A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 306,424
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *Vintage Dressmaker's Dummy Lamp*  (Read 4431 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rocknroll

I've been away, but now I'm back!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006 08:28:14 AM »

i really love this! the first thing i thought of when i saw it was the photography of Joel-Peter Witken and his photograph of "Woman Once A Bird" in particular! (don't go googling his works unless you are very comfortably with the obscure and obscene...some of them are mortifyingly grotesque...woman once a bird is pretty mild though...no big deal) anyways it has a really dark and kind of erie and yet absoloutly gorgeous feeling about it! great work!

Thanks! Those photos are amazing. I can see the resemblance! I wanted to leave it very "bare bones" and dilapitated looking.

In terms of a secure base, I think I have an idea: I'm going to glue a piece of plexi to the cage at the bottom. That way it will have a flat stand that doesn't interfere with the overall look...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maleficent
Down the Rabit Hole

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006 12:09:57 PM »

i really love this! the first thing i thought of when i saw it was the photography of Joel-Peter Witken and his photograph of "Woman Once A Bird" in particular! (don't go googling his works unless you are very comfortably with the obscure and obscene...some of them are mortifyingly grotesque...woman once a bird is pretty mild though...no big deal) anyways it has a really dark and kind of erie and yet absoloutly gorgeous feeling about it! great work!

Thanks! Those photos are amazing. I can see the resemblance! I wanted to leave it very "bare bones" and dilapitated looking.

In terms of a secure base, I think I have an idea: I'm going to glue a piece of plexi to the cage at the bottom. That way it will have a flat stand that doesn't interfere with the overall look...

you deffinatly achived your desired look! and as for the plexi that sounds like a great way to keep the overall apearence of it and keep it stable! now i really wish we had crazy old guys selling dress forms on my street!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -Gandhi
shugrbee

I just wanna craft!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006 03:32:53 PM »

Hi there!

I realize this post is rather old now but I just wanted to reply to one thing here.. I bought a mannequin torso last year with the idea of making it into a lamp and I actually found a lamp stand at Goodwill for about 4 bucks to stand the mannequin on. Maybe that would work for stability for your dummy-lamp?

Unfortunately I'm scared to make a hole in the top for the lamp cord (it's made of a kind of thick styrofoam that seems to crack easily but for now it's sitting, painted bright blue and wearing a green t-shirt, in my living room and it served as a cool alternative to a Christmas tree this past year when I tied pine boughs around it as a skirt!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Braided Updo Tutorial: Summer Wedding Style
Must Try Shampoos For Your Hair Type
Tips For Lighter Summer Hair
How to Keep Curly Hair Healthy
How to Use an Egg Wash on Your Scalp
Latest Blog Articles
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap
The X-Files

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...