A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: creative wrapping paper/ wrapping paper alternative?  (Read 5393 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

K8upL8
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004 07:07:37 AM »

The guy at the chinese take out restaurant saves me his old papers, they are cooler than your regular paper and they come in handy for lots of things, including wrapping gifts.(and I have an excuse to go get chinese... LOL )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004 01:59:36 PM »

On my birthday I got oodles of great presents from my friends, all beautifully wrapped. But at the end, an apologetic friend handed me a parcel and said 'Sorry it's wrapped like that, I had no paper left.@ She'd wrapped it in a newspaper. And I loved it! It was the best of all the gifts cos of the brilliant wrapping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
SecretlyPunkBanker
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2004 02:38:41 PM »

- Go to your local Chinese market (or Chinese take-out place) and get take-out boxes.  Insert gift.  Add ribbon, stickers, chopsticks, whatever. (I got 50 1/2 gallon size boxes at the local market for <$10.  If you ask the take-out guy nicely, you could get a few for a buck...)

- Decoupage both pieces of a shoebox or (for larger gifts) a paper box.  It doesn't get ruined when opened and can be reused, either as wrapping or decorative storage.

- I once wrapped a present for my brother in law in a free t-shirt i'd gotten.  The bonus (for me) was that it was a "make 7... up yours" T.  he's not my favorite b-i-l.   

- Pages from oversized magazines or catalogs.  I get a gorgeous catalog from a high-end chocolate place, and can't resist using the pages for wrapping.

- Use shredded paper (junk mail, etc.) as filler instead of tissue paper.  Tissue paper is my nemesis!!!  You can also use plain popcorn, though that's a bit messier.   The shredded paper works really well for gift bags.  And it's still recyclable and reusable!

- Put 'em in a record bowl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004 08:13:14 AM »

Large sheets of Kraft paper and potatoes...and/or whatever else is lying around!

As someone who doesn't trust her drawing abilities to do very much, I love making prints of things.

I can't draw for crap, but I love doing potato prints!  I usually use brown paper grocery bags, cut open and laid flat, for wrapping.  I'll stamp names, initials, seasonal-type shapes (snowflakes, trees, whatever).  Half the time I can't find paint in the house, but we always seem to have red wine around, so I'll boil wine (usually the oxidized dregs in a mostly empty bottle) until it's reduced by at least half or more.  It makes a beautiful, subtle "ink", and complements the brown paper really nicely.  Then a little raffia or ribbon to tie the package and wah-la!

Btw, artgeek, those links were great.  I can't believe some of those drawings were potato prints -- so elaborate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SecretlyPunkBanker
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004 01:47:23 PM »

You can also fold your own gift boxes.  I've used cereal boxes that I've flattened, then fold so the blank side faces out, and decorate.  Can also cover in fabric, which looks very luxe when complete.

Milk carton:
http://www.thriftdeluxe.biz/projects/carton.asp

Many different kinds:
http://www.ruthannzaroff.com/mirkwooddesigns/templates.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Curly Hair for a Long Face
How to Style Coarse Hair for a Round Face
How to Style Fine Hair for a Long Face
How to Style Curly Hair for a Heart Shaped Face
How to Style Curly Hair for an Oval Face
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...