A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
319 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *Vintage Dressmaker's Dummy Lamp*  (Read 3931 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rocknroll

I've been away, but now I'm back!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2006 05:51:16 PM »

So I bought this old dressmaker's dummy off this guy on the street for $20 a few years ago. The lining is all ratty and hanging off but I like how it looks and "1967" is stamped on it so I left it alone. and I bought this hanging lamp on a chain off the street for around $15 and decided to put the 2 together. I removed the chain and used random bolts and such that I had around the house to secure it.

The full length shot:

Close-up of lamp part:

with the light on:

I like how it turned out, but wish I could think of a way to make the cage at the bottom a more sturdy base...I don't think a coat rack would work because I believe this is the kind of dummy that would hang, not free-stand...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lalalibertine

philly craft stylez

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006 08:16:28 PM »

that is crazy awesome! it looks so industrial! haha i would love to have something like that in my apartment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jakesgirl
Lexi

I play with art.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006 08:46:00 PM »

That is the greatest lamp on earth!!! I'm so jealous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you really sure that a floor can't also be a ceiling?
-M. C. Escher
rocknroll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006 07:10:35 AM »

that is crazy awesome! it looks so industrial! haha i would love to have something like that in my apartment!

that's it! that's why i felt i should leave the ratty fabric on it...it went so well with the metal fixture - very "industrial!"

the only thing i'm concerned about is that it's not on the most sturdy base...i have cats and they live to knock my stuff over...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tantrum
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006 01:40:52 PM »

i find it interesting that you bought these off some random people in the street. I can just picture a sketchy looking guy in an alley leaning out and " pssst. wanna buy a dress makers dummy from 1969?" you know like a craft dealer instead of crack. Or what ever. But it looks cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength"
MartiniMonsters
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006 10:21:20 AM »

I really like this, but at the same time, I think it's awfully creepy. I just imagine running into it in the middle of the night. It's creepy in a good way though, I'd still put it in my house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rocknroll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006 12:12:51 PM »

i find it interesting that you bought these off some random people in the street. I can just picture a sketchy looking guy in an alley leaning out and " pssst. wanna buy a dress makers dummy from 1969?" you know like a craft dealer instead of crack. Or what ever. But it looks cool!

well the lamp guy was actually having a stoop sale, but the way I got the dress form was I saw this guy loading a bunch of them into the back of his van and I asked him if I could have one. He of course said I had to pay so I gave him $20.

I really like this, but at the same time, I think it's awfully creepy. I just imagine running into it in the middle of the night. It's creepy in a good way though, I'd still put it in my house.

yeah it can be creepy sometimes. like i said, the base is unsteady so sometimes my cat will bump it and it starts rocking slowly back in forth like it's posessed...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orangeisgood
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006 06:06:01 PM »

Great lamp!!

More sturdy base.. you could set it in some industruial looking container or the bottom of an old hat box, and fill with cement, just so it holds the bottom well enough. Cement is easy and cheap.  I love that lamp yes I do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rocknroll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006 05:03:57 PM »

Great lamp!!

More sturdy base.. you could set it in some industruial looking container or the bottom of an old hat box, and fill with cement, just so it holds the bottom well enough. Cement is easy and cheap.  I love that lamp yes I do.

hmmm...i like the idea of an industrial container...but what? i don't want to hide the cage at the bottom. and i want something that looks like it belongs. i'll have to mull over this one for a while.

thanks for getting my thoughts going. I was stuck the idea of a pole/coatrack stand but i don't think this was originally on a pole.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maleficent
Down the Rabit Hole

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006 08:16:13 PM »

i really love this! the first thing i thought of when i saw it was the photography of Joel-Peter Witken and his photograph of "Woman Once A Bird" in particular! (don't go googling his works unless you are very comfortably with the obscure and obscene...some of them are mortifyingly grotesque...woman once a bird is pretty mild though...no big deal) anyways it has a really dark and kind of erie and yet absoloutly gorgeous feeling about it! great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -Gandhi
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Ice Cream Cake Cones
No-Bake Chocolate Wafer Cake Recipe
How to Prepare Rainbow Cupcakes
Red, White, and Blue Ice Pops Recipe
How to Make Marshmallows for the 4th of July
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...