A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I could cry...But I won't. here she is!  (Read 11356 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 05, 2006 09:35:15 PM »

I have my doll all done.  She's a ballerina barbie, nice pale skin.  Like this one:
  I bought her at a thrift store.  She's a little chewed up on hands and nose.  Just a little, though.

I re-rooted her hair because she started off blonde.  I took the hair from a Walmart $1 doll.  It's a straight brown, almost exactly the same color as mine.  I repainted her face to give her brown eyes and better makeup.  And it isn't a bad job, either.  I made her a cool shirt out of underwear that was the same color purple as her always-on tights.  It's nifty, with a little ruffle at the top, and shear, net with tiny flocked flowers.  I made her a black velveteen circle skirt.  I bought a pair of Barbie boots and "painted" them black with permanent marker.  She looks great.  I have a picture of me from a gig a while back...  My hair pulled up in pigtails, though hers is in a pony.  My makeup the same color as hers.  A red velvet top with a bow and a black circle skirt, big black boots...  I have on black tights, but this doll is wearing something I WOULD wear to a gig.  She looks like me.  I could cry.  I spent more on her than I probably should have, to get her just right.  I shouldn't have joined that swap, or I'd have not been running up to the wire.  My parents brought me their digital camera today when I met my mom for shopping.  I've already taken pictures of her.  I'm ready to go.  But my dad brought the wrong cord.  The pictures are stuck on the camera, and there's nothing I can do.  She's perfect.  I could cry.  In fact, I might. 

My only hope at this point is that the powers that be will take pity on me, since I've described her, and let me upload pictures tomorrow, so you can see that I'm not lying.  She's here, she's done, she's perfect, she's stuck.  I'll probably upload pictures anyway, just because she's done and she's right, and I want to show her off, even if I don't get to be part of the voting.  Damn it.  Damn damn.

Edited to add:  Here she is!  The pictures are terrible.  It seems I need to get used to this particular camera.  And I am at work, so I don't have adobe here to touch her up, lighten her up, etc.  So these will have to do.  Just trust me when I say the doll is much cooler in real life.  *sigh*  And, unprepared me, I did not bring the pic of real me to work with me.  My sister, craft-matic, can attest to the similarity, though.  Cheesy

Here she is:

As I said above, the shirt is made from a pair of fancy underwear.  Her skirt is just black velveteen, and doesn't really lay as well as I'd like.  Her hair isn't really meant to stick up like that.  It's just a ponytail.  But it's barbie hair...  I couldn't get it to do a pony tail thing, and I had to lean her up against the wall to get her to stand, so she's got a sort of...peacock thing going on, but it's really just a ponytail, I swear.

Here's a closeup of her face, such as it is, and at least you can see that she has brown eyes.  The makeup job was much better than I expected, though.  And in this picture, you can see how I used the front of the undies to advantage with the bow and ruffles. 

And even though this picture is really blurry, I wanted to show that I paid attention to details.  I have a dragon tattoo on my left shoulder-blade.  Well, I didn't want to try to paint a teeny tiny tattoo, fearing I'd botch it bad, and I couldn't find any teeny-tiny enough dragon decals, so she has a dragonFLY tattoo.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2006 08:51:11 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
the littlest ninja

Feed that mustache, son.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006 09:40:22 PM »

Oh no don't cry!!!  Embarrassed   I'm really excited to see her, she sounds great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take that you stupid corn!
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006 05:28:40 AM »

I hope you post her whether or not she "counts" as an official entry or not. I'd love to see your creation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft-matic
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006 07:33:49 AM »

Drat!  Is the voting today?  Double drat!  I hope they'll let you enter!  Have you PMd Leah?  Awwwwwwwwwww....... ...  Silly dad.  Well, I'll still vote for you if I can!  I know in my heart it's gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006 09:24:47 AM »

It's great! So glad ya got to post it...and the standy-up skirt and static-crazy ponytail are just so classically barbie-type doll looks ... I love it. Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006 09:29:13 AM »

Thanks!  I really wish the pics had turned out better, but they'll do. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006 09:35:46 AM »

I'm glad you got to post.  It would have been a shame if you tech malfunction kept you from posting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006 10:14:47 PM »

So, I've got a few better pics, and thought I'd post them just because I can.  They're still not great because the digicam I've got is a handmedown from my parents with a scratch on the lens, but they're better than the ones above, anyway.  I realize it is of little consequence, but I was really happy with the repaint and reroot, and you just can't see it very well in that pic up there.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inara
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006 11:57:19 PM »

This is just incredible!  For a start, I wouldn't even know where to start to re-root doll hair.  Also, an excellent use of underwear in a non-underwear capacity (they should have a prize for that Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

http://effulgentstudios.etsy.com
http://inara-knits.blogspot.com
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006 05:23:52 AM »

Thanks, Inara.  The process for customizing a Barbie (or any fashion doll, and even some other dolls, like My Little Ponies) is basically simple.  It takes a little skill and your own sort of method to get it done, but it's fun.  This was my first attempt at a re-root, but I've done face repaints, full or partial, before, and that's the thing I really need to work on.  (Having artist quality acrylics to work with would help immensly, but I don't have a lot of money, so she was just done with regular ol' craft acrylic.)  There are several sites out there about customizing Barbies, and they're worth the read.  Also, look up OOAK Barbie on Ebay sometime.  Some of those ladies are superb artists, even if their medium is a little unorthodox.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chattyKathi
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006 10:37:15 AM »

Aw Don't cry !! You did an awesome job very very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006 05:33:33 PM »

Thanks. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Eskisehir Stone Sculpting
How to Make Clay Pottery
How to Make Ceramic Art
Top 5 High Tech Public Art Masterpieces
Ed Seese Glass Marbles Artist in Woodford Virginia Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...