A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: paper purse, with tutorial  (Read 10754 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2004 03:49:58 PM »

Ok, so I got inspired by the magazine purse thread (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=6530.0), but was unable to find iron-on vinyl anywhere nearby. I mused aloud in that thread about mac-tac (self-adhesive plastic) and wondered if it might make a purse strong enough to use... Well, I figured there's no better way to find out than by trying one myself, so here's my experiment. You can see that I used a different technique to make the bag itself, something more akin to a paper lunchbag than a sewn purse --- I'm pretty sure that the plastic wouldn't hold too well if I tried to sew through it.

You'll need:
paper (I used kraft mailing paper, because it was cheap and this was an experiment --- but you can get gorgeous wrapping paper by the sheet at stationery stores)
mac-tac, or other clear self-adhesive plastic
scissors
a box (or book or other rectangular object) about the size you want your finished project to be

Cut two sheets of mac-tac and one sheet of paper to size. To figure out what "to size" ought to be, lay your box out on the paper along one edge, then turn it over until you've measured out how much you'll need to cover all four sides, then add a couple of inches extra for overlap. Then, to the height of the box, add about an inch at the top (thnk seam allowance), and enough at the bottom to ALMOST cover the width of box.

Carefully, cover first one side and then the other of the paper with the two sheets of mac-tac. (Peel back the lining paper just a bit, align the mac-tac with the top edge of the paper, and then gently peel back a bit at a time while smoothing out any wrinkles...

With the right side facing down, fold over about an inch to make what will be the top edge of the bag. (Paper obviously won't fray like fabric, but the double thickness will give it added strength and rigidity.) Cut a strip of mac-tac to use as tape to hold this down. (You could just use tape, but the mac-tac sticks well to itself and is more durable than the scotch tape I had on hand!)

Wrap the paper around the box, so that there will be enough overhang at the bottom to cover.

Seal the joining with another strip of mac-tac "tape". (I like the brown kraft-paper look, and I think it'd be cute to make this look like a lunchbag by trimming the paper at this join with pinking shears, but I didn't have any on hand.) Cut the "tape" long enough to wrap an inch or so around to the inside of the bag, for extra strength.

Now, turn the box on end, and cover the bottom of the box as though you were wrapping a present: push the short sides in first, and crease the folds neatly, then fold one long side in, and then the other.

Cover the entire bottom of the box with another strip of mac-tac, cut to size (basically, a wider strip of the "tape" you've been using all along). Slide the box out, and crease all the folds by pinching then between your fingernails, so they have a nice sharp edge.

To make the handle, cut a strip of paper and a matching strip of mac-tac to twice the width you want the handle to be. Cover the paper with the mac-tac, and then fold the edges into the middle (right side out) so there's a seam running up the middle of the handle. With more "tape", securely cover the seam on the handle, so your fingers won't get pinched by the paper while you're carrying it.

Slide one end of the handle into the bag, and secure with strips of "tape" on both the inside and the outside of the bag.

Adjust the handle to the length you want it, and secure the other end the same way you did the first.

Ta-da!

I've been carrying little things around the house in this all day, to test for strength; so far, the mac-tac has held well. I'll report back if there are any major issues once I've been using it for a while! I know that the paper/mac-tac combination will be prone to wrinkling, but I think that might add more character over time.

Let me know what you think of my little experiment!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004 12:11:49 PM by trufflegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
moonunit426
Democrafter

Dear Duct Tape, You hold my life together. <3 M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004 05:43:32 PM »

that would be a great way to make gift bags
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Demeter

Breaking Some Bad Habits

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004 06:30:14 AM »

I agree, moonunit, this is a great way to make your own gift bags and such.

Great job!  And good for you to experiment, trufflegirl.  More of us, myself included, need to do that when it comes to crafting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nekussa

Who invented liquid soap and why?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004 04:41:36 PM »

I too live in Canada and got more than a few strange looks when I asked about "iron-on vinyl" at the shops. No one's heard of it or at the very least doesn't carry it. All I keep hearing is "why not use that stuff that you cover books with". I just bought some contact paper today *YIPPEE* and I can't wait to try this out! Thanks for going out on a limb with this one...please let us know how it holds up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty Jule
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004 06:27:19 AM »

That's real cute. I really like the idea of using the brown krrat paper too ... It would be great to have kids decorte the paper so Mom's everywhere can carry there kids art work!
Jule
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hopeevey
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004 09:54:52 AM »

What a neato idea!  Now I'm awash in purse concepts to try Smiley  Collage, random coloring, anyway of decorating paper can be made into a purse like this.

Oh, and if you make the bottom larger, you'd have a waterproof basket, I think.  Ooooohhh, the possibilities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spangle
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006 08:53:21 PM »

Oh, cool! I'm from New Zealand, where we are likewise bereft of iron-on vinyl (amongst other things - I would just about kill to get my hands on some of those blank ring-forms somewhere local, but that's another whinge) and I have about 10 rolls of "cover-seal", our equivalent of mac-tac I guess.

I just used it along with some chiyogami papers printed out off the Canon Japan website to cover a few little notebooks. I was wondering about making wallets out of this stuff, I guess I should just give it a go!

Cheers,
Miriam
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spiderlady
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006 09:02:03 AM »

I use iron-on vinyl; the brand name is Therm-O-Web.  If you Google that name you can probably find online suppliers.  It's pretty neat stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am an apologist for the spiders.

Just treat me no differently than you would the Tarantula Queen.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Ribbon Ponytail Holders
How to Make a 1950s Hostess Apron
How to Make a Ribbon Watchband
How to Make an Origami Handbag
How to Make a Paisley Silk Scarf
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...