A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Woven necklace - with TUTORIAL  (Read 6688 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 06, 2006 09:20:35 PM »

Here is a necklace I made a few weeks ago.  I get loads of comments when I wear it so I thought I'd share with my fellow craftsters.....

The necklace has five strands of beads (more if you want!!) varying in size from seed beads (I chose the square tube beads cause they tended to "shine" or reflect the light better than seed beads) to 10mm beads.  Select a colour palette of either one, two or three colours with a variety of shapes, finishes and sizes.  I realised after finishing my necklace, that my necklace would have looked better if I had chosen a similar shade of beads - ie. chosen a dark coloured green rather than the light coloured green.  The necklace can be made either collarbone length, about 18 or 19 inches - which is the length I did or mid-chest length, about 26 inches.

Template
Firstly, you need to make a template.  For the collarbone length (18 inches), you need to cut a 5 1/2 inch diametre circle from foam board (if you have it.  If not, I just cut two from fairly thick cardboard and sandwiched two together with mounting tape).  You could also use a thick cardboard box.  This is then glued to a larger piece of cardboard.  Mark the top centre and bottom centre.  For the longer length cut a teardrop shape 9 3/4 inches long x 5 inches wide.  Here is a picture of my template:

Clasp
Tape a clasp to the top centre.  I used a toggle clasp but any clasp would work.  I also put a jump ring onto the clasp as the clasp hole was only quite small and two or three strands will need to pass through the hole of either the clasp or jump ring.  I used plain old fishing line but I guess you could use beading thread or Nymo.  If you choose to use thread, you would need to use a beading needle.  I used enough line to go round the template 5 times plus I would guess about another 18 inches.  Yes, I know that's long but I personally don't like having to attach thread in the middle of a project, but you can do so.  Start with a lark's head knot.  A lark's head knot is where you fold the end of the thread to form a loop.  Pass the loop through the clasp or jump ring, then thread the ends of the thread back through the loop and pull tight. 

Stringing
The first strand will lay the closest to the edge of the template.  String on a bead a little larger than a seed bead (just a nice way to end a strand) then string about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of seed beads.  String on a small contrasting bead.  Continue in this fashion (ie. 1 to 1 1/2 inches of sead bead then contrasting bead) but with the contrasting beads getting larger as you get towards the front of the necklace and getting smaller as you continue from the front to the back of the necklace.  When you get to the other side of the necklace, thread a small bead (like the bead on the other end), then thread through the other clasp end (or jump ring as the case may be) then thread back through the end bead.  Continue with the next strand.  String on about 1/2 inch of seed beads, a small contrasting bead, and 1/2 inch of seed beads (approx.) or enough to reach the first small bead on the first strand and take your thread through this first small bead on the first strand.  Continue doing strands and connecting them to the contrasting bead, again, gradually increasing the size of the "shared" or contrasting beads.  Make sure your most important beads are at the front.  Below is a close up of the back of the necklace:

There are 5 strands in total but below is a close up of where I threaded the 5th strand into the 4th strand to reduce bulk at the clasp:

Below is a closeup of the front.  You can do the front however you like but I liked the look of this:

And here is a picture of the finished necklace on the template:

It is a lot of work but trust me, it is easy and looks stunning.  If you have any questions, please ask!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Whaam
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006 12:54:27 AM »

ooh, it's gorgeous... I'm going to have to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yamwam
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006 08:21:47 AM »

Wow! Your necklace looks very regal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Loose pleats sink fleets

Wists
craftyLynny
creative birdie*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006 11:38:53 AM »

Wow, that is gorgeous!  I bookmarked this one so I can try it later when I find some time or maybe for a swap I have coming up.  Can't wait and I trust you that it is easy, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006 11:47:22 PM »

Wow, that is gorgeous!  I bookmarked this one so I can try it later when I find some time or maybe for a swap I have coming up.  Can't wait and I trust you that it is easy, lol!

If you get stuck or want clearer directions - let me know!!!  Sadly.....I'm always here!!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aphie
Botticelli Babe

No narrow-hipped nymphet, I'm a Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006 12:16:33 AM »

I'm going to try this when I'm not feeling so frazzled.... and will probably take you up on that offer!
It looks amazing, thanks so much for the tute.  Kiss
I have itchy fingers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
I do personal swaps - PM me!
sunnyb64

free as a bird...it's the next best thing to be

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006 12:41:47 PM »

Oh, I'll definitely have to try that. It's gorgeous, and I love the color scheme you picked-- it's so earthy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006 03:24:02 PM »

Thanks sunnyb64.....my colour scheme is exactly that, earthy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zombi

Woman of Dark Desires

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006 07:42:33 PM »

Thank you for the tute, I've been looking around for something like this. If only it weren't halfway through semester!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lay her down in her gingerbread coffin, she's so pretty all laid out in white...
I'll be your deadly nightshade, turn your Christmas black, and you can be my Johnny Homicidal Maniac!
chrissy.eew

i think carefully before acting rashly.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006 09:34:40 AM »

this is absolutely gorgeous!
i am completely terrified to attempt making it.
well done and thank you for the tutorial, maybe i'll get over my fear soon. i bookmarked this page.
have a great day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quote of the day: "That techno-rock you guys listen to is gutless." -valley girl

http://agirlnamedcricket.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Blackberry-Oat Bran Muffin Recipe
How to Make Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding
Tips for Making Lemon Meringue Pie
How to Make Coca-Cola Frosting
Coca-Cola Cake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...