A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me plan my garden!  (Read 2482 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

honorhappy
« on: February 04, 2006 03:35:22 AM »

I want to plant a small container garden on my patio.  I live in Southern California, and my patio gets full sun most of the day.  I have a black thumb!  I know I want to plant herbs and some edible plants/veggies.  I don't want many flowers, but I few would be nice to use in crafts and soap additives.  Any recommendations?  Tips?  So far all I know is that I'm interested in getting some lavendar and strawbery plants, and a nice aloe vera plant (but I think I will have to keep the aloe vera indoors). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuttibreak
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006 08:45:57 PM »

Mint is the absolute simplest herb to grow! You can completely neglect it and it still thrives.
Rosemary and chives have been easy for me as well. I also grow thyme, basil and oregano---none of them have been finicky or difficult. I'm hoping to add several more herbs this year. I grow vegetalbes, but not in containers. The only thing that I can tell you is that cherry tomatoes grew pretty well for me in containers before I had ground space. Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honorhappy
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006 12:02:06 AM »

good to know about mint, since I have a black thumb!  Cherry tomatoes are defenitely on my list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trip_and_fall
conure slave

Take yo' meds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006 07:07:35 AM »

well, since you live in cali, you can grow about anything!
lucky you!

if you want to attract irsd like hummingbirds i would suggest going to a good local nursury (i know one in mill valley thats really good if you are intrested message me) and getting plants that are NATIVE, i stress that point alot, and that are red or bright colors.  Its also a good idea to get a bird feeder. some easy plants are :  hen and chicks, butterfly bush, lemn balm (i cant kill it!), wandering jew, squash if you want produce, butterly weed, coneflower, cactus's, ice plant, prairie grasses, and many other desert like plants, it what your climate is made for.  try xeriscaping plants. you can search for lots of ideas for xeriscaping on the internet and at you library.  good luck with you garden!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Greetings, I am POOP from outer space
Trip_and_fall
conure slave

Take yo' meds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006 07:14:10 AM »

Roll Eyes silly me

heres some links that would help you
http://www.the-landscape-design-site.com/xeriscapedesignideas.html

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/plantsci/landscap/h957w.htm

http://geography.berkeley.edu/ProjectsResources/CalPlants/califplanttable.html

http://www.cal-ipc.org/dpp/planttypes.php?region=socal

and is there a specific reason you need a potted garden, there's nothing wrong with it, but i would love to plan a garden for you and send you a layout and plant list.

i support any kind of gardening
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atomickiss

i'm so old school, i'm preschool...werd

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006 07:26:46 AM »

just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "I support ANY type of gardening?" hmmmm.....!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

how can you not like muffins? www.muffinfilms.com and come to think of it, www.makingfiends.com.
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006 08:24:45 AM »

I've been doing container gardening for a few years now (ah, the joys of renting) and the best advice I have is to be prepared to water them almost every day, and include some fertilizer in the water every other day.  Sounds insane, I know, but in the cramped quarters of containers, without any recourse to natural supplies, constant fertilization really makes a huge difference!

I've been using Schlutz liquid 10-5-10 on the general plants, and Peter's orchid fertilizer 30-10-10 on bloomers.  They work great, but give me a touch of the heebee-geebies sometimes, when I stop to think.  If anyone has better suggestion, please sing out!

Oh, and a general tip: wear rubber gloves when messing with fertilizer.   (I love the book The Orchid Thief, entertaining, intriguing, and a surprising amount of good info -- but that includes a reference to a guy who almost lost his liver because he had absorbed so many nitrates through his skin and via cuts in his hand...)

Have fun -- fresh rosemary and mint and basil just make life joyful! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
Trip_and_fall
conure slave

Take yo' meds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006 12:46:05 PM »

atomickiss, i just mean i think its a good idea that people get out and plant! its good for the earth and all, and us o2 breathing animals need what the plants make!  Grin and all sorts of buggies and birdies and animals benefit from it

peace out yo  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

prettynpink
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006 10:43:11 PM »

I'm not a native Californian so when I moved to the Coast with my very own front and backyard to fill up I wanted to make sure the plans I picked and planted thrived. So I bought the California Top Ten Garden Guide from my local home and garden store. It will give you plants that thrive best in each zone of California, which ones do best in what lighting, soil and so on. It's is amazing and so helpful. - Amazon Link - which has a ton more links to other related books for California. Smiley

I also second that mint is the insanely easy to grow. There is a big bunch of it outside my backgate that grow wild on its own, thriving in full sun. I don't have any veggies and such growing yet so I can't recommend anything edible. Begonias and Roses have done well out in my front yard, in full sun. Both pretty easy to grow, Begonias being the easiest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally updated my profile info!
auntiem
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006 02:28:32 PM »

Strawberry plants grow really well in my containers - just keep on eye on them. They like to be a little cool - not in full sun. Keep extra planters on hand to plant on the runners that you'll get by the second year.
Alpine strawberries grow well from seed, don't send out runners and have small sweet berries (but not many the first year). They like to keep more contained and I think the plants are prettier year round than regular strawberries.
I've not had much luck with lavender in small pots (it rains a lot here and they are like rosemary - they don't like sitting in wet slow draining soil), but I have several varieties in my small shallow beds - maybe try Spanich flag lavender (really pretty flowers) in a larger container.
I have a monster aloe that summer vacations outside, just ease them into it - leaving it outside longer each day - don't give it much more sun than it gets indoors. Aloes are really easy!
Here is mothra - the monster aloe awaiting his vacation:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006 02:36:44 PM by auntiem » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
9 Knockout Wedding Hairstyles
Get the Best Haircut For Your Face Shape
How to Style Your Hair for a Heart-Shaped Face
Get a Great Hairstyle For an Oval-Shaped Face With Straight Hair
Get the Best Haircut and Style for a Square-Shaped Face
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...