A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Drag" Doll DIY Twin Cake: She ain't image heavy, she's my drag queen cake  (Read 29779 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 03, 2006 02:54:00 AM »

So a few years ago some friends and I decided to do drag for Halloween - I know, a safe time to dress up like a woman and no one bats an eye - plus it's mandatory if you live in San Francisco.

Anyhow for my DIY Twin Project I thought I would replicate the costume AND give the Barbie Doll Cake a run for her money.  Hence my Drag Queen Doll cake.  With a blonde boufant wig and big old wedding dess, I was a lovely bride (sans groom and the right to legally wed).

This cake is made the same way as other doll cakes, but instead of Barbie, Skipper or the currently popular Bratz - I thought I'd give GI Joe his don't ask, don't tell moment. 

Here's what he looked like before a quick trip to the TreSemme Hair Salon and L'Oreal Paris Make Up Station:

...and here's what he looks like now:

Here's the tute, if anyone wants to make their own Drag Doll Cake - pop in the Scissor Sisters for ultimate inspiration as you decorate the cake.

The makeover begins with a little glitter glue, red marker for the lips and blush and false eyelashes.  I used painted map pins as earrings.  Remember it's easier to decorate the doll first, before placing it in the cake. 

Next, make the cake from a mix - no need to bake a cake from scratch - the fun is in the decorating. You'll need two boxes, one for the dome shape and one for the round cake pan.

I used a metal Kitchen Aid bowl and a size appropriate round cake pan, for the first level of the cake.   This helps make the cake a little higher, especially if your dude doll is tall.

Allow the cake to cool before you start decorating.  Frost the top of the bottom round cake and place the dome shape on top.  Cut a hole out of the center to insert the doll. 

Next, apply a crumb coat (a thin layer of frosting) all around the cake - an off set spatula is perfect for this process.

I added gumball falsies (the bigger the better) use Royal Icing to hold them in place. 

Once the doll is inserted in to the cake, add a frosting wig.  I used yellow frosting and sprinkled it with yellow sanding sugar, for that extra sparkle.  Notice the aluminum foil robe - fancy & fabulous yes - but its purpose is to keep the sugar off the rest of the cake.   

If you have a cake decorating set - all the better - decorative tips and bags make the decorating process much easier and a little more professional looking, plus you can get waves in the hair and more detail in the dress. 

Pipe frosting down the sides of the cake and fill in with the decorative tip you like most.  There aren't any rules when you do a drag cake.

You can further embellish the cake with candy, dragees or sequins that are removed prior to eating...

Grab yourself a cocktail and celebrate with my Edible DIY Twin (Cake)

<<<THIS JUST IN>>>

Okay kids - so I wasn't able to find the actual photograph of me in the wedding dress and will now admit - I've done drag more than once (oh drag-lifestyle I wish I knew how to quit you...) so here is a shot of me as one ugly "stewardess" for a San Francisco-based bus company.

BUT - I was able to "replicate" the bride costume combining two photographs - my face...with my mother's wedding photo.  Sigmund Freud wise cracks are verboten.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006 10:37:07 AM by stevenjames » THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
bloomers

do some jean-claude-van damage!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006 04:40:19 AM »

woaahhhhh!!!! amazing!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thats my locomotion you're standing on
poo head

I didn't really drop my baby! No hate mail!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006 05:08:33 AM »

i'm so turned on, mmm men that can be as bitchy as me thats sexy! (don't tell hubby don't want to mess w/ his masculinity)... hehe not really but that is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do a personal swap for any boyish nursery print flannels! I can send polymer clay charms, purses, paper crafts, microscope slide pendant kit, and a lot more.

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
VaxGirl
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006 05:37:30 AM »

A man in drag, and cake too!  Life just doesn't get any better than this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissyMafia
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006 06:00:17 AM »

AHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

thats awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

octopickle.etsy.com
laurlala

They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006 06:10:12 AM »

i LOVE it.

and you know what would make me love it even more? a picture of you in YOUR drag costume : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catching my breath is the term i use when the world gives up on me -pepper

I wish I could drink like a lady / I can take one or two at the most / Three and I'm under the table / Four and I'm under the host - dorothy parker

http://livelearnlaughlove.blogspot.com
xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006 06:50:03 AM »

I love your cake! (And to tell you the truth, I'm 90% certain I was a drag queen in a past life, so this is extra special.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
foufigirl

Sketchbook Project Theme: In Flight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006 08:46:50 AM »

wow! that is fantastic- great work!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006 08:52:17 AM »

That's awesome! I want a drag queen cake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006 09:27:43 AM »

i LOVE it.

and you know what would make me love it even more? a picture of you in YOUR drag costume : )

It was a wild evening and a horrible morning after, so few pics exists, but I'm trying to find a pic to scan as it was pre-digital camera. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Santa-Inspired Look
4 Ways to Dress Up For Any Holiday Party
Top 5 Sexy Christmas Costumes
Shop These 4 NYE Dresses Right Now
Rent The Runway Takes On Fifth Avenue
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...