A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: AOL tin = Fridge shopping list.  (Read 5184 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anniekate
« on: December 03, 2003 09:02:30 AM »

While casting about in frustration for a notepad and pen last night to start a shopping list, inspiration hit. The deeper half of AOL tins have a small lip around the edge, perfect for keeping a pencil from falling off.

So I grabbed one from my extensive stash and colored around the edges with silver metallic sharpie to obliterate the suggestion to try new AOL 9.0 Optimized! (It took two coats - let the first coat dry a long time before doing the second.)

I then glued two relatively flat magnets to the top back with that silicone gel glue you've used to make picture marble magnets. I used flattish ones so the thing wouldn't tilt too much when I leaned my hand against it to write on the notepad. I could tell they would be strong enough to hold up the whole thing because I tried it by sticking them to the back of the tin first with their own magnetic magic powers, then stuck that to the fridge, and added the notepad and the pencil, and nothing slid around. Yay!

Step three was to take the paper backing off a Post-It notepad and stick the pad directly to the middle of the tin.

Step four, put on fridge, get small pencil to set on ledge, and write "Paper Towels" on the notepad so you don't forget again! This whole project took me less than five minutes, but I only did one coat of Sharpie before I put it up, didn't let the glue dry before sticking it up (hey, the magic magnetism will hold it while it dries if no one moves it) and haven't embellished it in any way. I'll post a pic after I go back and make it pretty. (I just really wanted to get the reminder to buy paper towels down before I forgot.  Tongue )
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003 09:06:06 AM by anniekate » THIS ROCKS   Logged
creatingme
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003 09:16:53 AM »

Great idea!  I will be putting one up on my fridge today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anniekate
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003 11:38:21 AM »

Thanks! OK, here's a picture.

Big version:
http://www.idea-inc.com/~acrain/pics/fridgelist.jpg

All I did was add little marble pictures spelling out GET THIS.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010 05:59:55 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
veruca_petunia
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003 12:53:31 PM »

oooh! i like. man, now i wish that i got those annoying things in the mail. i havent gotten any at my new address!!! (hee hee hee, wanting junk mail, how silly)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...sweet dreams 'till sunbeams find you...
plainmabel
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003 01:41:05 PM »

Genius!!  I love it...I'm dying for one to come in the mail now too.  It's been awhile which is odd.  Do they give them out in any public places, or is it just the ones in the cardboard sleeves that they do that with?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plain Mabel :: Extraordinary Gifts and Accessories
Awful Cufflinks :: Everyday stuff, just better.
anniekate
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003 01:34:44 AM »

I think they only give out the cardboard covered ones in public places. You can stack way more into the display that way. But they're still mailing out the tin ones -- I think they alternate that and the plastic DVD-style cases.

Probably the best way to ensure a steady stream of AOL mailings is to take their free trial offer and then cancel. They don't like to lose someone who's been, even if ever so briefly, in their grasp. It's really hard to convince the customer service rep you really want to cancel, and then once you do, you're on their mailing list for life with "Come back now for two free months!!!" offers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
likearespirator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003 09:51:14 PM »

Wow i love this one. This is better than the coaster idea! This is wonderful, good idea, thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nervousness.org
care2.com
disgruntledhousewif e.com/
email: jurcg@hotmail.com
VaguelyVogue
Lauri Loves You!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003 12:56:52 PM »

OKay after calling 3 different phone numbers i got the phone number of aol where you can have then send you a free cd, *HOPEFULLY*it comes in the tin!   so here it is 1-877-773-4462

Yea! I hope it comes in the tin!

LaURi C.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anniekate
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003 08:02:20 PM »

Hmm. The last one I got came in a plastic DVD-style case, but maybe you'll luck out. In any case, you're now on their List, and you'll be getting CD's about once a month until the end of the universe. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MeOwZa
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003 08:18:55 PM »

i tell everyone i know that i am on an AOL tin hunt...

someone told me that while shopping the day after thanksgiving they saw about 3 boxes full of AOL cd tins waiting to be distributed at a Sears--- i think i might pay the cashier like $10 to let me take a box or two  Shocked

i haven't had a chance to check out the lead but if i hit the jackpot, i will be sure to let y'all know.  

i posted this in another thread but...

i got this rounded tin at best buy today. apparently if you have a rewards card you get one for free. my bf has a rewards card and got it for me. its thick enough to fit about 10 loose CDs.  it holds about 40 of the small marble images i made covering one surface

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/AA/70/27247786-8f04-01800200-.jpg

i have a friend that works at best buy- and while i was there i saw a huge display of these on a forklift... i am trying to find out if he can get me some loot! these would be so cool to give magnetic gifts in that don't fit in the aol tin!

::crosses fingers::
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010 06:04:07 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brendan McNally Reveals His Best Quality
Amy Reed Reveals Her Most Noticeable Trait
Chris Evans Talks About The Iron Elves Series
Lisa Lampanelli is Funny
Mark Palmer and Scott Solder Talks About You Need This Book
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...