A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me plan my garden!  (Read 2387 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tomico
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006 12:06:05 PM »

If you have to water every day you may be doing it wrong. When you water it should be a very deep watering and maybe once or twice a week. You could get self watering pots that are watered from the bottom. Deep watering will allow the roots to grow deeper and make the plant sturdier. Also, add a mulch to the top after you plant and water the first time. If you over fertlize you could end up with a lot of leaf and very little bloom or fruit.
   I've read a few books on growing foods in small spaces and in pots. "The Edible Container Garden" is great as well as "The Postage Stamp Garden." "The Edible Container Garden" even has a guide in the back to tell you how deep a plant needs to have for grow space. Miracle grow has a couple of types of potting mediums that seem to be great for potted gardens.
   I've been having trouble getting my lavender to sprout. It needs to be in a poor, sandy soil. I don't think most potting soil is right for it to start. I'm going to try sprouting it in wet paper towels next time, or maybe I should just by the plant.
   Aloe vera is great outside if you want to leave it out. It is a desert plant, after all.That is definately a leave alone plant. Water it very little in the winter (I have forgotten it for two months. It still lives very happily after ten years of sporadic neglect) and a little more in the summer.
   There are gauges that help you with the watering. You just stick it in and then it will give you a reading of how wet the soil is. It will come with a guide to give you an idea when to water for what plant.
   I love flowers that are edible. I can have something that looks great and eat it as well.
   One of the most usefull flowers is the pot marigold or collendula: it has edible flowers, is a medicinal plant, tea plant, brewing plant, can be a cheep substitute for saffron in rice, a dye plant, and is used in natural cosmetics, and is a common companion plant. The whole nastrurtium can be eaten. The flowers are a little spicy, can be eaten raw, added to a salad, placed in butter, and can be pickled, the greens are great in salads and the seeds can be made into "capers." Tulips are an early spring flower that tastes a bit like cucumber. They are good in salads or can be stuffed and baked. They can easily be replaced with other things later in the season. Day lilies can be eaten the same way. Squash flowers are also a good stuffed or can be deep fried.
   If you decide to grow squash, vining beans, climbing nasturtiums or any other trailer ar climber remember to provide something for them to climb. One of those old fashion wooden clothes drying wracks are good as well as trelisses. Vertical space is most often over looked.
   One last thing, If growing on a balcony find out what the weight capacity is so you don't end up falling into your neighbors porch.

Tomico

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Color with Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with Perspective
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Straighten with the Measure Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Automate Crop and Straighten
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...