A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 306,352
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fish Homes  (Read 7571 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006 06:34:09 PM »

Glad to be of service!  Wink

The bettas liked the otos best -- they were fun to chase, but could never be caught, and didn't harass the bettas.  I've recently changed to corys because they are more durable (any odd flux in temp or Ph and the otos drop like flies) but the current betta (his name is Hector, by the way) finds the current pair a bit rambunctious for his taste. Whichever you get, choose the shy-est ones in the tank to buy and this will help them get along.

Have fun!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
LadyCregga
keeper of the castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006 07:14:42 PM »

I have had a male beta in a 5 gallon tank by hiself and he loved it.
And I have had a female in a 10 gallon community tank with danios(zebra and leopard) neons, scissor tail rasboras,ottos,ghost shrimp and african dwarf frogs.
She did well.But after she died I got another male(a green one!) and they other fish killed him as soon as I let him out of the net breeder.(I put him in there so maybe they would get used to haveing a stranger around)
I think it just depends on the fish.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! -- What a Ride! -- Anonymous
PimpernelSmith

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006 08:38:58 PM »

Cool! That's good to hear -- the book I mentioned lists most of the companions you mention, but I feel much more comfortable hearing it validated by someone in the real world.

Right now all I've room/support for is a three gallon tank, so I've had to stick to a max of four - five fish, all of them dwarf breeds (other than the betta, I've two corys and a mini pleco in there).  Hidden in the basement, however, is a ten gallon tank, and SOMEDAY ---   Cool

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
elifante
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006 02:43:06 PM »

Ive already mentioned that I have a one gallon vase I keep my fishy, Oscar, in. He seems to like it. And its really easy for me to clean the water, I just transfer him between the old and new filtered one. But when you start getting a bigger tank and more fish, Im assuming once you get a built in filter, you wont have to actually take the water out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006 03:38:58 PM »

Ive already mentioned that I have a one gallon vase I keep my fishy, Oscar, in. He seems to like it. And its really easy for me to clean the water, I just transfer him between the old and new filtered one. But when you start getting a bigger tank and more fish, Im assuming once you get a built in filter, you wont have to actually take the water out?

Sort of.  When you get a tank with a filter you change less of the water, less often.  So, for example, at school where there is a betta in a goldfish bowl, we transfer him into a cup, dump & rinse the bowl, refill, and replace the fish -- but we have to do this once a week, every Friday, without fail.  At home with the filtered tank and additional fish to eat algae, poo and leftovers, I syphon off maybe 25% of the water every 10-15 days and replace it with fresh -- no transfer required -- just to keep things at optimum.  Some people do more, some less.  A lot depends on you.  If you feed your fish in tiny bits, several times a day, then there tend to be few leftovers floating around.  And some foods are messier than others.... etc. etc. 

Did that make any sense at all?   Huh  I'm feeling fuzzy-headed today, and I'm not sure I'm making a lot of sense...  Roll Eyes

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beetlepose
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006 09:37:41 PM »

Water plants that you can buy from the pet store are inexpensive and great for betas.  I have one called a money wart in my betas vase and he loves it.  You can also use house plants that like loads of water.  Betas love to swim around in roots or water plants.  I've tried having 'house' type things and they never seem to go in them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elifante
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006 09:07:00 AM »

That makes perfect sense Pimpernel, thank you. Im actually going to try to buy a five gallon tank for my betta today, see how he likes that. Ive never gone all out for a fish before.

I had a water plant from pet smart before (before the bamboo) and it totally rotted itself in the water, it was so gross and smelly.

I read somewhere that leftover betta food makes them sick so you have to make sure to watch that they eat it. I sit there and watch him eat each little morsel.

Now theyre at the bottom, but I used to have these little shells I put in the bowl, and since I dropped them right on top, they floated on top for a while, and he loved poking at them and seeing them bob up and down. Until he knocked the air of of them and they floated to the bottom.

Im so excited about getting a new tank.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006 04:07:16 PM »

Now theyre at the bottom, but I used to have these little shells I put in the bowl, and since I dropped them right on top, they floated on top for a while, and he loved poking at them and seeing them bob up and down. Until he knocked the air of of them and they floated to the bottom.

Im so excited about getting a new tank.

I think that's one of the reasons I'm so in love with bettas -- they have a sense of playfulness to them that I've never seen in other fish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IMIS
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006 04:36:26 PM »

This a picture of the Betta Bowl( yes specifically for bettas) that my betta is living in right now. He's a very happy betta, because compared to the little jar which I put him in, which was really cruel( but I had no bowl yet when I brought him home) to keep him in, this is like a castle to him, and it really is big! I got it at my local petco in Brooklyn NY. It also came with water purifier tablets, some food, gravel, and a tree. By the way, does your beta jump too? He keeps jumping lately. Hope this helps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am looking to swap for knitting needles and supplies! If you are interested in doing a PERSONAL SWAP with me, please PM me! Thanks!!!
PimpernelSmith

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2006 08:12:33 PM »

By the way, does your beta jump too? He keeps jumping lately. Hope this helps!!

Yep!
Actually, bettas are notorious for committing accidental suicide by jumping out of their bowls!  It's generally a good idea to keep the water level low enough that they can't get high and clear the edge...or to have a screen of somesort over the top. 

Doesn't it feel great to rescue them from those tiny little whatzits they're bred and sold in?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Atomic Buffalo Turds Recipe
How to Buy a Grill and Grilled Branzino Recipe
How to Make a Savory Bread Pudding
How to Boil Macaroni and Make Roux
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...