A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
356 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Floral Brooch Pin Tutorial With Pictures  (Read 14743 times)
Tags for this thread: brooch , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2004 03:20:20 PM »

I got this idea from a shirt I saw on sale in a department store. It was a ribbed tank top with a flower on the side of it. I really liked the shirt, but didn't want to dish out the $59.00 for it. So, I made my own, for less than $10.00!
Here's what you need: A pin back, fake flowers, a tank top, and a hot glue gun.

Here's what you do: First, cut off a fake flower that you like. Then, hot glue a pin back the the back of the flower. Finally, let it dry and then pin it to the tank top strap!

Here's me modeling it for you:

Final suggestions and tips:
*Experiment with colours. I picked the white flower with the yellow center because the shirt was yellow, but I could've done any type of fake flower, really.
*Don't put the flower in the washing machine! Take the pin off before washing the shirt.
*This would make a great gift, the whole shirt and flower combination looks designer when done right.

I hope you enjoy it! If you make it, post a picture! I would love to see what you did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004 03:37:34 PM »

Thats really nice...I like it! Dont you just love expensive clothes that cost a fraction of the price to make!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
crashdown
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004 06:03:50 PM »

i just made a bunch of flower pins last night!

i went to garden ridge (a very large crafty kind of store, i don't know if they are everywhere..) and bought clearance and sale silk flowers.
+ look for stems with multiple flowers, not just a stem with one flower. more for your money!
+ and try to find flowers that are wide and flat on the back. i bought some more cup-shaped flowers, but the back of the flower is not flat and there is no where for me to glue a pin Sad i would have to glue it down one of the sides and the flower would then hang lop-sided.
+ i used FloraBond glue. comes in a green tube. i could get a pretty big tube for about three bucks. it's for fake flower arrangements. it works VERY VERY well. the only other glue i tried was jewel glue (for gluing fake jewels and things onto fabric). from reading all the glue bottles i found that there are glues for porous and non-porous materials. since silk flowers are cloth, cloth is porous and you have to make sure you don't use the wrong kind of glue apparently. the jewel glue said for gluing to fabric, but it didn't work at all. i didn't try hot glue, though i bet t works fine. the FloraBond worked well gluing the metal pins to the plastic or the cloth, and for gluing layers of the flower together or the plastic backing onto the flower. Smiley everything.
+ if the back is slightly curved, i bent the pin backing SLIGHTLY so it hugged the curve enough to be glued down.
+ the backs of most of mine show the glue and stuff. i dont care because no one will see the back anyway! but if you dont like it then use another small piece of cloth (i ripped off the cloth leaves and cut them to size) and glue that over the part of the pin you glued down to make it look nicer.

i played with them for hours last night and discovered some trial and error stuff. just depends on how the fake flower is made as to how to take it off the stems and what/if any plastic needs to be left connected. maybe i'll break out my camera and take some pictures. it's really really simple. i bought four stems of flowers and the package of pin backings for 6 dollars. that was thriteen individual flowers, not counting two i couldn't use because the backs were too curved. good deal! little flower pins at the store are like 5 or 6 bucks usually!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004 10:15:29 AM »

+ look for stems with multiple flowers, not just a stem with one flower. more for your money!

Yeah, I took the picture after I'd destroyed the whole stem... there were about five flowers on it. I used little ones to test out the design and the technical stuff before I made the one I wanted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marielle
Da whistles go woo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004 06:15:01 PM »

Love it love it love it! Very clever! Who doesn't love a bargain...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moonunit426
Democrafter

Dear Duct Tape, You hold my life together. <3 M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004 11:02:08 PM »

sometimes you can stick the safety pin through the plastic on the back, eliminating the need for glue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scandibird
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004 12:21:30 AM »

sometimes you can stick the safety pin through the plastic on the back, eliminating the need for glue!

Yeah, I 'unbend' the safety pin, stick it through and the bend it carefully back again. Sometimes the 'loop' looks not-so-round afterwards but it doesn't really matter as no one will see the back... You could use pliers to make it work better probably.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canvas Painting Lesson with Adnan Aybek
Supervillain Origins: Sinestro
Superhero Origins: The Green Hornet
Supervillain Origins: Hector Hammond
Superhero Origins: The Green Lantern
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...