A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Monk's Travel Satchel in Acrylic?  (Read 684 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itsmesosa
« on: February 04, 2006 08:43:55 PM »

I came across this pattern and immediately fell in love.

Looking at some of the comments made, it seems this bag has a tendency to streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch when you put heavier objects in it. And well, what's the point of having such a bag if you can't carry all your stuff in it?

But then inspiration struck.

Cotton stretches.
Wool stretches.
But acrylic doesn't (well, not permanently at least).

So my question is, would knitting this bag in acrylic eliminate the problem of everything stretching out? Would I still have to add a lining and crochet around the gusset to ensure this bag's survival?

If this acrylic thing works out, I just may have a project for the Knitting Olympics.  Cool
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006 10:58:17 PM by itsmesosa » THIS ROCKS   Logged
guitar_girl02
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006 05:02:58 AM »

felt it? o.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
chloe_hippy
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006 07:13:36 AM »

i made this bag in acrylic, and i also knit it at a tighter gauge so i would be tougher, i have yet to line it , but even having knit is as tight as i did it will need to be lined.

it is a very nice bag, and once it is lined i will use it all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itsmesosa
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006 10:39:04 AM »

I wanted to avoid felting it because I've never felted anything before. When I'm not on such a pressing deadline, maybe I'll explore felting this bag, but just switching out for acrylic would make my life so much easier. Also, I think that felting would erase some of the intricacies of this bag. And that would be a shame.

Thank you for answering my question, chloe_hippy! I was thinking about knitting at a tighter gauge too. I guess lining this bag is unavoidable. Oh well, it'll be well worth it. Thanks for the help, guys.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006 10:46:12 AM by itsmesosa » THIS ROCKS   Logged
charity
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006 10:47:38 AM »

That's a really cool bag!  I might have to make that, after I finish my hoodie.  Let us know how it all works out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AWynkoop
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006 09:03:50 AM »

I used that pattern as an inspiration (to be read as " I really do not like to follow direction and like to make it up as i go along") and I knit it from acrylic in my stash.  I use it as my knitting bag (before I was stashing my knitting in large gift bags). I love the fact that the body of the bag will stretch so I can stuff alot into it, that being said, it really does need to be lined cause my needles are always poking through.  I also had to sew felt onto the underside of the strap, cause it would stretch down to my knees when it was full!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Arianna Huffington: 37 Rejections
Arianna Huffington: President & Editor-In-Chief, The Huffington Post
Homemade All-Natural Heating Pad
DIY Playdough with DIY Expert Tanya Memme
How Snow Globes Came to Be
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...