A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,362
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painted garden stones  (Read 2056 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2004 04:07:40 PM »

Over the past few years I've run a (very) small business called Painted Trillium (after a local variation of the trillium flower) where I paint and sell slabs of stone for the home and garden. Well, the profit margin was great when I had time to deal with it, but I've had to let things fizzle for a while. Since I don't think my 'business secret' is in any danger from competition on this site (no one lives in my area, from what I can tell!) I thought I'd share my technique, and see if anyone else gets inspired from it.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/anne.whitcombe/ladyslip.jpg

I bought slabs of stone from the local garden/landscaping centre --- they gave me great deals on pieces that had broken off of larger tiles, so I could usually get about a dozen stones for about $15. Limestone's the easiest to work with, because it's smoothest; sandstone's not bad either; but granite and quartz are very rough to work with. I took them home, laid them out in the driveway and hosed them off (really dirty ones got scrubbed with TSP and rinsed off again), and let them dry.

Then, using a dark drawing pencil (6B or so, to really show up on the rocks), I sketched out my drawings. I gathered images from field guides --- my focus was local flowers, leaves, and butterflies, for the most part. I realle enjoyed finding the best place on the stone to put the picture, using the natural layers of the rock to add depth and interest.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/anne.whitcombe/dogwood.jpg

Once the image was plotted out, I used plain acrylic craft paints and cheapo (but fine-tipped) nylon brushes to paint the picture. (Painting on stone is hard on the bristles --- go figure!) To make the image really "pop", I used some diluant (a thinning medium for acrylics) and a little bit of black paint to make a transparent shadow effect around the edge of the image, so it looks like it's hovering a bit above the stone.

Finally, I sealed the whole thing with concrete sealer, which comes in big jugs for a few bucks at the hardware store. This not only protects the paint (if water seeps underneath it, it would peel), but also gives a nice glossy shine to the painted areas. The rock itself doesn't turn shiny, don't worry.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/anne.whitcombe/daisy.jpg

We've had a number of these stones sitting out in the garden at home (even during brutal Canadian winters) for about 5 years now, and they're only just showing signs of beginning to fade. I suppose you could use outdoor acrylic paints, which might last a little longer, but I can't see the need...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/anne.whitcombe/monarch.jpg
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010 03:25:11 AM by SevsOnlyGirl - Reason: missing pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
paigeywithwings
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004 05:07:11 PM »

I really like this idea.  I think that this is something that would definately sell big around here.  I live in eastern Kentucky, where flower gardens bloom with pride.  People around here would definately love these.  I may have to start production.  Tongue  Great work.  Great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
helenpaige.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Plating the Crab Cakes
Making the Aioli for the Crab Cakes
Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes Recipe
Plating the New York Strip Steak
Making Cognac Butter for the Strip Steaks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...