A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: creative wrapping paper/ wrapping paper alternative?  (Read 5508 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theczarina

if you were a mermaid, i was the sea

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2003 05:45:56 PM »

with christmas coming, i'm dreading covering glamourous gifts with lame wrapping paper.  anyone got any creative ideas for wrapping?  please help!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003 04:36:20 AM by theczarina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I want god, I want poetry, I want danger, I want freedom, I want goodness, I want sin" - Aldous Huxley
squidget
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003 02:45:50 PM »

You could make custom paper by taking 2 pieces of wax paper and sprinkling glitter, rose petals or whatever inside and ironing them together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squidget
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003 02:49:53 PM »

Try this post too
http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=676
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Valoir

I knew I could make it myself!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004 01:28:03 PM »

I wrapped these up for my 7th year anniversary with my boyfriend.  I used old magazine ads and taped them together into a big sheet.

I don't think I will buy wrapping paper ever again, not when there is so much paper out there to be recycled!

Valerie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's all jewelry all the time!
http://www.valoirdesigns.com
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004 06:09:51 PM »

well, there are simple cloth bags, just sew up three sides of two squares together, then tie at top with ribbon.

or just wrap using cloth as you would paper.

or take a sheet of saran wrap, sprinkle glitter on top, then cover with another sheet of saran and smooth them together.  the gift shows through a little, but it looks cool, takes no time, and is pretty cheap.  you can also just smooth two sheets next to each other on the top and bottom if you need it larger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamasmurf
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004 08:54:54 PM »

I'm lazy and I can't beleive the rip off prices of wrapping paper (and refuse to buy any). So what I do is buy rolls of brown paper for $2 and get my son to go crazy with paint and glitter. He's paints with brushes, stamps, makes leaf prints, his hands and feet ect. He loves it, I get 5 min to myself and some awsome wrapping paper. He also is likes to collage with magazines, bits of fabric ect as well.

And because xmas is in the summer time in Oz, it's a great outdoor activity for my son, and makes cleaning up a breeze (I just hose him down!!!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pipu

pipu said "peep!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004 09:09:48 PM »

My old roommate had a policy:  the wrapping had to be useful.  She would give me presents wrapped in tea-towels, t-shirts, scarves, etc.  It's like getting two presents in one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artgeek
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004 08:03:15 AM »

Large sheets of Kraft paper and potatoes...and/or whatever else is lying around!

As someone who doesn't trust her drawing abilities to do very much, I love making prints of things. Simple instructions on potato printing can be found here, but don't limit yourself to potatoes. Try other vegetables or any object lying around that you can wash the paint off of or don't mind chucking (e.g., nuts, bolts). If you want to go beyond the basic one-color stamp, you could always create shaded potato prints or go whole hog like this woman.

Anyway, simple and fun for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Recently completed:  a set of Ani Difranco kitchen towels  |   Currently taking up my craft desk:  massive reorganization of my stuff
bonvoyagemonde

time is on my side

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004 09:15:09 PM »

i remember reading this idea in some teen magazine. they went to some office supply store, made copy of their old show tickets & made wrapping paper out of that. you could either use that, old letters (if you're a nerd like me & save them) ect..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a civil world like this it always sells itself.
snappleapple
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004 01:18:23 AM »

Maybe you could use the sunday comics as wrapping paper. Its not exactly glamourous, but its fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Out of your Comfort Zone
How to Use Selective Focus
How to Use Unconventional Cropping
How to Create Rembrandt Lighting
How to Create Backlight Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...