A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,886
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2016 QuiltAlong, now with prizes!  (Read 28381 times)
Tags for this thread: quiltalong , sewalong  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

I like big quilts and I cannot lie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: January 03, 2017 03:29:09 PM »

Thanks aimr!  All the soluble embroidery petal bits are finished, cut out and soaked, I'm just waiting for them to dry before I assemble/attach them.  I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't quilt the blue before I added the applique (it is quilted where I've added the flowers and stems, though), and I'm dithering between "eh, it's fine, leave it" and "quilt ALL the things!"

ETA:  All finished!  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=451264.0  I did do more quilting in the end.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017 05:37:17 AM by Amazon_warrior » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Immaculata
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #551 on: January 14, 2017 04:29:04 AM »

Really lovely work Amazon_Warrior! You have a good eye for colour and you're very talented at mixing different techniques.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Immaculata

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: January 15, 2017 05:07:17 AM »

Inspired by all that nice machine quilting on here, I have taken the plunge and ordered a quilting foot for my machine! I did a FMQ class recently and I really loved doing it. I borrowed an open buttonhole foot from a friend to practice with and while it worked, it wasn't great, so I decided to buy a proper quilting foot. I have a Bernina machine so those feet are not cheap, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. I already know I'm going to use it a lot.

So far, I've mostly done either hand quilting for 'nicer' quilt work or the regular sewing foot or an old fashioned presser foot ( this type of thing: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1k.J_KFXXXXcgXFXXq6xXFXXXX/Taiwan-bernina-old-font-b-sewing-b-font-font-b-machines-b-font-dedicated-font-b.jpg  ) to stitch in the ditch by machine and I can't wait to do more fancy machine quilting. I don't mind hand quilting that much, but it takes ages and I prefer hand embroidery to hand quilting.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017 05:07:44 AM by Immaculata » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #553 on: January 15, 2017 03:33:40 PM »

I ponied up the dough for a couple of Craftsy classes to learn how to machine quilt on a regular machine. Once I can manage that, I'll tackle free motion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Immaculata

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: January 19, 2017 03:14:14 AM »

How's the quality of the classes? I've been thinking about taking some online classes as well. I'm completely self taught (although I have a background in sewing so I know my way around a machine) until that recent one hour FMQ workshop and that single hour probably saved me a whole year in trial and error. I don't have the time to take regular classes IRL, but I can see the point of classes now.

I don't think FMQ is all that difficult actually, compared to 'regular' machine quilting. It takes some getting used to the way you handle the fabric, but that's the main trick. It's a lot of fun to just be able to doodle on fabric. (But I'm still very far away from those super complicated pinterest patterns Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

I like big quilts and I cannot lie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: January 19, 2017 04:04:09 AM »

(Thanks Immaculata!  <3)

I'm looking forward to seeing what y'all do with your quilting!  Smiley  I've often wondered about Craftsy classes too, although I haven't yet tried one.  One thing I have been doing a lot recently is watching Leah Day's cracking video tutorials for the Free-Motion Quilting Project (first one is here).  She starts off quite simple and shows how to build up various space-filling designs.  Once you get over just how scarily good she is, they're very informative.  I'm totally going to try some of her tips about quilting in rows rather than completely at random.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #556 on: January 20, 2017 03:43:37 PM »

Immaculata,I haven't checked out the quilting classes yet, but the other classes I've taken have been pretty decent quality. I love that I can follow along with the video if I need to, and pause it and replay it if I get stuck. And, I like that I can take the classes while I'm still in my PJs!

And, Amazon_warrior, thanks for the link to the FMQ video! I've got it open and I'll be watching it in a bit for some inspiration! Smiley I have a quilt top that I'd like to do some FMQ in rows on, so I'll definitely be interested to learn about that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #557 on: January 20, 2017 04:16:37 PM »

These are the baby quilts my mom and I made in about 3 1/2 (long) days
while I was visiting on my Christmas break. We finished on Dec. 30th, because I thought I was leaving the next day, but it turned out that I was leaving on the 1st. So, we had a day to actually head out and do something besides sew! In the picture above, mine is on the right, and my mom's is on the left. I cut and sew, she pins, presses, and trims! Teamwork!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=451412.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Inspiration Everywhere
Tute Tuesday: Happy Little Tooth
Life is a Fairy Tale

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...