A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
939 Guests and 51 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Bread?  (Read 2000 times)
Tags for this thread: bread  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

honorhappy
« on: February 04, 2006 03:42:48 AM »

I would like to cut down on our processed food intake, and I have always been interested in making my own bread for regular consumption.  I was thinking about getting a bread machine at the local thrift and making use to it.  But I do have a few questions before I really decide.

First of all, I don't have any freezer place.  Seriously.  We only have a mini fridge.  So, is making bread worth the time?  I work part time, so I would have time to make a loaf or two on my days off.  The truth is the boy and I only go through two to three loaves of bread every two weeks or so. 

Secondly, I've heard that making homemade is cheaper.  I spend less than a dollar per loaf.  Obviously, I bet that bread would be healthier and tastier when homemade.  I would like to put a bread machine on my to buy list anyway, but I was wondering if using it for our regular bread intake would be worth it in the long run.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VenusInFurs
Lady Day

Time may change me, but I can't trace time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006 04:08:28 AM »

I make bread all the time.  It's really cheap. 
I don't have a bread machine...I just do it all by hand.  to me, it doesn't seem like that much work, but it is slightly time-consuming.  I also make croissants, buiscuts, rolls, etc.  I would say it's definitely worth it, because there's nothing quite like fresh baked bread, and it is healthier because you can control what goes into your bread.
If you don't have a freezer, I suggest making small recipes (ones that only make one loaf).  You can store your bread in a bread box or in the fridge and it will keep for a few days. 
Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website...I post tutorials and recipes!
stitcheasy2003
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006 05:43:08 AM »

Hi
I have done it both ways by hand and machine. If you have trouble with your hands or arms, use the machine. To save time you can use the bread machine. It takes about 3-3half hours for one loaf (reg) they can be made in two diff sizes (my does 2 sizes) you can other breads, doughs , rolls , etc with it, Did you get a manual? You should have a bread pan in side it, and a maybe depends on machines. a little attachment at the bottom of the pan. You can mixes for the machine or use the recipes and make it from scatch.  yeast, add flour etc.  What is the name of your machine? Do you have a manual ? let me know if you need help on finding a manual or how to do something? good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006 06:04:14 AM »

You could go another route by making soda bread. Very versatile, and all you have to do is mix, shape, and bake. No rising, it's very tasty, and you can make small batches and get a lot of different flavors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chamaecyparis
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006 08:40:57 AM »

If you start making your own bread, you might start to go through more bread than you do now, bacause it will be so much better Wink  Seriously, homemade bread is totally worth the time, since it tastes better and is better for you (no preservatives or "dough conditioners", and you can use more whole grains).  I love making bread by hand, but it does take a while, so if you're pressed for time a bread machine is a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rachel_AM
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006 10:32:09 AM »

I second what chamaecyparis said.  If you start making bread, you will start eating it much faster than you do now. 

Regarding bread by hand vs bread machine:  I prefer bread by hand.  I think the taste/texture of bread by hand is far superior to bread by machine.  Bread by hand doesn't have to be a time consuming project.  Most of the time is spent letting is rise, and I always do something else while that is going on. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Future of Rock and Roll
http://www.woxy.com
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006 10:36:24 AM »

I've never made bread by hand, but I bought my bread machine (Regal Kitchen Pro) at the thrift store for $8.  Then I just ran to the store and bought everything I needed to make a cranberry w/apple juice, cinnamon, and walnut bread (sweet bread- hoorah!).  I probably spent about $8 on supplies and I make 1 loaf each week and this was over two months ago that I purchased my stuff.  I still have supplies.
But the thing I love most about my bread machine is I just throw all this goop into the bucket, press a button, and walk away and 4 hours later the magical bread faeries have done their hard work for me.
Most of all, it's absolutely delicious.
You can make pizza dough, sandwich bread, etc.  I couldn't live without it.  It's become a crutch for me and my baking needs.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
BambiKhantastic
Craftster's Resident Tattoo Artist

Taloola Rocks my World!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006 01:21:56 PM »

Making bread is much easier than we're led to believe. a few hints:

Make sure you use bread flour.
Make sure your yeast is fresh. You can store it in the freezer or the cabinet.
Measure well!
Water should be room temp or very slightly warmer. too cold and your yeast won't activate, too warm and you'll kill it.
Make and Keep a sourdough starter in your fridge!

I've done it by hand, but I love my bread machine too. There's something primal about kneading dough, and it feels really nice in your hands. I use the dough setting on my machine alot, and re-form it into bagettes or, my fave, Crack buns. (mini rolls that I tuck cream cheese into before baking.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SparkleHorse
The Green Fairy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006 01:30:11 PM »

i have to chime in here b/c i've been making bread for years. it is SO much better than store stuff. you'll be spoiled on homemade bread! 

i make two loaves at a time and freeze the halves (not an option for you i realize). i've found i can make perfectly lovely bread with or without bread flour (there is lots of debate about this). if you make whole wheat bread, cut the whole wheat flour with regular flour and use 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil.

i do not use a bread machine. after the first few times i made bread myself, i found i don't need the machine. half the fun for me is making it myself. i do, however, have a Kitchen Aid mixer with a dough hook which works just fine. much less hands-on time so you can go do other stuff while it's kneading. there IS something fun about kneading your own dough though.

also, if i'm pressed for time, i'll let the kneaded dough rise in the fridge overnight.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But why don't you scream now?" Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.

"Why, I've done all the screaming already," said the Queen. "What would be the good of having it all over again?"
mllejessy
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006 02:17:00 PM »

If you have a nice big food processor with a strong motor, you can knead with that, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Korean Barbecue Beef Recipe
Korean Barbecue Marinade Recipe
How to Make Japanese Fried Chicken
Ombré Noodles: Add 50 Shades of Pink to Your Meal
Thai Skirt Steak With Carrot Salad
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...