A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Exploding Dog Pillow  (Read 6462 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thecynthesizer

No llamas, but I've got goats and sheep

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2004 11:16:05 AM »

As a testament to my love of everything Sam Brown, I decided to make a bunch of mini pillows featuring Exploding Dog pictures.  This is my first one (actually the first pillow I've ever made at all)  Oh, and a question for all the other pillow makers out there: how do you finish sewing up your pillows after you've stuffed them?  I whipstitched mine (not very well) and was wondering if there is a less visible alternative.  Thanks!

http://members.aol.com/thecynthesizer9/edpillow
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011 02:46:18 PM by MissingWillow » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but you're alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004 01:03:27 PM »

thats really cute, nice work for your first pillow
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004 12:35:40 PM »

how "mini" are these pillows? i don't know if i can stand the cuteness Smiley

there's a stitch called blind stitch that i use to finish up pillows. basically, you fold your edges to the inside and catch a few threads from one side then the other side, instead of going around and around the seam with whipstitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
thecynthesizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004 01:44:22 PM »

That one up there is aout 5 or 6 inches square, but that's about the smallest one..  I'm using iron-on transfer printer paper to put the images from explodingdog.com onto the fabric, so none of them will be bigger than 8.5x11.   Thanks for the tip on the blind stitch!!  I didn't quite understand how to do it from your post so I looked it up elsewhere online and it's just what I wanted.  Thanks for the kind words and the help
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but you're alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
mamabunnycat
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004 08:53:45 PM »

ahh i kept thinking what i could do with those explodingdog.com images (i have an entire folder on my computer of my favorite ones) and i thought maybe I could paint them as a border on my bedroom walls but I really really love the mini pillows idea!
I just have one question.. i used iron on transfer paper once and when i washed the shirt, the image got all crappy looking.. is there a way to keep it nice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecynthesizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004 06:43:10 AM »

If you transfer onto a shirt and want to wash it, turning it inside out should be all you need to do to protect it.  If you need more than that, you could try pinning a washcloth against the image, then turning it inside out and washing it like that.  I heard that method somewhere, don't remember where.  The directions just say turn it inside out.  Also, I used the iron-on transfer paper maybe 5 years ago, and it seems to really have improved.  You can't even see the edge of the image on the fabric.

As far as the pillows go, if anything happens to them, I'll just spot clean them.  I think the transfer side might actually resist stains.

Now what should I do with all the black and white images I get once all the ink is exhausted from the transfer paper? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

supah
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004 07:33:54 AM »

i don't mean to be a wet blanket here but, isn't that kind of stealing his artwork?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thecynthesizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004 09:15:22 AM »

Nope!

can i make my own t-shirts?
sure. if you want to make some t-shirts of drawings feel free. as long as you are not trying to sell them or use them to advertise for your company, i don't mind. make as many as you want.

can i use you art on my site?
if it is a noncommercial or personal site, i probably will not mind. but please give me credit.

do i need permission to print out, email, or download your drawings?
you do not need my permission. i encourage you to use my drawings however you like.
print them out and hang them up.
email them to friends.
paint your own copies of them on your walls.
use them in your powerpoint presentations.

from http://explodingdog.com/answers.html

I use his pictures for a lot of things, and whenever anyone asks about them, I always point them to the website, never try to pass the drawings off as my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

supah
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004 09:22:22 AM »

a-ha! ok! Sorry to be a pest!

p.s. how very generous of him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

justjenn

www.justjennrants.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004 05:12:27 PM »

I LOVE explodingdog.com - and I love how he lets his artwork be used! I used one on the top of my blog.

Great pillow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty & the Beast: A Stunning Pop-Up from Robert Sabuda
Meet Lisa Lutz
Greg Donaldson Talks About Zebratown
Lewis Gordon Pugh Talks About Achieving the Impossible
Susan RoAne Reveals Her Motto
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...