A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,669
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Eunny Jang's Deep V argyle vest  (Read 55102 times)
Tags for this thread: argyle , eunny_jang , vest  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eunnyjang
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006 10:35:26 PM »

Hey guys - just a quick note - as it says in the pattern, superwash wool or blends are NOT suitable for crocheted steeks.  You really need a pure, untreated 100% wool to make this work.

If you are going to use a blend or a superwash, it would be wise to skip the crochet and machine-sew the steeks instead.  I'd hate for anyone to knit the vest, try crocheted steeks for the first time, and have everything fall apart. 

Thanks!
Eunny
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will also be cocktail sauce.  -- Smoove B

See Eunny Knit!
knittnkitten
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006 04:22:24 AM »

Crap.... is Knitpicks Merino Style a superwash? I didn't see anything about it being a superwash..... of course I'm not even entirely sure what that is, so I guess it could be. I was planning to use Merino Style for the vest, and some wool yarn I have for the steeks.... Eunny, advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soubriquet
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006 04:31:35 AM »

It's not a superwash wool - my mom accidentally felted a mitten I made with it once to prove it. I'm definitely going to use a highly "sticky" yarn to do the steeks though, and I could use some advice there. Would something like Lopi work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pen and paper : handcut silhouettes, original drawings, miniature paintings and many other whimsies
soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006 06:14:54 AM »

Lopi is awfully thick, you may want to try something thinner, since it will add to the bulk of the sweater if you don't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eunnyjang
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006 06:38:39 AM »

No worries about Merino Style; it's ideal for the project.  I was talking about RYC Cashsoft and Dale Falk; the first is a blend and the second is a superwash.  Again, you absolutely CAN knit the vest with these, but you should machine-sew rather than crochet the steeks.

As for crochet yarn?  Hmm. Dale Tiur, which is a 60/40 mohair/wool, is perfect.  Even Light Lopi is a worsted, right?  I think that would be too thick to hold the edge properly. Really, any DK weight non-superwash wool or wool/mohair blend should be fine.  I'll think on it a little more and come up with a suggested list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will also be cocktail sauce.  -- Smoove B

See Eunny Knit!
knittnkitten
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006 07:09:54 AM »

No worries about Merino Style; it's ideal for the project.

PHEW!

I'm so excited to get my yarn and get to work on this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beatnik_chik
Lightly Effervescent

Helpless!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006 09:22:54 AM »

By a miraculous convenience, I've got enough Knitpicks Merino Style in Hollyberry and Nutmeg to knit up this vest.
That's awesome!  I hope we don't live near each other, because I'm planning to wear this vest A LOT!  Can't wait to see your swatches so I know what to expect when I get my yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<{{{><
And like a downward smoke, the slender stream
Along the cliff to fall and pause and fall did seem.
fire tweed
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006 10:46:14 AM »

i LOVE this vest. i've never done fair isle or steeking, but what an excellent pattern to use to plunge in headfirst. Already started swatching with random bits of yarn my stash coughed up, and fair isle isn't nearly as hard as i thought it would be.

As far as yarn options go, i ordered a color card for Brown Sheep Naturespun Sport http://yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=612. I've read mixed reviews on the softness of this yarn...guess i'll find out soon enough. Naturespun works up at a slightly finer gauge, but i knit somewhat loosely, so i'm hoping that in combination with knitting a larger size will work out. Some sort of burgundy/light pink combo appeals to me, or maybe a forest green/light sage...

In the obsessive internets yarn search of the last few days, other yarns that looked like they could work include: Jaeger Extra Fine Merino DK http://yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=317, Jo Sharp DK Wool (on sale at webs http://yarn.com/yarns-knitting/josharp-dkWool.html, though not many colors left), and Plymouth Country 8ply http://yarn.com/yarns-knitting/country8.html.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisacb
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006 11:11:34 AM »

Is everyone starting right away on this vest? I won't be able to do this for the olympics since I totally glossed over the part about machine washable wool not working with the crochet steeks. Crapp, alright looks like I'll have to order some yarn for this since I don't have a sewing machine. At least I can use the Falk for the norweigan stockings. For those who ordered from Knitpicks, does it take some time for your purchase to arrive?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RunsWithTrowels

a little bit of trouble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006 12:16:04 PM »

this vest is on my "to knit" list after the olympics.

i am planning on buying knitpicks' merino style in petal or rhubarb & cinnamon.  i can't decide between the lighter & the darker pinks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dirt & Yarn Don't Mix<---shameless blog plug
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 7/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 4/10
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 2/5
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 8/11
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...