Williamsburg, Jamestown, etc.  If you live in an area shy of museums, here's tha mailing address for Monticello (home of Thomas Jefferson in Charlottesville, Virginia:)

Monticello Archaeology Department
P.O. Box 316
Charlottesville, VA 22902

Last time I was in touch, they were still excavating and could still use them.

Make sure you put archaeology on the box....otherwise, some tour guide will open up the box and think "what the Sam Hill is this?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shop to help the animals! View handmade items by Rabbit Moon Artworks at http://www.craftersforcritters.com/index.php
honorhappy
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006 03:16:22 AM »

thanks for the tip...must check local schools.  I don't eat meat too often, but I hate throwing things away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shelleibean
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006 05:29:19 AM »

in 5th grade we all had to bring one of those trays in for art class to make block prints.  i can't remember too clearly but we sort of carved a picture into the tray w/ a dull pencil, rolled paint over the design and pressed in onto a piece of paper.  i've been saving mine (as well as those styrofoam bins mushrooms come in) planning to make something lke that.  I"ve been using them as paint trays too for potato stamps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Barbra
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006 03:27:38 PM »

I just attended a weatherization workshop and one of their "cheap tricks" is to use the styrofoam to make insulation for the electric plugs and switches on outside walls (inside the house): just unscrew the cover, eyeball the layout (4 switches, 2 plugs,whatever - cut the styrofoam to fit, tuck it in over the nekked plug/switch, screw the cover back in, and voila! No drafts. I was skeptical until I tried it and now I'm a convert (NOT a convict, however....).

((dharmagirl! we meet again! the Advocates' meeting sounded like a henhouse when I opened the beany baby box! They just could not believe that you sent them for us!))  {{{{{{HUGS!}}}}}}}
 ~ Barbara[/color]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dharmadog
a.k.a. "Cheaterpants".

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006 12:48:57 PM »

((dharmagirl! we meet again! the Advocates' meeting sounded like a henhouse when I opened the beany baby box! They just could not believe that you sent them for us!))  {{{{{{HUGS!}}}}}}}
 ~ Barbara[/color]
[/quote]

Barbara--Yippee!! You totally made my day AGAIN. Go, Advocates, go! the work you do is incredible!! I am always happy to meet you again on Crafster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lysses
Speak Softly & Carry a Big Stick

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006 05:05:50 PM »

Thanks for posting this - it's really god to know. I'll pass it on to my carnivorous family!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheesydish
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006 05:38:06 PM »

my grandpa's live in girlfriend (of 20 years) used to always take them and make cats or flowers or bunnies.  they were actually really cute (she'd cut a shape out, then pen on eyes and whatever).  she'd tie them with a bit of raffia (maybe?) and a bit of a bright newspaper bag and use them as tags on gifts. then we'd always end up using them as christmas ornaments.  i don't have any nearby (it not being at all close to xmas) so i can't really give a good description, sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tom Clavin: What Are You Reading?
Shirley Jones: What Are You Reading
Fran Lebowitz: The Importance of Drawing Pilgrims
Anders De La Motte on the Game Trilogy
Su Meck Talks About Forgetting to Remember
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...