A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: This is Not a Pipe Dream costume help  (Read 1247 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aly_421
i <3 theatre, but not the DRAMA.

anyone home?? echO-O-O-O-o....

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2006 01:12:06 PM »

so, last play i was Head Costume Girl (actually, only costume girl)..and I had to make someone headless. i managed to do that and now theatre is recruiting me for this play's costumes.
well, that's not the whole story...the whole story is that i volunteered to HELP with costumes. Since we are doing two one-acts this time, Jes (Head Costume for the other one and my director from the play which i was head costume.....confused yet?) is Head Costuming the other play, Wiley [and the Hairy man, but for times sake..just wiley]. Now, I got into ensemble for Pipe Dream..Pipe Dream is going to a drama festival (BIG STUFF!) and the girl who said she would head costume for it isn't allowed to because she'll be in france during production week. So, the duty was passed on to me today. quite forcibly too. "Sooo...since melanie can't head costume for Pipe Dream, and i'm heading up Wiley...you should probably take charge of that"

ANYWAYS. on to what i need help with.
I NEED AT LEAST TWELVE SUITS/TOPCOAT THINGS AND PROBABLY 15ISH BOWLER CAPS FOR THIS PLAY.
problem: they all have to be identical.
problem: my sewing team is very limited.
problem: we don't have a big budget.
problem: suits are hard to make.
problem: 3 weeks...well, opening night is march 9th, but i need these by Feb. 20th (i think)
so two and a half.

um..so i have a few questions to those who can answer them..
question: would it look okay to make them out of muslim (since it's super cheap) and dye them all black?
question: i also would need a period dress. think charlie chaplin times...like early 1900s. any patterns you can point me in the direction of?
question: if anyone is in the new england area.......can you help me? just come to John Stark Regional High School (google for directions, first one that comes up!) on Saturdays at 11 (usually 11-3 or 4..it's a work call where most peple work on set, but i work on costume...we usually feed you!)

RIGHT. and the play is about Rene Magritte's life. you can look his stuff up on google. he's really amazing. he has a hard time with words so...the famous one is a painting of a pipe and underneath it says "ceci nes't pas un pipe" meaning this is not a pipe. and a pipe dream is an impossible dream, and rene's father thinks his dream of becoming an artist is a pipe dream, so obviously he proves him wrong in real life...
ok, that was just a 5 second background on the play.

PLEASE HELP!
KTHANKS.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006 01:15:47 PM by Aly_421 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/aly421

too many mutha ucka's, uckin with my shi
theres too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
how many mutha ucka's?
too many too count! mutha ucka.
starlette13
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006 01:15:11 PM »

how identical do they need to be? could you go to value village or something and get a bunch of plain black suits? they get soooooo many of them there
then, just alter them to fit each person. maybe in that case the actors would be willing to pay 5-10 bucks each for them, as they'll end up having a custom tailored suit?

i've done it before, for myself and for a friend - not too difficult.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aly_421

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006 01:17:26 PM »

we have a goodwill closeby, but i had to look through their suits for the last play, and none of them could work.
i don't even think they have 15! ha...
so, not really an option  Undecided
although, that would be so much easier and make my life good..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/aly421

how many mutha ucka's?
starlette13
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006 01:20:24 PM »

is there a large thrift store nearby that someone could drive to? in the next town? maybe a teacher?...

do you guys not have value village down there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aly_421

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006 01:23:01 PM »

no there was nothing at our thrift store. i don't think the teachers would work, although i'll ask around...

not anywhere near (that i know of)...and you mean up here? unless you're in maine...or canada.......or the north pole.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/aly421

how many mutha ucka's?
starlette13
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006 01:35:45 PM »

nope, i'm in canada
they're all over the place in the lower mainland (kinda around vancouver british columbia area, where i'm from)

the one down the street from my school literally has an entire row of suits
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joesherryw
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006 01:35:58 PM »

I used to live down there (I'm in AK now) Grin Anyway, If you wanted to try the thrift route you could head to the Garment district, in Cambridge MA. They have vintage clothes there, so maybe you could find your dress there. Plus there are a ton of other thrift stores in the area. I know it would be a day trip, but it would be fun and hopeful. Also I know in Leominster, MA there was a pretty big salvation Army there plus an abundance of other thrift stores. I think that going to the thrift stores could probably be a really good start, so that way you don't have to sew as much. Wink Good Luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

doeayes
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006 02:02:38 PM »

got a tuxedo rental place that sells the coats as they get worn?  that's how i bought a tailcoat for a Mardi Gras ball.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparklytaco
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006 05:01:14 PM »

God. I admire your bravery. I'm sorry I don't have advice to offer but I really just wanted to say, godspeed. <3

My dance company needed about the same number of tux jackets for the Nutcracker, so I think they got a good deal on some gently worn ones from a rental place. That's really all I got. Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006 08:41:21 PM »

3 weeks is NOT enough time to make that many suits--even in muslin, which frankly would look horrible anyway.  what gives a suit its' shape is the way it is literally molded in the construction, and you can't just cut a piece of muslin in a jacket shape and have a thing that looks like a suit jacket.

the solution is EBAY!  you will find literally dozens of vendors who will happily work out a deal with you on that many coats/suits.  i've bought entire tuxedos on ebay for what it would cost to buy one suit at a local thrift store, and most vendors have dozens of identical coats.  you don't need specific sizes in pants, because they are so easily altered, but you do want to get something that is the right size jacket because altering a suit jacket in such a way that it doesn't look butchered is really hard to do even on a costume.

for bowler hats, order costume-quality online from a costume shop, they will cost around $6.00 each plus shipping.

about the period dress--what kind of dress???  fashion changed a lot between 1900 and 1910--just as it does now--so you need to narrow down the time frame.  what does the actress need to do in the dress?  what is her station in life?  her marital status (yes, it makes a difference)?  assuming she is french, is she a parisian, or provencial?  (sorry, english is my second language and french is way down the list, so spelling might be wrong on that word).  i just finished making over 70 costumes for that period so i'm very familiar with the era and have lots of documentation i can refer to in helping you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Turn a Hoodie Into a Bag
How to Turn a Hoodie Into a Laptop Bag
How to Turn a Paper Clip Into a Safety Pin
How to Turn Old Magazines Into a Coiled Paper Basket
How to Convert Photos to Cross-Stitch Designs
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...