A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
710 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tie Dye Anyone?  (Read 1922 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

feedyourcat
« on: June 19, 2004 12:23:02 PM »

is anyone really knowledgable with tie dye? i would just like to know who makes the bes types of dye, cheapest,etc, or if its better to make your own. i know various techniques on the actual dying but haven't done it in a few years... just lookin for some advice! any ideas are appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moefen
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004 06:59:29 PM »

Kind of depends on what you are dying....

For really brilliant colour, and very permanent (like never,ever wash out) results on cotton (and other PLANT fibers), one of your best bets is a dye called Procion MX.  It chemically bonds with the fibres, which is why it never fades or washes out.  It is a little more pricey to get yourself set up to use, as you buy little cans or packs of dye, and you do need another couple of chemicals (soda ash, and probably Urea).   But if you are planning on doing more than one or two shirts, it can be really worth it.  The results are astounding...

If you just want to do one shirt, go ahead and use RIT or Tintex or Dylon.  For the most colour fast results add lots of salt to your water (if you are dying cotton) or lots of vinegar (if you are dyig silk).

Mix the dyes really strongly (like probably double whatever they recommend on teh box), and heat your dye up.  Heat really helps the colours become brighter.  There is info on the net about dying in the microwave... that might help get stronger colours.

Ok, here's a link... Dharma trading (a great online dye store) has kits for tie dyeing using Procion MX, good price too
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2170-AA.shtml

They also have a page with more info about tie-dyeing than you could ever want to know
http://www.dharmatrading.com/tie-dye/

Best of luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mffowler
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004 09:44:25 AM »

Tie-dye is easy! Basically, it involves three main steps:

1. Washing and folding the fabric, typically a 100% cotton t-shirt.
2. Mix dye, water and a chemical fixative.
3. Let is rest for 12-24 hours, rinse and enjoy!

Moefen is right about Procion MX dye being the best for tie-dye! Besides being the most-vibrant and permanent dye, it's very forgiving and wonderful for folks of all ages to work with.

I advocate an "activated dye" method that puts the soda ash (dye fixer) into the dye squeeze bottles vs. the traditional "soda soak" method. Large groups tend to bring their own 100% cotton shirts to a group project and having the ability to pre-soak these shirts isn't realistic. By simply, misting (w/ water) a pre-washed shirt and using "activated dye", you''ll get great results every time.

I'd love to help you get great results with your next tie-dye project, so feel free to post or contact me with questions or comments. I also put plenty of "how to tie-dye" instructional information online at: www.tie-dyed.com - see "Instructions" or join and post on our free Tie-Dye Forum: forum.tie-dyed.com

We also have an upcoming "Art of Tie-Dye" DVD release that gives all the secrets of the pros away! For folks who have never tie-dyed, you might consider a "Tie-Dye Kit" that includes instructions for folding and dyeing, as well as all of the necessary materials, minus the blank apparel, but 100% cotton white apparel can easily be purchased for around $2 a shirt.

Regards,.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004 09:48:58 AM by mffowler » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michael Fowler  / Tie-Dyed.com

Join the Tie-Dye Forum!
>>>>> forum.tie-dyed.com
Crafty Jule
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004 04:12:39 PM »

This SUPER simple... I just did this a a gift for a freinds, it turned out real cute.

http://www.makingfriends.com/tiedyesocks.htm   TIE DYE with SHARPIE markers!  Couln'd be much easier!
Sharpies come is some awesome colors now too!   http://www.sharpie.com/sanford/consumer/sharpie/productcatalog/tipfamilydetail.jhtml?attributeId=SNATT40201&currentType=SNTYPE004

I got them for 87 cents each at Walmart.

Jule
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Finishing the Beyoncé Knowles Style
Curling the Hair - Beyoncé Knowles
Sectioning the Hair - Beyoncé Knowles
Celebrity Hairstyles - Beyoncé Knowles
Finishing the Jessica Simpson Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...