A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,026
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *Vintage Dressmaker's Dummy Lamp*  (Read 3929 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rocknroll

I've been away, but now I'm back!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006 08:28:14 AM »

i really love this! the first thing i thought of when i saw it was the photography of Joel-Peter Witken and his photograph of "Woman Once A Bird" in particular! (don't go googling his works unless you are very comfortably with the obscure and obscene...some of them are mortifyingly grotesque...woman once a bird is pretty mild though...no big deal) anyways it has a really dark and kind of erie and yet absoloutly gorgeous feeling about it! great work!

Thanks! Those photos are amazing. I can see the resemblance! I wanted to leave it very "bare bones" and dilapitated looking.

In terms of a secure base, I think I have an idea: I'm going to glue a piece of plexi to the cage at the bottom. That way it will have a flat stand that doesn't interfere with the overall look...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maleficent
Down the Rabit Hole

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006 12:09:57 PM »

i really love this! the first thing i thought of when i saw it was the photography of Joel-Peter Witken and his photograph of "Woman Once A Bird" in particular! (don't go googling his works unless you are very comfortably with the obscure and obscene...some of them are mortifyingly grotesque...woman once a bird is pretty mild though...no big deal) anyways it has a really dark and kind of erie and yet absoloutly gorgeous feeling about it! great work!

Thanks! Those photos are amazing. I can see the resemblance! I wanted to leave it very "bare bones" and dilapitated looking.

In terms of a secure base, I think I have an idea: I'm going to glue a piece of plexi to the cage at the bottom. That way it will have a flat stand that doesn't interfere with the overall look...

you deffinatly achived your desired look! and as for the plexi that sounds like a great way to keep the overall apearence of it and keep it stable! now i really wish we had crazy old guys selling dress forms on my street!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -Gandhi
shugrbee

I just wanna craft!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006 03:32:53 PM »

Hi there!

I realize this post is rather old now but I just wanted to reply to one thing here.. I bought a mannequin torso last year with the idea of making it into a lamp and I actually found a lamp stand at Goodwill for about 4 bucks to stand the mannequin on. Maybe that would work for stability for your dummy-lamp?

Unfortunately I'm scared to make a hole in the top for the lamp cord (it's made of a kind of thick styrofoam that seems to crack easily but for now it's sitting, painted bright blue and wearing a green t-shirt, in my living room and it served as a cool alternative to a Christmas tree this past year when I tied pine boughs around it as a skirt!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Latest Cameras in the Market
New Releases for Photographers
Photography and Make Up
Macro Photography Tips
What is Macro Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...